I did it - and I love it! - Lampwork studio set up questions

Old October 13th 03, 07:11 PM
Pam

Ok, an oxygen concentrator... will have to look into that. Hubby did not
like the idea of oxygen tanks in the house either. The more I learn the more
I realize I don't know. Will check the link and search wet canvas again.
Thanks for answering my questions

Old October 13th 03, 07:44 PM
Kandice Seeber

This is where I got my concentrator - it's about $300 including shipping and
will last for a really long time. Extremely easy to use, and you never have
to pay again for oxygen.

http://suncoastbeads.com/

I was paying about $100 per month for oxygen tanks to be filled and
delivered to my house. Of course, I used a tank every two weeks - that's
about 30 hours per week on the torch for me.

Your useage may vary, but the super nice thing is there's never any worrying
about running out of oxy, or waiting for the delivery guy. The concentrator
has already paid for itself in my book.

Check wetcanvas for lots of info on concentrators - also Paulette, the owner
of the site above, frequently posts info on wetcanvas and is very good about
answering technical questions.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old October 13th 03, 10:02 PM
Karin Cernik

Question - can you only use this kiln for batch annealing? How would
you put one bead in at a time - wouldn't it mess up what was going on
inside to open the door each time?

Secondary question - how does batch annealing work? What do you do with
the beads between the time you finish them and putting them in the kiln?

Thanks!
Karin

KDK wrote:

Woo hoo!!!!

The kiln I have ordered is this one:

http://www.hotglassbeads.com/kilnproducts.htm

I ordered it because it is 12 inches deep- so it should hold mandrels. I
don't have it yet though

You can also use a butane torch to fire PMC and the "hot pot".

Can't offer any info on setting up - for now I'm using a Hot head.

Kathy (who's responding to post in backward order) K

PS- I'll have a report of my PMC Level II certification class later.
"Pam" wrote in message
My lampwork class was this weekend - it was so great! I don't think I can
wait for my husband to put a window and ventilation in the garage (because
it will probably take a year for that to happen), so I'm eyeing my laundry
room - it's got a window that opens, a ventilation fan in the

ceiling...tile
floors... it's small, but maybe that is good since I tend to SPREAD all my
cr@p out everywhere and small would make me want to stay organized. Do you
think it's ok to do it in the house like that?

And now I'm eyeing two starter kits:

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/kits.html
The Basics - Professional
MINOR BURNER
OXYGEN REGULATOR
PROPANE REGULATOR
HOSE SET
Regular: $331.00 DISCOUNT PRICE: $297.90

and
same stuff (don't know about the brand of the burner) he
http://www.artglass1.com/kitslamp4.htm for $269.

Has anyone ever ordered from Sundance? Their prices for everything seem
really a bunch lower than the other places I'm finding... sometimes you

get
what you pay for - is this the case with them? Their kilns are also lower
priced than most I've been finding...

I know I don't need a kiln right off - because I know I need lots of
practice... but having a kiln would let me start playing with PMC right

off
and that would make me really happy too I think... plus there is a PMC
certification class in March - so if I started playing now, I might be

ready
for that by then.... so I'm back to kiln questions.

A lot of the kilns I'm finding that have the built in controller and a

front
door say they are good for PMC, fusing and annealing... but I'm wondering
how in the world do you put the beads with the mandrels still on them in

the
kiln and then close the door - I think the mandrels would stick out too
far - see this pictu
http://www.artglass1.com/paragon-sc2-1-r.htm and scroll down to where they
have the fiber blankets and bead rack set up - do they NOT close the

door??
Do they just use the fiber blanket to hold the heat in??? I'm so confused.

thought you had to lock them up tight, let them soak, then ramp the temp
down slowly...

Ok that's it for now I think... thanks for any responses!

Pam

Old October 13th 03, 10:09 PM
Cheryl

But
that would mean I have to go out side and turn it on and off... in the rain.
hmnn... well - hmnn... what if the propane was in the garage which is right
next to the laundry room? a hole throught that wall and it's all indoors,
yet propane is not technically in the house

NO!!!!!
OUTSIDE!
it it is any "enclosed" space and there is a leak - then there is a high danger
of explosion. if the tank is outdoors - and it leaks -- the atmosphere will
dilute and carry it all away in less than explosive concentration. Yes -- rain
or snow - go out and turn them off - may be a bit of a pain - but worth the
safety (I use quick disconnect flashback arrestor combinations -- so you can
just go out push/pull and you are done. If the weather is bad - I put the ends
of the hose in a plastic bag and wrap them up. in the summer I just drape them
over a bench hanging downward).
Same for oxygen -- people don't think of it - but oxygen is highly dangerous in
"concentration" -- put it outside. I once had an ENTIRE tank leak out in one
day-- the day after I got a tank. Not from my valves -- but the tank itself
went bad, it developed a leak along the weld where the valve was inserted to
the tank! If that had leaked in my workroom - the environment would have been
oxygen saturated-- and a highly dangerous situation. Since it leaked outdoors
-- it was all gone -- no problem.
Cheryl of A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old October 13th 03, 10:10 PM
Mary Ann

Being the worrier that I am, you REALLY need to have the propane tank
outside (meaning not in an enclosed area.) Here is one possible
scenario of having it in the garage: Something happens, you don't
realize it but the tank vents (releases the gas into the room). You
(or someone else) walk in flip the light switch or open the garage
door, you get a spark and kaboom!! Now, here is also a scenario that
actually happened to me:

I keep my propane outside, but wheel it into the garage while I am
working. One day I did this, did the usual start-up procedure, then
was called upstairs for a phone call. No problem, I would be right
back, or so I thought. I got distracted. When I walked out of my
office (about as far away as you can get from the garage and be in the
house) I smelled propane. First I thought it was our heater, but then
the realization dawned. I yelled for my son to get out of the house
and (some might say stupidly) ran down to the garage. I could hardly
breathe. I released the garage door opener and opened the door
manually to air out the gas. This could have been REALLY bad. Imagine
if the tank was stored in the garage and it happened in the middle of
the night!

Please be safe.

Mary Ann
http://www.thebeads.com/
http://www.thebeads.com/bulletinboard/

Mary Ann

"Pam" wrote in message news:G0Bib.762014$uu5.132181@sccrnsc04...
thanks Kandice - excellent suggestion about the range hood! And I was
thinking about if I could drill a hole and run my propane in from outside -
why not, hubby drilled a hole to the outside when he was trying to run the
cable from the upstairs to the kitchen and didn't measure properly ;-) But
that would mean I have to go out side and turn it on and off... in the rain.
hmnn... well - hmnn... what if the propane was in the garage which is right
next to the laundry room? a hole throught that wall and it's all indoors,
yet propane is not technically in the house? What about the oxygen - is that
safe inside or should that be out in the garage or outside too? I'm going to
go reserve that book from the library right now.... thanks

Pam

Old October 13th 03, 10:11 PM
Cheryl

PS-- having an OXYGEN TANK OR A PROPANE TANK INSIDE YOUR HOUSE
is a VIOLATION OF FIRE CODE in most states - and any any municipality that as
adopted the "standard fire code."

It will also invalidate your household fire insurance....