Knitting Camp 2007 report LONG

Old July 21st 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Default Knitting Camp 2007 report LONG

On Jul 21, 3:05 pm, (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

What does Blackberrying mean ????

Remind me of "bunburying" from The Importance of Being Ernest.

VP

Old July 21st 07, 11:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

What a great report Shelagh, thanks a ton!!!
Dennis

The day (Tuesday July 10) I flew into Denver didn't start out well. Our
plane was 2 ½ hours late leaving the airport.. However, that said, the
course instructor made my day look like a picnic in the park. She was
flying in from Chicago (I think).. her flight was cancelled, and somehow she
ended up in Dallas. She had to overnight on a cot (!) in the airport and
was "hit on" by a bus driver while there. Sheesh. When she finally arrived
at our hotel on Wednesday night, her luggage was off somewhere else. The
next day, during the classes she often referred to her luggage as being "on
the beach in Hawaii". At least she still had her sense of humour.

Our classes this year were on Fair Isle, and I learned so much! I also
learned that it's unlikely I'll ever knit a Fair Isle sweater. I managed to
learn to knit with my left hand (yay!) so that I could do two colour
stranding with a colour in each hand. I felt like a kid just learning to
knit. I also learned to steek! I definitely got my money's worth on this
course. I found out I have no talent for picking colours and was truly
amazed at the people that were so good at it.

We enjoyed our instructor (Candace Eisner Strick) so much she has been
invited back next year to conduct classes in lace shawls with or without
beading. This course will be right up my alley, since I love knitting lace.

One of the participants on the course was Peggy Jo Wells, the Vice-President
of Brown Sheep yarn. As Mary Pat said earlier, Peggy was a treasure trove
of information on yarn. And, a lovely person too!

The morning after my arrival my two "partners in crime", Mary Pat, Barbara
and I were off on a yarn crawl. Pure heaven! We went to Lambspun, where I
ended up buying an Alice Starmore book "Fishermen's Sweaters". After
Lambspun, we were off to another fab yarn store called "My Sister Knits".
This store is located in the carriage house behind the owner's residence.
It's very cozy and friendly. While there I picked up a skein of hand
painted mohair/silk blend in a soft pink/apple green combo. This was very
pricey and I only bought it because I was on vacation (grin). It will
likely become a lacey scarf.

Mary Pat & I have a little thing where we exchange a little gift every year,
since this is the only time we are able to meet up in person. She gave me a
lovely book called "Wrapped in Comfort" - a book on lace shawls. It also
has a couple of patterns for some lovely scarves. Also included was a
coffee mug with a picture of yarn on it, as well as this saying "Great Yarns
Knit Friends Together". Stuffed in the mug was a set of needle holders for
my sock dpns.

Almost every night we all went out for dinner, usually to Fort Collins
re-energized downtown area. Some of you might be familiar with Austin's and
the Rio Grande.

I hated to leave, but all good things must come to an end. Luckily I had
made a new friend who is also from Manitoba, and on the same flight going
home. It helped the hours spent waiting at the airport fly by.

However, we were in our little puddlejumper plane, ready to push back from
the gate, when the pilot informed us we had a bald spot on our nosewheel
tire. It took them 15 to 20 minutes to change it, but I was glad they had
found it - who wants your nosewheel tire to blow out on landing?? Not me.
Our landing in Winnipeg was smooth, and I was back in the real world, left
to dream about camp next year. (smile).

Shelagh

Old July 21st 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

What a wonderful adventure, Shelagh! I have never heard of knitting
camps before and will now see if I can find any near me (Mystic,
Connecticut, USA). How great to have such good friends to laugh and
share with. Thank you for all the wonderful details. I felt like I was
there myself (I wish! LOL!)

Wendy
A Knitting Fool in CT

Old July 21st 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot[_2_]

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Spampot may your sister have a safe flight !!!!!
mirjam

What does Blackberrying mean ????

Mirjam, I just sent this joke to my sis- who just "blackberry'd" me that
she was sitting in traffic and just found out her hour-long flight has
been delayd two hours!

Oh, sorry, that was a bit of a joke; she e-mailed me from her
Blackberry, which is the name of one of the earliest palmtop computers
that allowed e-mail and web-surfing. I could have said just "e-mailed"
but Blackberries have become a standard for that kind of device.

I also have started saying "netflixed" instead of "rented" a video,
since we only go to Netflix because they have many many times more
titles than rental stores like Blockbuster.
Old July 21st 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"spampot" ""spampot\"@NO SPAM orph.org" wrote in message
Blackberry, which is the name of one of the earliest palmtop computers
that allowed e-mail and web-surfing. I could have said just "e-mailed"
but Blackberries have become a standard for that kind of device.

Well, there you go.... I thought a Blackberry (aside from the fruit, which I
love by the way) was a cell phone. Thank you for clarifying that. ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

Old July 21st 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot[_2_]

Not Likely wrote:
"spampot" ""spampot\"@NO SPAM orph.org" wrote in message
Blackberry, which is the name of one of the earliest palmtop computers
that allowed e-mail and web-surfing. I could have said just "e-mailed"
but Blackberries have become a standard for that kind of device.

Well, there you go.... I thought a Blackberry (aside from the fruit, which I
love by the way) was a cell phone. Thank you for clarifying that. ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

It might be; it's got lots of features, and I"m not familiar with all of
them. But it's got a tiny keyboard (which is why blackberriers get
thumb pain from overuse).
Old July 21st 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"myswendy" wrote in message
ups.com...
What a wonderful adventure, Shelagh! I have never heard of knitting
camps before and will now see if I can find any near me (Mystic,
Connecticut, USA). How great to have such good friends to laugh and
share with. Thank you for all the wonderful details. I felt like I was
there myself (I wish! LOL!)

Wendy
A Knitting Fool in CT

I'm glad you enjoyed the report. If you would like to see some pictures,
one of the women who was there (and who is a wonderful knitter) has a blog
and has two separate posts on it. Be sure to scroll down to read the first
one. I loved the pic on the woman (Edie) with the "rolling" yarn store. The
pic is actually of her big truck and trailer. She has an alpaca farm
(drool).
http://www.merelyasuggestion.blogspot.com/

BTW, I believe there are quite a few knitting camps around the country, some
pricey, some not so bad. This one isn't too bad, but I save for a year to
be able to go, as well as using my Air Miles to lessen the burden of the air
fare. We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn which provides breakfast and
quite often an evening snack. The rooms have a kitchen and living area, so
if need be, you can prepare your own meals. Our lunches were catered as
part of the camp fee. Most of us went out for dinner together in the
evening. A lot of the women live closer than I do, and many of them drive
(however, with the price of gas these days, I'm not sure it's all that much
less expensive).

Shelagh
(Another knitting fool)

Old July 21st 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Spike Driver" wrote in message
What a great report Shelagh, thanks a ton!!!
Dennis

Glad you enjoyed it. I had a great time.

I hope things are going well for you, and I'm thinking of you and Gail
often.

Shelagh

Att'n Dennis 2007 Knitting Calendar Katherine Yarn 6 February 9th 07 11:19 PM
Long arm report Karen Garza Quilting 8 August 8th 06 09:35 PM
Knitting Camp Report Shillelagh Yarn 19 June 25th 05 02:53 PM
Knitting Camp report Shillelagh Yarn 33 July 16th 04 03:31 PM
Back from camp :) (long) Sandy Foster Quilting 11 July 20th 03 10:37 PM