Yard Sale Treasure - Whoopee

Old May 10th 04, 11:43 PM
roxan

Default Yard Sale Treasure - Whoopee

What a great find.
Roxan
"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
My mother is a yard sale maniac, and I steadfastly refuse to go with her.
She once bargained a person down on a five cent item, "It's not worth a
nickel, I'll give you three cents," and I quietly change the subject when

she
talks about going "yard saling" on a particular Saturday.

Yesterday, was Mother's Day here in the US. We got to my Mom's at 11:30
a.m., to take her to brunch and give her gifts. Because I have

bead-sniffing
radar, I immediately spotted an absolutely filthy strand of Swarovski

beads
on her countertop.

"Mom, where did you get those?" I immediately asked.

She waved her hand blithely and responded, "Oh, I found those yesterday at

yard sale. You said to buy any decent looking beads I found if the price

was
right, so I decided to splurge a quarter and got them for you. Can you

use
them?"

Yeah, I can use them - a double strand of round graduated light sapphire

AB
Swarovskis, ranging from 6 mm to 14 mm, with clear faceted spacers

inbetween.
I took them over to Mom's kitchen sink and gave them a quick swish with

dish
soap. The facets and the glimmer told me that these beads can't be

anything
else - definitely "faceted Austrian crystals."

They're in remarkably good shape for a yard sale find - the only damage I
could find (and they were very carefully examined, believe me) was a

slight
scratch on the AB coating of the largest stones. Not too shabby for a
quarter. To be doubly sure, I went online last night to find the article
numbers for the beads, and these match some now discontinued cuts and

colors.

I told Mom that she can buy me such yard sale items any day. :-) I feel
like I got a Shirley find - for those who are new, our own Shirley Shone

goes
to jumble sales all the time and gets these amazing finds for almost

nothing.

Kathy N-V

Old May 10th 04, 11:59 PM
Candace

SCORE!
I told Mom that she can buy me such yard sale items any day. :-) I feel
like I got a Shirley find - for those who are new, our own Shirley Shone goes

to jumble sales all the time and gets these amazing finds for almost nothing.

Kathy N-V

~Candace~ your local hemp goddess

Old May 11th 04, 12:42 AM
Debbie B

Wow.

She sounds just like my sister in law. LOL
But I still go with her.

She got a silver cuff bracelet with turquoise and paid $2 for it. She took
it to her Uncle who specializes in silver and turquoise to "appraise" it.
He offered her $100 for it. She said if he is offering that then it's worth
more. He admitted it.

I love some of the stuff she gets. grinning

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short

---

Old May 11th 04, 04:56 AM
Valerie2

My Aunt found a necklace at a yard sale made with some gorgeous beads
(can't remember what kind it is), but everybody I've showed it to at the
bead are some kind of Austrian type or something. They're not crystal,
but they are very pretty. If I can ever find little tiny bead caps I
plan on restringing it using seed beads between the beads instead of knots.

Valerie

Old May 11th 04, 06:53 AM
AmazeR

On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:16:05 -0400, Kathy N-V wrote:

My mother is a yard sale maniac, and I steadfastly refuse to go with her.
She once bargained a person down on a five cent item, "It's not worth a
nickel, I'll give you three cents," and I quietly change the subject when she
talks about going "yard saling" on a particular Saturday.

Oh, do I know what you mean! My sister goes 'garage-sale-ing' here as it
is called and I avoid it like the plague!! But what a find!! Well done
to Mum...

Yesterday, was Mother's Day here in the US. We got to my Mom's at 11:30
a.m., to take her to brunch and give her gifts. Because I have
bead-sniffing radar, I immediately spotted an absolutely filthy strand
of Swarovski beads on her countertop.

"Mom, where did you get those?" I immediately asked.

She waved her hand blithely and responded, "Oh, I found those yesterday
at a yard sale. You said to buy any decent looking beads I found if the

Old May 11th 04, 07:03 AM
Shirley Shone

What a find! I am envious. I have missed a few antique fairs this year
due to being under the weather. Just waiting for dull grey UK to
brighten up so I can start the rounds of the outdoor car boot sales.
Come to think of it I could do with getting out and about again.

Enjoy your crystals and well done to your mum for finding them.
Shirley

In message , Kathy
N-V writes
My mother is a yard sale maniac, and I steadfastly refuse to go with her.
She once bargained a person down on a five cent item, "It's not worth a
nickel, I'll give you three cents," and I quietly change the subject when she
talks about going "yard saling" on a particular Saturday.

Yesterday, was Mother's Day here in the US. We got to my Mom's at 11:30
a.m., to take her to brunch and give her gifts. Because I have bead-sniffing
radar, I immediately spotted an absolutely filthy strand of Swarovski beads
on her countertop.

"Mom, where did you get those?" I immediately asked.

She waved her hand blithely and responded, "Oh, I found those yesterday at a

Old May 11th 04, 08:30 AM
Marisa Cappetta

You lucked out, girlfriend!

--
Marisa (AU/NZ)
http://www.galleryvittoria.com

Old May 12th 04, 01:06 AM
KDK

Wow. I don't usually go to yard sales either - but I want to find some
patterned plates (to break into pieces and use with PMC). And I think yard
sales will be a good place to look. If only I could be lucky enough to find
cool beads too!

Kathy K

Old May 12th 04, 02:34 AM
Dr. Sooz

I don't usually go to yard sales either - but I want to find some
patterned plates (to break into pieces and use with PMC). And I think yard
sales will be a good place to look.

There's a whole section of that -- already broken into wonderfully usable small
regular pieces -- on eBay, dolling.
http://snipurl.com/6biq

And remember -- it's considered unethical to break up an undamaged piece of
china.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old May 12th 04, 02:37 AM
patch

In yard sales or thrift shops, there is always a good quantity of chipped
pieces. I keep a few just in case one day I get the stained glass equipment
to wrap them and use in jewelry.

Denise

"Dr. Sooz" a écrit dans le message de
I don't usually go to yard sales either - but I want to find some
patterned plates (to break into pieces and use with PMC). And I think

yard
sales will be a good place to look.

There's a whole section of that -- already broken into wonderfully usable

small
regular pieces -- on eBay, dolling.
http://snipurl.com/6biq

And remember -- it's considered unethical to break up an undamaged piece

of
china.
~~
Sooz
-------
"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

AD ~ New stuff and a SALE at Halsey Trading! Mj Beads 8 March 19th 04 05:34 AM
AD ~ One Day Only Leap Year sale!! Mj Beads 4 February 27th 04 07:46 AM
AD: Bali Bead Sale **New Year Sale at Bali Bead Shop** Bali Bead Shop Beads 0 January 5th 04 12:59 PM
Big Sale Linx Beads 1 September 22nd 03 07:04 AM
Polymer Clay Sale!! MargieK Beads 1 September 14th 03 04:56 PM