OT Dutch speculaas etc.

Old December 9th 03, 03:23 AM
Els van Dam

Default OT Dutch speculaas etc.

Here are the recipies I have promised you

Dutch Speculaas

Shift together in a bowl:

3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon bking soda
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ginger
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Cream together in another bowl:
1 cup of butter
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 cup of white sugar (in Holland we would have used witte ******* suiker)
it is the same as brown suiker but it has been bleached white, it is not
granulated sugar, we do not know that type of suiker on this side of the
ocean)

Beat into this creamed mixture 2 eggs until light and fluffy, blend in the
dry incredients trun into a 9x13 inch cake pan. brush lightly with a
beaten eggwhite and decorate with slice or whole almonds.

Bake in a 350° oven for 30 mint. until golden brown (hard to see since the
colour of the dough is dark....LOL)

A variation on this theme is. You double the recipe and divide the dough
in half.

make a the following recipe of amond paste or marzipan.

2 cups of finley ground almonds
1 1/2 cups sifted icing sugar
1 egg slightly beaten
1 table spoon of fresh lemon juice (no pulp)
1/4 teaspoon of almond extract.

Mix all together and chill in your fridge for an hour or more.

roll out the first half of your dough and put into your prepared 9x13 inch
baking pan

Roll out your marzipan between two sheets of waxed paper to the same size
as your baking pan and flip it ontop of your first layer of dough. Roll
out your second layer and put it on top. Decorate with half almonds
neatly in rows so you can cut it into squares.

Bake in a 350 ° F oven for 40 minutes. Let it rest so the filling will
cool again. slice and enjoy.

Eet smakenlijk

bon appetite

enjoy

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old December 9th 03, 04:08 AM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:23:43 -0800, (Els van Dam) wrote:

Here are the recipies I have promised you

Thank you. Those are keepers, for sure!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old December 9th 03, 11:23 AM
Sarah Grace

thank you so much, Els!

A quick question from cupless England: are all cups consistently the same size
or is the a difference between Canada and the US? I know we have a set brought
from the US so i am hoping that they would be ok.

For the witte ******* suiker i wonder if i could use caster sugar hmmmm.

Thanks again
Regards
Sarah
Old December 9th 03, 01:25 PM
Aud

THANK YOU; ELS!!!
Aud ;-))

--

"Els van Dam" skrev i melding

Old December 9th 03, 04:20 PM
Shillelagh

"Sarah Grace" wrote in message
thank you so much, Els!

A quick question from cupless England: are all cups consistently the same

size
or is the a difference between Canada and the US? I know we have a set

brought
from the US so i am hoping that they would be ok.

A cup is 8 ounces of liquid in both countries.

The difference between the U.S. and Canada is in the quart and gallon. In
Canada, a quart is 40 ounces, the U.S. it's 32 ounces. A Canadian gallon
is 160 ounces, the U.S. is 128 ounces.
HTH

Shelagh

Old December 9th 03, 06:09 PM
Sarah Grace

Shelagh wrote:
A cup is 8 ounces of liquid in both countries.

The difference between the U.S. and Canada is in the quart and gallon. In
Canada, a quart is 40 ounces, the U.S. it's 32 ounces. A Canadian gallon
is 160 ounces, the U.S. is 128 ounces.
HTH

Aha! I thought there was a difference somewhere but i am pleased to discover
it is not the cups- thank you so much for letting me know, Shelagh.

regards
Sarah
Old December 9th 03, 10:01 PM
Martin

Greetings everyone. I've had speculaas and they're well worth a try. Well
done Els, and thanks for reminding me.

When we lived in Holland, we knew basterdsuiker as caster sugar, but I've
noticed that one of my dictionaries describes basterdsuiker as moist brown
sugar. The spelling of '*******' that I use is different from Els's and it
is not the usual Dutch spelling of the word '*******', except when it
applies to 'basterdsuiker' (as opposed to what you might say when you
accidentally knock the sugar bag over). However, it means the same. The
Dutch spelling for the 'b' word is actually 'bastaard', as in
bastaardnachtgaal - which is a hedge sparrow. The word 'nachtgaal' means
'nightingale'. Those Dutch hedge sparrows must have really upset someone for
such a name to stick!

Both cinnamon and nutmeg are very mildly hallucinogenic by the way. Oops...
got to go now.

Cheers, Martin

Old December 9th 03, 10:44 PM
spampot

Shillelagh wrote:
"Sarah Grace" wrote in message

thank you so much, Els!

A quick question from cupless England: are all cups consistently the same

size

or is the a difference between Canada and the US? I know we have a set

brought

from the US so i am hoping that they would be ok.

A cup is 8 ounces of liquid in both countries.

The difference between the U.S. and Canada is in the quart and gallon. In
Canada, a quart is 40 ounces, the U.S. it's 32 ounces. A Canadian gallon
is 160 ounces, the U.S. is 128 ounces.
HTH

Shelagh

I hate to complicate things, but British ounces are ever so slightly
different from U.S. ones, as well. HOWEVER, since this item is a dry
ingredient measure, the difference is probably not enough to matter
much, since I bet most of us adjust our flour additions slightly
according to the feel of the dough (depending on local humidity etc.).

Thanks a million, Els, I can't wait to make these!

Old December 9th 03, 10:49 PM
spampot

Sarah Grace wrote:
thank you so much, Els!

A quick question from cupless England: are all cups consistently the same size
or is the a difference between Canada and the US? I know we have a set brought
from the US so i am hoping that they would be ok.

For the witte ******* suiker i wonder if i could use caster sugar hmmmm.

Thanks again
Regards
Sarah

Hm, that's interesting...about the sugar, I mean. Els, do you mean the
consistency of the witte ******* suiker is like that of the brown sugar
we have here, i.e. lumpy, and you have to pack it to measure it? I
think, Sarah, that caster sugar might be too fine for this recipe, if I
understand Els's description. I think I would use plain white sugar,
myself.

Old December 10th 03, 04:08 AM
Els van Dam

In article , spampot wrote:

Sarah Grace wrote:
thank you so much, Els!

A quick question from cupless England: are all cups consistently the

same size
or is the a difference between Canada and the US? I know we have a

set brought
from the US so i am hoping that they would be ok.

For the witte ******* suiker i wonder if i could use caster sugar hmmmm.

Thanks again
Regards
Sarah

Hm, that's interesting...about the sugar, I mean. Els, do you mean the
consistency of the witte ******* suiker is like that of the brown sugar
we have here, i.e. lumpy, and you have to pack it to measure it? I
think, Sarah, that caster sugar might be too fine for this recipe, if I
understand Els's description. I think I would use plain white sugar,
myself.

Yes that it what they did in the Laura Secord recipe book....changed the
witte basterd suiker to regulare sugar. Thanks Martin for the dialoge on
the sugar.....Naturally, I mispelled it in Dutch, lucky me that you could
help me out. Spelling in any language is not me tour the forte.....

Yes just use plain white sugar.

Also when you bake the speculaas with the filling....do let it totally
cool before you slice it. The almond paste gets very soft and sometimes
runny when it is warm. I put mine in the fridge.

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....