OT Top posting anecdote

Old January 24th 04, 05:18 PM
AliceW

Default OT Top posting anecdote

I am guilty, guilty, guilty of top posting. I guess I think of it as a time
saver when replying to a message. I don't want to have to scroll down
through (often times) very long messages which I have already read to see a
response. Anyway, I was on another group and saw this as a siggy line and
just wanted to share it with everyone. This came to mind when reading
someone else's post in another message about sending a one line reply but
including the original lengthy post. I promise to be mindful of this and
use the gently snipped option when replying.
Here's the siggy line - kinda puts a new perspective on top posting, for me
anyway. YMMV!

A: Why is top posting frowned upon?

*******disclaimer: I am not advocating one format over another. Everyone
is free to do as they please IMHO! My flameproof suit is in the cleaners so
please don't flame me for the content of this message. I thought it was a
cute siggy line and wanted to share. I like siggy lines too - short ones,
but long ones are ok if that's your thing too! No arguments from me today!
No time - read my siggy and see why!
--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old January 25th 04, 02:30 AM
hfw

I *love the sig line (and yours, too), and I'm going to keep top-posting. I
hate having to scroll down to find the response. At the same time, I like
having the original available if it's needed.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

"AliceW" wrote in message
I am guilty, guilty, guilty of top posting. I guess I think of it as a

time
saver when replying to a message. I don't want to have to scroll down
through (often times) very long messages which I have already read to see

response. Anyway, I was on another group and saw this as a siggy line and
just wanted to share it with everyone. This came to mind when reading
someone else's post in another message about sending a one line reply but
including the original lengthy post. I promise to be mindful of this and
use the gently snipped option when replying.
Here's the siggy line - kinda puts a new perspective on top posting, for

me
anyway. YMMV!

A: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old January 25th 04, 02:55 PM
DDM

For those of us that download the messages to read later, top posting is
the way to go! When the folks here (especially the ones that aren't on
dial-up g) are really cracking with the one liners flying at the speed of
sound it's a royal pain to have to scroll to the bottom of the ever growing
message to read the next addition. If you get stuck having to read it on
Google the bottom posted messages frequently are only partially there with a
link that says "if you want to see the rest of this message click here". I
don't mind people not snipping either because I know I'm not the only one
that doesn't get all the posts all the time and it's handy to have it all
there. What does drive me crazy (crazier?) are the replies to a post that
include NOTHING from the original. There is another sig line on another ng
I've seen that says " top posters cheerfully ignored". I go by the "when
in Rome, do as the Romans do" method so I'm really happy that most of the
"Romans" here on RCTQ are top posters.

Dee in LeRoy, NY

"AliceW" wrote in message
[...]

A: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old January 26th 04, 05:46 PM
Lizzy Taylor

AliceW wrote:
I am guilty, guilty, guilty of top posting.

snip
I promise to be mindful of this and
use the gently snipped option when replying.
Here's the siggy line - kinda puts a new perspective on top posting, for me
anyway. YMMV!

A: Why is top posting frowned upon?

As we are all big enough to use scissors and rotary cutters to cut our
fabric pieces accurately, surely we should be ablse to "snip" our NG
postings too ;-)

My pet hate is when all the "so&so wrote" stuff is left in with too much
spare info & blank, also when the topic has wandered but *all* the
has bothered to trim off those frayed edges that develop over time.

Lizzy

--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E

Old January 27th 04, 05:53 AM
Dragonfly

Looks like a Jeopardy Answer-and-Question, to me.

I like Jeopardy!

;-)

Dragonfly

"AliceW" wrote in message
I am guilty, guilty, guilty of top posting. I guess I think of it as a

time
saver when replying to a message. I don't want to have to scroll down
through (often times) very long messages which I have already read to see

response. Anyway, I was on another group and saw this as a siggy line and
just wanted to share it with everyone. This came to mind when reading
someone else's post in another message about sending a one line reply but
including the original lengthy post. I promise to be mindful of this and
use the gently snipped option when replying.
Here's the siggy line - kinda puts a new perspective on top posting, for

me
anyway. YMMV!

A: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old January 27th 04, 02:13 PM
Lynne Van

I don't read notes that are bottom posted. I only top post.
Does that mean I am a bad person? (g)

Lynne in Toronto

Lizzy Taylor wrote:

AliceW wrote:
I am guilty, guilty, guilty of top posting.

snip
I promise to be mindful of this and
use the gently snipped option when replying.
Here's the siggy line - kinda puts a new perspective on top posting, for me
anyway. YMMV!

A: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old January 27th 04, 03:41 PM
Lizzy Taylor

Lynne Van wrote:

I don't read notes that are bottom posted. I only top post.
Does that mean I am a bad person? (g)

Yes, most certainly, very, very BAD!

As a penance you have to send me chocolate (I'm in the directory :-) )

Lizzy

Old January 27th 04, 05:47 PM
Diana Curtis

but, she wont read your note since its bottom posted! Send your chocolate to
me Lynne and I will make sure Lizzy gets it.
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old January 27th 04, 05:57 PM
Butterfly

Top post-and PLEASE leave the one before at the bottom for those of us that
do NOT get all the posts.....300/400 in MY dreams......

Lynne Van wrote:

I don't read notes that are bottom posted. I only top post.
Does that mean I am a bad person? (g)

Yes, most certainly, very, very BAD!

As a penance you have to send me chocolate (I'm in the directory :-) )

Lizzy

--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E
http://www.thetaylorfamily.org.uk

Butterfly (Hhhhhmmmmmmmmm, maybe I'm lucky--I only exercise for as LONG as
it takes me to 'get caught up 3/4 times a day'....more posts--longer
stretching sessions.............))

Old January 27th 04, 06:15 PM
Lynne Van

Sorry Lizzy. Couldn't read our note, as it was bottom posted!

Cheers,

lynne in Toronto