Question about jeweler's tools

Old August 23rd 04, 04:10 PM
Joe Sixpack

It's more likely a pivot polishing tool, for making the little pins on
either end of a pinion both polished and inline. A poising tool usually
has flat jaws for the pivots to rest on, like this:
http://www.ofrei.com/page_218.html
whereas a Jacot-pivot tool, not quite what you seem to have, but similar
http://www.ofrei.com/page432.html
Aaron
if one were to try and simultaneously mount a second stone. No, I'm pretty
sure
this is related to a watchmakers poising tool, in which a balance wheel is
suspended between two points on it's axis, to check it for balance or true
rotation. Now, the second set of needles mean it's likely actually something
slightly different, but i'd still bet there is some such function more
related to
watch, clock, or instrument making than to lapidary. But who knows. Like
most
of us, I'm just guessing too.

Peter

Old August 24th 04, 04:44 AM
R.H.

The width of the base of this thing is 2 3/16", not including the
small points sticking out; at the top from tip to tip it's 3 3/8", so
it is rather small.

Thanks to everyone for their answers.

Rob

"Peter W.. Rowe," wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:01:03 -0700, in ¸ ô Jack Schmidling wrote:

Looks like a dop transfer fixture to me. It even has dops in it, why so
many of them is not clear.

Yes, there's a resemblance, Jack. But if you take a closer look, I think you'll
find differences that make that suggestion unlikely. For one, look at the scale
of the tool Judging by the look of the photo and details therein, I'd say that
thing is only about 3-4 inches wide. That would make those "dops" very thin
needles, perhaps 1/16" thickness, which no faceting machine I've ever heard of
uses (almost all use 1/4 inch or larger). More, they're sharpened to at least
blunt points. not so good for mounting a stone on. and the second set of
needles (one is missing, I think, would interfere with mounting the first stone

Old August 24th 04, 04:44 AM
R.H.

I did see some writing on it that I didn't notice before, it says
"E&M" across the middle.

Rob

. ..

Old August 24th 04, 04:30 PM
Rob Kramer

Hi all,

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:
if one were to try and simultaneously mount a second stone. No, I'm
pretty sure this is related to a watchmakers poising tool, in which a
balance wheel is suspended between two points on it's axis, to check it
for balance or true
rotation. Now, the second set of needles mean it's likely actually
something slightly different, but i'd still bet there is some such
function more related to
watch, clock, or instrument making than to lapidary. But who knows. Like
most of us, I'm just guessing too.

It's a depthing tool, used to check gear meshing and to lay out gear trains
in watches (or clocks, don't know how big this thing is). The four ends
that are in the center of the tool have centers and are used to mount 2
wheels. The tool is then adjusted for correct meshing and then the four
pins on the outside are used to scribe an arc to determine placement of a
new wheel.

A google for 'depthing tool' gives a lot of results with additional info..

Cheers,

Rob
Old August 25th 04, 03:47 AM
R.H.

It's a depthing tool, used to check gear meshing and to lay out gear trains
in watches (or clocks, don't know how big this thing is). The four ends
that are in the center of the tool have centers and are used to mount 2
wheels. The tool is then adjusted for correct meshing and then the four
pins on the outside are used to scribe an arc to determine placement of a
new wheel.

A google for 'depthing tool' gives a lot of results with additional info..

Thanks, I found a site that has some just like mine, so that
definitely answers the question.

I do have two more objects that I need help identifying, but they
aren't jewelry related, one is some type of gauge with "Lights per
inch" measurement on one side, and the other is some type of chrome
holder with a clamp, numbers 98 and 99 on this site:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob H.
Old August 28th 04, 03:35 AM
Abrasha

Jack Schmidling wrote:

"Carl West" I'm pretty sure #3 is a watch or clock makers tool.

Looks like a dop transfer fixture to me.

:-) Jack, Jack, Jack, there you go again.

No it is not. It is a watchmaker's tool.

It is a clock wheel depthing tool. It is incomplete as several parts are
missing. There is at least one steel pin missing on the right end of the tool.
The proper meshing of a gear wheel and a pinion could be determined by this
tool. The spacing of the runners can be adjusted so that the wheel and pinion
when rotated felt smooth and proper to the craftsman. He could then transfer
that spacing to a clock plate using the points of the runners for a marking
compass centered on an existing pivot hole. The new pivot hole could then be
drilled on that mark.

The following links show the exact same tool that you have by the same
manufacturer:
http://watchmaking.csparks.com/SmallTools.html and
http://watchmaking.csparks.com/SmallTools.html

Also check: http://www.cwrnh.com/techpages/horotools.htm

It even has dops in it, why so
many of them is not clear.

:-)

It is used to transfer a stone whose pavilion has been faceted to another
dop so that the crown can be faceted.

If you go to my EasyGem page you can see a greatly simplified version
without all the clutter.

:-)

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com