To Grid or Not to Grid

Old April 18th 04, 01:07 AM
Bungadora

Suzanne snetstitch

Do you always grid
your projects?

I don't always grid, but I have found it helpful in a couple of situations.
Sometimes I just grid in the centre lines. I think it would be helpful to grid
reference lines in large projects like tablecloths to ensure elements are in
alignment as they are intended to be. I also think it would be helpful when one
is embroidering a repeating pattern in a circle such as a wreath design on a
tablecloth. I would also use gridding in a complex design, or one in which the
design is charted over several pages. In that case, I outline the edge of the
page in a different color than the chart lines.

Usually I don't grid if it is a small, simple project. The time required in
such cases is not worth it. However, on large projects, an evening spent
gridding can save many evenings frogging and restitching IMHO.

Dora
Old April 18th 04, 03:41 AM
Darla

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:23:44 -0500, Beth Katz
quoted another poster, then wrote:

It says something about 1/6 & 2/6 threads?

I don't know what that means.

At a guess, I'd say one of 6 and 2 of 6. That is, I'm guessing, 1 of
6 strands for some parts (probably backstitching) and 2 of 6 strands
for others (probably the Xs themselves).
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old April 18th 04, 03:43 AM
Darla

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:16:34 -0500, Joan Erickson
wrote:

mickey wrote:

One is on black Aida, and I
have a devil of a time seeing the holes in the fabric, the grid lines
have been more than worth the time it took to put them in!

Have you tried putting a white cloth in your lap while stitching on the
black? Makes the holes soooooo much easier to see in the aida! That
being said, I can't use that trick with black linen (although others
have said it works for them). For me it shows up too many holes! I
just have to stick with good lighting, magnifying glasses and watch the
shading of the threads.
HTH

The easiest time I've ever had stitching on black (Lugana 25 for me)
was while stitching at work. Light-colored floor and a massive bank
of fluorescent lights. It's a damned shame there's an egregious
counting error in it and I haven't had the heart to frog all that
work.
Old April 18th 04, 04:15 AM
Bungadora

Ok, this is another term I've seen people use a lot but not explain.
Just what is frogging?

Ripping out stitches as in rip-it, rip-it ...