Mattel/Barbie Knitter

Old November 14th 03, 08:02 AM
Karen

Default Mattel/Barbie Knitter

Does anyone have any info/patterns for the Mattel Knitting Machine (a.k.a.
Barbie Knit Hits)?

Old November 14th 03, 03:47 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:02:30 GMT, "Karen" wrote:

Does anyone have any info/patterns for the Mattel Knitting Machine (a.k.a.
Barbie Knit Hits)?

There are some patterns on this web site:

http://www.knitting-and.com/barbie-knitter/

I haven't tried them. I bought mine mainly as a curiosity. I've only used
it to make a stuffed snake toy, fulled wool bag straps, and the like.
Although, just lately I'm contemplating using it with scrap crochet cotton
to make lint traps for my washing machine hose. Yeah, I know I'm weird.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old November 14th 03, 06:58 PM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Helen \"Halla\" Fleischer wrote:
|"Karen" wrote:

Does anyone have any info/patterns for the Mattel Knitting Machine (a.k.a.
Barbie Knit Hits)?

There are some patterns on this web site:

http://www.knitting-and.com/barbie-knitter/

I haven't tried them. I bought mine mainly as a curiosity. I've only used
it to make a stuffed snake toy, fulled wool bag straps, and the like.
Although, just lately I'm contemplating using it with scrap crochet cotton
to make lint traps for my washing machine hose. Yeah, I know I'm weird.

It occurred to me that you could sew the tubes into a coil and make a
small coiled chair pad or rug.

Or sew/graft the ends together and make a headband.

Sewn together again, could be stripes for a nice double-thick vest;
if you stuffed the tubes (with poly fiberfill or, better, strips cut
from quilt batting), a really thick insulated vest! And spinning off
that, lots of long strips sewn together side by side could make an
afghan, which could be stuffed with quilt batting to be a comforter.

=Tamar
Old November 15th 03, 12:52 AM
Katherine Burgess

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" wrote in ...
| "Karen" wrote:

Does anyone have any info/patterns for the Mattel Knitting Machine

(a.k.a.
Barbie Knit Hits)?

snip
Although, just lately I'm contemplating using it with scrap crochet cotton
to make lint traps for my washing machine hose. Yeah, I know I'm weird.

Well, you said it. g But we love you anyhow!
Katherine

Old November 16th 03, 12:38 AM
Karen

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

I've seen the website (www.knitting-and.com). I've mastered the "tube"
feature, but my machine also has a switch that gives you the option to knit
panels. The problem is I purchased my machine at a thrift store and the
directions weren't included. I haven't been able to find any info on
knitting panels with it. I have an instruction book from the 70's, but that
machine didn't have the "panel" switch that mine does.

If anyone has the instruction booklet from the 1990's version of the Mattel
knitting machine I would greatly appreciate a copy!

Best wishes!
Karen

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" wrote in message
| On 15 Nov 2003 19:34:33 GMT,
(Richard Eney) wrote:

Oh, yes. Plaid without the effort, and without all that seam-sewing,

too.
And fast and easy cables, though that would take some seam sewing.

One of the fun uses I've seem for the thin knit cords is to weave them
though the holes in a lace pattern, for a cable & lace effect.

Old November 16th 03, 04:35 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 00:38:15 GMT, "Karen" wrote:

If anyone has the instruction booklet from the 1990's version of the Mattel
knitting machine I would greatly appreciate a copy!

I scanned it a while ago for someone on the spindle mailing list. Just
remember, from this point on it's Barbie talking, not me!

Start quote:
Now we come to another exciting step!
Knitting your first panel!

First step, Set the small lever on "P" position. Turn the handle counter
clockwise (toward you) until it stops. Then take the yarn and let it go
down inside the machine center as you have done before.

Second step. Pass the yarn under the first needle hook, left of the wire
guide. With your right hand, turn the handle clockwise and pass the yarn
behind the next needle hook. Continue on this way, until the yarn passes
into the wire guide and then into the tension arm. Go on turning the
handle clockwise until it stops.

Third step. Now turn the handle toward you until it stops. Then continue
turning the handle clockwise until it stops, then counter clockwise until
it stops. Continue this back and forth movement for 15 times in each
direction. Now your panel is complete. When you reach 30, your panel is
complete.

Careful: When you start turning in one direction don't stop until
the handle stops. When knitting, the tension arm will move up and down to
adjust the slack. WHEN YOU REACH A STOP, THE TENSION ARM SHOULD ALWAYS BE
UP.

Fourth step. Now you can remove your knitted panel the way you did with
your knitted tube. Let me explain again, just in case you forgot. Switch
the lever on "T" position from tension arm and wire guide and hold the yarn
over the center of the machine. Then turn the lever clockwise, until the
panel is released from all needles.

To keep the stitches from unraveling, finish the end of the panel this way:
thread the panels loose end of yarn into your needle and pass it through
all loops, tying a knot through the last loop. Before you knot the panel
end attached to the roll of yarn, unravel some stitches until the loose
yarn is hanging from an end loop. Cut off the yarn about 3/4", thread the
needle and push it through all loops finishing with a knot.

Now take a break. I hope everything went well. If it didn't, don't worry.
It's a good idea to take a rest and then come back when you feel like it.
Then, patiently try the whole process over again. All you need is a little
practice and lots of imagination and you'll be knitting anything you want.
Just look at some of the things I have made using Super Knit Magic!

--End quote.

Old November 16th 03, 07:22 PM
Karen

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! )

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent online trying to find those
directions! I'm so excited to try it out!