I did it - and I love it! - Lampwork studio set up questions

Old October 19th 03, 12:43 PM
Louis Cage

I have four kilns from Sundance. I used to recommend them without
hesitation, even considering the long wait. I loved the concept of the
modular design and easy portability (since I teach out of town sometimes).
And one of them I have had for several years, and despite many moves and
other abuse, it still is a workhorse.
However, the heating section of the last three I bought have a different
connection from the wire to the elements & I have to doctor them every time
I use them to get them to work. The heating rings used to have an infinite
switch controller built in and now it is a separate unit. The controller
works fine (it is made by Paragon).
So if you are thinking of getting a kiln from Sundance, at least ask if
they have switched back to the old design.

There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques

"Cheryl" wrote in message

I've been emailing a bunch of places asking questions about kilns and
burners and such and the only place to write back to me was sundance - I
think it's artglass1.com. Everyone else seems to be ignoring me. I guess
they don't like newbies.

you can expect to wait months for a kiln from Sundance
Call Arrow Springs direct- and ask for Craig... he'll do most anything -

he
even preconnected my hoses to my torch before he shipped them...

Cheryl of A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old October 19th 03, 05:13 PM
Karen_AZ

Arrow Springs makes terrific kilns. I love mine. If you're on the east
coast, I also recommend giving the guys at Wale Apparatus a buzz. You'll
save on shipping and they have good kilns and great service.

http://www.waleapparatus.com/

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old October 19th 03, 08:52 PM
CLP

Louis - I have been told that the primary things I want to look for in a
kiln a
Firebrick, not fibre
Quartz element
Able to be operated manually with a pyrometer incase the digital controller
breaks
Expandability

How would you compare the Sundance kilns to those of Arrow Springs?
--
It could work.

Live and be well,
Christy