open source soapmaking wiki invitation

Old December 8th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.marketplace
naohmonk

Default open source soapmaking wiki invitation

Dear Members of rec.crafts.marketplace,

I'd like to extend an invitation to visit Saponaceo.us, the recently
launched 'open source soapmaking wiki'. The aim of this wiki is to be
the most complete, comprehensive soapmaking resource on the internet:
"A compendium of soapmaking knowledge". It is called the "open source
soapmaking wiki" because the information in it is licensed under the
Creative Commons License, making it owned by no one (or everyone
depending on how you look at it). It contains free, community-driven,
non-commercial information in the familiar Wikipedia format (the
software that runs Wikipedia also runs saponaceo.us). So if you are a
regular contributer to Wikipedia, you will be very comfortable with the
identical format of this site.

-- The definition of 'Saponaceous' is "resembling or having the
qualities of soap; "a soapy consistency". http://saponaceo.us/

Saponaceo.us also contains a directory of soapmaker and commercial
soapmaking business links, acting as a kind of one-stop soapmaking
contact addressbook.

I have started this wiki for several reasons. A wiki is very
appropriate for building a cohesive community. It addresses the
problem of soapmaker activity being dispersed over several similar
groups. I noticed on Yahoo! Groups alone, there are over 30
soapmaking-related groups. More if you include candlemaking, scenting
and crafts/business. Attempting to subscribe to all of these groups is
a management nightmare (I've tried). Plus, if one requires this level
of connectivity to a community, then having listservs, mailing lists
and room-view groups are probably the least efficient of formats for
this purpose.

Secondly, trying to learn soapmaking from the internet is hard for a
beginner. There is a wealth of information out there, because of folks
like you. Kudos to all of you, you make me and other soapmakers proud.
As one who learned the art of soapmakign from you, I appreciate your
nurturing.

I remember what it was like to be a beginner. As a beginner, it was
overwhelming. I found myself acting as more of an investigator, than a
soapmaking disciple or student. Hunting and collecting information.
Sometimes reassembling it incorrectly and unknowingly until bad things
happened (blender-soap ends up like chalk, oily-lye, beginner errors).
Bottom line is: Beginners do not know where to start, how to start, or
where to begin digging through the sites. They are forced ultimately
to buy a book or several. Sound familiar?

Now imagine this community of soapmakers, you, me, our friends and
families acting as mentors for people new to soapmaking. Inexperienced
soapmakers would then rely on the so-called "wisdom of crowds" to give
them the right answers all the time, nurturing them from journeyman to
master. I'd say that would be something worth investing my time in.
What do you think? Is it worth a look? Please help me get behind this
project. I think it will be a good contribution to the world- and we
can make it happen.

I want to reiterate that this wiki supports a commercial/business index
and business pages, as well as personal soapmaker pages. These is a
contact phonebook and all are encouraged to use this space. For
example, I have added the Lye Calculator provided by Majestic Mountain
Sage because I use it and think it is great. Be the first to get your
name out there- tell your friends and by all means, if you support this
project, please blog about it or link to from your blog or webpage.

Thanks for your kind consideration.

Sincerely,

Michael Chris Neglia
---