Restringing necklace -- length increase?

Old January 2nd 04, 02:29 PM
roxan

Default Restringing necklace -- length increase?

Why would you need to knot between each bead if it wasn't strung that way to
begin with. Or if you have beads leftover make earrings out of them.
Roxan
"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
I'm restringing a necklace of red coral beads. My first inclination was
knotting between each bead, but I'm concerned with the increase in the

length
of the necklace. This would basically double the length (I'm using two #4
threads).

I could knot between every 2 or 3 beads, to keep down the length increase.

I could leave out as many of the beads as to keep the length down, but

then
I've got beads left over (I'm not an artist who could use these again;

just a
practical consumer who wants to rebuild a personal item), and I've not got
the original content (number of beads) of the necklace.

Any other options? Two strands, interwoven, maybe?

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Old January 2nd 04, 07:23 PM
Marisa Cappetta

What was the necklace originally strung on? Maybe you could restring on a
stronger material such as Fireline.
Marisa (AU/NZ)

Old January 2nd 04, 07:35 PM
Christina Peterson

Knotting pearls was originally done because of the rarity of natural pearls,
so if the strand broke you wouldn't lose more than one.

Usually a knot is calculated to be 1/16 inch.

Tina

Old January 3rd 04, 02:56 PM
mkahogan

Dave,

Why can't you use something like softflex and crimps? This is very strong
and no knotting is required?
KathyH

Old January 3rd 04, 06:33 PM
roxan

Crimps are little metal bands that you crimp to hold the ends of your
pieces. Here is a tutorial on using crimp beads. Go to the end to see crimp
bead.
http://64.55.42.241/tips/tips_detail..._and_Stringing
Roxan
"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 6:56:57 -0800, mkahogan wrote
(in message ):

Why can't you use something like softflex and crimps? This is very

strong
and no knotting is required?

I'm using two Griffin Naturseide #4 silk cords together. I'm sure there's
little chance of breakage.

I just liked the idea of the colored (yellow) thread knot contrasting

between
the beads.

Maybe it's best to just duplicate the original design for security's sake.

What are crimps?

Thanks,

Old January 3rd 04, 06:44 PM
roxan

Here is a better illustration on crimping.
http://www.bead-co.com/beadco_instruction.htm
Roxan

Old January 3rd 04, 07:53 PM
Christina Peterson

Ahha. If it's the color of the knotting between the beads you like, there's
an easy way to cheat. (The emphasis being on EASY). String the color
alternately with a seed bead in the color you like.

One reason that I personally don't recommend the knotting, is that it takes
skill to do it well. And it's quite noticeable when it is not done well.

Tina

Old January 13th 04, 06:51 PM
Shirley Shone

You could put a chain expanded on it. Basically it is a length of chain
with links large enough to get a hook through.
Shirley

In article et, DaveC
writes
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 11:53:08 -0800, Christina Peterson wrote
(in message 1073159588.299582@prawn):

Ahha. If it's the color of the knotting between the beads you like, there's
an easy way to cheat. (The emphasis being on EASY). String the color
alternately with a seed bead in the color you like.

What's a "seed" bead?

One reason that I personally don't recommend the knotting, is that it takes
skill to do it well. And it's quite noticeable when it is not done well.

Well, now I've done it! I threaded all the beads (the original beads only,
none added) onto the new silk cord (large diameter -- #4 -- thread). It won't
go around my neck! It's short by about 3 inches. It's been a long time since
this necklace was together, so I'm not sure how "loose" the beads were on the
original, but I'm sure I've not lost any.

I suppose I could take all these off and re-thread, using knotting. But first
I'm looking at my options...

Suggestions?

Thanks,

--