Converting sleeves from set-in to raglan?

Old November 15th 03, 12:30 AM

Default Converting sleeves from set-in to raglan?

Hi all
Because I have broad shoulders, raglan sleeves suit me best, and because
I have a reasonably sized bust, V-necks and wrap-over styles suit me
best, and because I am short-waisted, longer fitted styles suit me best,
and because of my overall shape, fine knits suit me better than chunky.

So taking this one at a time:
is there some simple way of changing a pattern from set-in sleeves (say)
to raglan? I have searched the net to no avail.
--
Jill Treasure
Old November 15th 03, 12:39 AM
Katherine Burgess

wrote ...

So taking this one at a time:
is there some simple way of changing a pattern from set-in sleeves (say)
to raglan? I have searched the net to no avail.

Jill,
I am sure it can be done, but I would think that it would be a lot of
trouble. Would it not be easier just to find raglan sleeve patterns in the
first place? I know, not much help, but I have never tried that.
I don't think I have seen you here before, so welcome to RCTY.
Katherine

Old November 15th 03, 02:46 AM
SlinkyToy

A raglan increases every other round from the neckband to the point of
the shoulder (or, decreases from the point of the shoulder to the
neckband, if you're working bottom-up). So you can use say, the
waist/body of a pattern and simply substitute raglan shaping for the
shoulders and neck.

Michelle
Who prefers to make a Plain Old Raglan from the neck down with
knitted-on sleeves done last

Old November 15th 03, 03:27 AM
SlinkyToy

Well, I didn't write that correctly.

A raglan increases every other round, at 8 points, until the shoulders
are as wide as the intended wearer's shoulders. If the intended
wearer happens to have (or want) deep underarms on the sweater then
one works plain when the desired width is achieved. This adds length
without adding width. The shoulders are put on holders, the body
joined and finished in the round, and the sleeves knitted on
afterwards.

Or at least that's how I do it.

Old November 15th 03, 12:10 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Hey Jill i just now wrote and will write more about my system how to
calculate a raglan sweater from the neck down .
if you worked your sweater from the hem up and reached the armpits ,
and now want to change the pattern to raglan you have to calculate a
bit.
Take the number of your stiches , [if you knitted more for front ,
take the bigger number] and divide into 3 . Shoulder/neck/shoulder.
now measure yourself from armpit to point where shoulder meets neck .
and measure on alresdy knitteed part how many rows this length will
take,
you have to cast of a third each side of the middke neck stiches ,
over the rows that are the length .
let`s ay you have 62 stichs , thus you have 21/20/21
you have to cast of 21 stiches each side and end up with 20 .
now lets` say you measured 25 cm from armpit to shoulder, and found
they made 50 rows . , you cast of 3 stiches for ease of movement ,
now you still have 18 stiches to be cast of over 48 rows [ the 2 rows
of casting off the 3 st,[ ps when casting off those don`t close them
put on safety pin and use later to sew neater ,,] now divide 48 ;18 =2
+ 12 undivisible,,,,, thus i will decrease 11x every third row [=33] .
and 7 x every 2nd row [=14] 33+14, no decrease last row.
If you also have sleeves i would advice not do this seprate but put
back , sleeve, front , sleeve on one needles and do the decrese both
side of 2 stiches , put ,mark in between ... and you will save the
sewing and it will look so much neater.
hope this is clear if not do ask more .
mirjam

Old November 15th 03, 09:19 PM
Jill Treasure

In article , Mirjam Bruck-Cohen
writes
[...]

Thanks for this, I *think* I've got it.

I'm thinking of getting a kit from our fairly local mohair farm, and
adapting it.

Old November 16th 03, 10:32 PM
Jill Treasure

In article , spampot
writes
wrote:
Hi all
Because I have broad shoulders, raglan sleeves suit me best, and because
I have a reasonably sized bust, V-necks and wrap-over styles suit me
best, and because I am short-waisted, longer fitted styles suit me best,
and because of my overall shape, fine knits suit me better than chunky.

So taking this one at a time:
is there some simple way of changing a pattern from set-in sleeves (say)
to raglan? I have searched the net to no avail.

http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html has a formula for making
raglan-sleeved sweaters in any pattern you want. Check it out and see
whether you can revise a set-in-sleeve pattern you're interested in,
following the directions here. Good Luck.

I did find this in my search, but it's for that weird circular way you
have for knitting on the other side of the big pond ;-)

I've just discovered yesterknits, BTW, and found a lovely sweater I
think would suit - but it's in 3-ply, and a google for uk did not
produce any suitable suppliers.

I've also had a lovely look at Amazon, and put some possible books in my
basket (though I haven't gone to the check-out yet).

Can you believe I got rid of all my knitting needles recently, thinking
I hadn't time to knit - but now I think I need the relaxation.
--
Jill Treasure
Old November 17th 03, 05:08 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Good Morning Jill Treasure Welcome aboard...so you think some knitting
is weird ??? Why ???? I have been doing it for 0ver 30 years , and
there is nothing weird about me nore my knitting ,,,
There are so many methods and ways to knit ,, each has it`s merits and
Draw backs , i want to learn why others do , what and how they do it ,
calling it names , doesn`t help, it closes your eyes from learning and
appreciating other methods , other cultures , other people.
mirjam who `weirdly` knits a vest on circulars, who knitted an
entrelac no seam raglan on circulars ,,,,etc etc etc

Old November 17th 03, 11:03 AM
Jill Treasure

In article , Mirjam Bruck-Cohen
writes
Good Morning Jill Treasure Welcome aboard...so you think some knitting
is weird ??? Why ????

It was supposed to be a joke, hence the smiley. I once considered
circular knitting, but couldn't source a long enough needle for the
project I was hoping to knit. Here in England, most patterns are for
two needle projects.

I have been doing it for 0ver 30 years , and
there is nothing weird about me nore my knitting ,,,
There are so many methods and ways to knit ,, each has it`s merits and
Draw backs , i want to learn why others do , what and how they do it ,
calling it names , doesn`t help, it closes your eyes from learning and
appreciating other methods , other cultures , other people.
mirjam who `weirdly` knits a vest on circulars, who knitted an
entrelac no seam raglan on circulars ,,,,etc etc etc

snipped my previous
My friend once knitted a great wrap, in the form of an armadillo. It
was from a pattern book called, IIRC, Weird Knitting.
--
Best!
Jill