a certain TROLL who thinks she's the queen of Sheba

Old November 25th 03, 02:57 PM
Karen MN

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:14:36 -0600, Karen MN wrote:

I hadn't heard that rumor about Levi. Our ISP threw a customer
appreciation event one night, including a special movie showing and they
gave everyone hemp shirts with the company logo on them. Mine became a
sleep shirt, because it's an XXL, but it is very warm and comfortable.

have a good sized batch of hemp/cotton yarn in my stash also, was going

make a sweater and just haven't gotten to it yet. I think it is

becoming
fairly popular, there is a store around here that sells all hemp

products --
jeans, shirts, purses, things like that. Everything I've seen made out

of
it is marked "THC free", probably just so someone won't try and smoke

their
sweater

Karen in MN

I never heard that rumor either.
Hemp rope has been available at hardware stores, lumber yards and home
centers again now for quite some time... THC free.
I've seen loads of hemp stuff at Hobby Lobby, also marked THC free.
OMG, Karen, just had one of those flashback to remember whens.....
Remember when: kids would try to smoke dried cornsilk?????
LOL!
Hugs,
Noreen

Oh wow -- I hadn't thought about that in YEARS -- but I DO remember that
now! LOL!!!!

Old November 25th 03, 03:38 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 05:34:36 GMT, "Agres" wrote:

Talk to an old sailor. Hemp rope is known as manilla.
It rots when damp. It shirnks when wet (all the rigging on a sailing vessel
rigged with manilla must be slacked when ever it gets wet, and then
tightened again as it drys.) When flexed or bent sharply, it loses
strength, i.e., a square knot has 60% of the strength of the unknotted
line.

There I beg to disagree. Manila hemp is an inferior fiber, from a different
plant, no doubt with all the draw-backs you mention, and more. It comes
from the abaca plant, muso textilis, not the cannabis sativa plant we're
discussing. Here's an interesting site that mentions the wet shrinkage
problems with manila cordage:

http://www.univie.ac.at/Voelkerkunde...ra/nov1319.htm

Those wooden ships had iron men because the manilla rope required so much
work to keep it in good condition.

No quarrel with that! I know I'd never last a day on ship-board, but I
think I'd rather much have real hemp ropes than manila hemp and I know I'd
much rather wear real hemp clothing.

Think about wearing a pair of tight pants made of hemp when it starts to
rain.

Mmm, yes, lovely. No problem there. It's not unlike wearing age-softened
linen. It does not shrink when wet. Trust me on this. I knit wash cloths
from it. Now I would not want to be wearing it to keep warm in a cold rain,
you understand. For that I prefer wool, but a summer rain? No problem.

Hemp cannot be knit.

Trust me, it can! My wash cloths are ample proof and they have held up to
constant use and washing far better than the ones I made of cotton.

Oh Well, you know I am a yarn snob.

Ah, well, we all have our preferences, but I respectfully suggest you get
your hands on some real hemp and feel the difference.

I was sold the first time I saw someone spinning hemp. That was way back
when the Smithsonian Folk Festival featured Korea. The lady was spinning a
fine, beautiful thread and weaving a translucent, summery fabric, like
handkerchief linen, for traditional clothing. I was entranced with the
stuff, and thrilled when I finally found a mail-order source. What I spun
and plied myself would never make a hanky, it's too thick, but I have
seriously considered knitting it into summer socks or a camisole. It's that
soft and comfortable; next-to-the-skin comfortable.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old November 25th 03, 03:47 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:18:36 -0600, Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

Slapping forehead! THAT's gotta be where YARN comes from, cornsilk, right?

No, but the new synthetic called Ingeo does come from corn!

Old November 25th 03, 03:52 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:47:41 GMT, Helen "Halla" Fleischer wrote:

| On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:18:36 -0600, Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

Slapping forehead! THAT's gotta be where YARN comes from, cornsilk, right?

No, but the new synthetic called Ingeo does come from corn!

Helen, tell me more! What started out as a pun has become extemely
interesting.
Noreen

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old November 25th 03, 06:13 PM
NoraBalcer

EJ,

Love that one.

Nora
Old November 25th 03, 07:05 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:52:51 -0600, Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:47:41 GMT, Helen "Halla" Fleischer wrote:

| On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:18:36 -0600, Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

Slapping forehead! THAT's gotta be where YARN comes from, cornsilk, right?

No, but the new synthetic called Ingeo does come from corn!

Helen, tell me more! What started out as a pun has become extemely
interesting.
Noreen

If you type "Ingeo Fiber" into a search you get some cool sites, but I
don't have the flash player you need to view Cargill's own site. I did find
this one, though: http://arttech.about.com/b/a/037011.htm

Old November 25th 03, 10:17 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:05:30 GMT, Helen "Halla" Fleischer wrote:

| On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:52:51 -0600, Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:47:41 GMT, Helen "Halla" Fleischer wrote:

| On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:18:36 -0600, Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

Slapping forehead! THAT's gotta be where YARN comes from, cornsilk, right?

No, but the new synthetic called Ingeo does come from corn!

Helen, tell me more! What started out as a pun has become extemely
interesting.
Noreen

If you type "Ingeo Fiber" into a search you get some cool sites, but I
don't have the flash player you need to view Cargill's own site. I did find
this one, though: http://arttech.about.com/b/a/037011.htm

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Thanks, Helen, I'll check it out a wee bit later!
I'll also answer your email too!
Today's been the day of days.....
more later!
Hugs,
Noreen
--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old November 25th 03, 11:51 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "news.sonic.net"
wrote:

I've seen some small bundles of hemp thread, but nothing more than that.
I've heard the fiber is wonderful and lasts forever.
Any truth to the rumor/urban legend that Levi co. got it outlawed because
hemp jeans were running them out of business?

Kelly

don't believe everything you hear I would say to that one....Levis has
much more to fear from their compeditors......other blue jeans......

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but hemp is longer known than cotton.
The fear for growing a marijuana crop for the textile industry is based on
the fear of drugs.....The two do not meet and one is not capable of
creating the other.

Marijauna grown on the Island has been raided by pot smokers. Sadly
enough they did not get one puff of dreamland out of that crop. Costly
and extremely frustrating for the farmer and maybe as well
......frustrating...for the dope user.....LOL

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old November 25th 03, 11:59 PM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Els van Dam wrote:
"news.sonic.net" wrote:

I've seen some small bundles of hemp thread, but nothing more than that.
I've heard the fiber is wonderful and lasts forever.

That's what I've heard too.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but hemp is longer known than cotton.

Yes, in Europe at least. Cotton was from farther south and east.
I've heard that some of the peasant clothing in the middle ages was made
of hemp rather than linen.

=Tamar
Old November 26th 03, 12:52 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Agres"
wrote:

Talk to an old sailor. Hemp rope is known as manilla.
It rots when damp. It shirnks when wet (all the rigging on a sailing vessel
rigged with manilla must be slacked when ever it gets wet, and then
tightened again as it drys.) When flexed or bent sharply, it loses
strength, i.e., a square knot has 60% of the strength of the unknotted
line.

Those wooden ships had iron men because the manilla rope required so much
work to keep it in good condition.

Think about wearing a pair of tight pants made of hemp when it starts to
rain.

Hemp cannot be knit.

Oh Well, you know I am a yarn snob.

Aaron

Hello Aaron

Here comes a lesson in fiber knowledge.....

Manila Hemp is a misnomer But maybe when we look at where manila rope
comes from we can see why. I will quote straight from my Encyclopedia of
handspinning.

"Manila is made from Abaca......(sometimes referred to as Manila Hemp,
Abaca is not hemp, but one of the leaf fibers. This fiber comes from Musa
textilis, which is related to Musa sapientum, the banana. While some fine
cloth is woven from the unspun Abaca fibres, its principal uses are for
paper and cordage"

When I look in my fat Webster dictionary I find the following:
"Manila, 1. Manila hemp, 2 manila paper, 3 Manila rope, 4 A kind of cigar
made in Manila, the capital of the Philippine Islands. Sometimes spelled
Manilla.

Manil hemp; a strong fiber from the leaf stalk of a Phillippine tree
related to the banana; abaca: it is used for making rope, paper etc.

Manila rope; strong rope made of Manila hemp"

However: when we look at hemp we come to a totally different plant. Also
an Asiatic plant but this time we are looking at the genus Canabus of
which cannabis sativa will give the hemp fibers It is an annual herbaceous
plant, the fiber is 1 to 2 meters in lenght. its structure and processing
is very similar to that of flax and hihigh quality fiber can be spin to
fine threads of a creamy colour similar to linen. In old textiles is is
not always easy to distinguish flax from hemp by inspection. Manila will
indeed rot very easily, not so hemp.

I suspect that the hemp was added to the word: "Manila" in popular
speech, but it is a misnomer. Hemp is hemp and Manila is manila...two
different plants to differernt fibers.

There fore.....off course hemp can be knitted and I am wearing a hemp
T-shirt right now. Made in China.. No it does not shrink and after
several washings, just like linen is becomes lovely soft, it keeps you
cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....

Collage Embroidery lula Needlework 89 July 12th 04 05:43 PM
To: a certain TROLL who thinks she's the queen of Sheba Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 49 November 27th 03 06:10 AM
OT List of Queens and other NG Positions Dreamweaver Quilting 51 November 10th 03 07:40 PM
OT Queens Karlee in Kansas Quilting 34 November 5th 03 08:17 PM
For Red Queen Butterfly Quilting 6 October 1st 03 06:46 PM