letter from Gemini

Old December 11th 03, 03:34 AM
norma woods

Default letter from Gemini

Hi everyone, just got the following from Gem...

Hi Norma,

I hope you're doing well. Are you ready for Christmas? Matthew and I went
yesterday to buy our turkey and trimmings, and our tree too.

I just came to the library to check my email and the newsgroup and thought
I'd drop you a quick note (that you can pass on to the group if you don't
mind).

I saw by a few responses in the newsgroup that there is a little speculation
over why my mom's estate is taking so long to clear up and why I have to ask
the lawyer for money from the sale of my mom's home.... so I'll clear it up
a bit.

First of all when my mom passed away there were a few bills that were
outstanding which there was no money for... due to the fact that her life
insurance didn't have dividends added on and it barely covered the cost of
her funeral. Therefore Matthew and I paid "rent" to the estate account so
that the bills could be taken care of. However, the biggest bill was the
Visa one which I continued paying on my own as it had been mostly my bill to
begin with (I was the secondary card holder, but Visa wouldn't just put the
bill over into my name because I was not a "spouse"). Because that bill
wasn't paid off quickly enough for the liking of the executor, who we always
thought was our "friend", and because he was just getting plan tired of
being responsible for the estate (even though he could have passed it over
to Matthew who was listed as the second executor in case Ronn couldn't/ or
didn't want to look after it)... he chose to sell my mom's home, even though
we were only a couple of months away from being able to pay the bill off
completely and have the property signed over to our names.

When the house sold and I sprained my knee at work, I couldn't do a lot of
packing until Matthew came home to pass me things, so he was doing most of
the packing himself after being up before the birds everyday and working
hard... so we didn't have everything ready when moving day came. I asked
the new owner if we could have more time, offering to pay him $15 per day
(which everyone else I mentioned it to said they wouldn't have offered any
money, just asked for extra time), and he agreed. Within that time I also
sprained the ankle on my opposite foot and the moving was left totally to
Matthew, his best friend, and my nephew.

When I went to the lawyer one day he told me that the new owner had been
into his office twice through the week complaining *loudly* that he wanted
us out of the house as soon as possible... not once did the man contact me,
even though he lives (at the moment) in the house behind us.... we sure do
luck out with having jerks for neighbours, huh? LOL So the lawyer asked me
to please try to finish up at the house that day, which we did.

Now... when we left the house and brought the key to the new owner, we left
behind three old beds that we no good, a large deep-freezer that the boys
couldn't move although they tried five times, and some cardboard boxes which
could go out for recycling. The *only* reason I left the beds and freezer
behind (which I didn't feel comfortable doing) was because I had a few
people say "Since he'll be tearing the place down anyway, the things you
leave behind won't make that big a difference in how many truckloads they
use, so just leave them... people do it all the time!" In fact when we
moved into our house, the last owners had left an old couch down in the
rec-room, which was likely to heavy and awkward to carry up the stairs... we
didn't complain. However, the new owner of my mom's home *did* complain!
He went straight to my lawyer and told him that we had to pay to have those
things removed.

My lawyer told me that the new owner would have to rent a dumpster to put
the stuff in and that we would have to pay for it. He asked me to give him
the go-ahead to authorize the dumpster rental, and said "I cannot legally
give you any more money (except the what we already got for downpayment
toward the new house) from the sale of your mom's home until the new owner
is satisfied that everything is out of the house. So *that* is what the
hold-up is for the money from the sale of my mom's home!

However, last Wednesday Matthew and I got fed up with how long it's been
taking.... I drove by the old house everyday and the new owner had not
gotten a dumpster there at all... so I wrote a letter to my lawyer asking
him to please find out what the hold-up is. I reminded him that this Sunday
past was ONE full month since I passed the key to my mom's home over to the
new owner, and that I thought that was ample time for hime to rent a
dumpster, and that we should not have to wait until he tears the place down
in the spring before my mom's estate is settled and we get the money. Well,
my lawyer must have spoken to the new owner because yesterday morning I
backed out of our laneway to go uptown and looked up the street toward my
mom's home.... it was gone! The trucks and bulldozer were still there
taking away the rubble, but the house was totally levelled.... I'm just glad
that Matthew went for a walk the night before and took a look at the old
house one last time. *sigh*

Anyway... I went to the lawyer's office and left a message with his son
(also a lawyer) that his dad should know what's going on and that we should
not be responsible for more that ONE truckload, as the stuff we left behind
likely wouldn't have even filled one truck. So now we wait until the lawyer
gets the bill from the trucking company and pays that... then we can have
the rest of the money.

My time is up on the computer now, so I have to leave. If I don't get back
on before Christmas (I will try to, but things are hectic), I hope everyone
has wonderful holidays... whatever it is that each of you is celebrating.
)

Love and Peace!
Gem

Old December 11th 03, 01:15 PM
Janise Ross

Norma.

Thanks for sharing Gemini's letter.

Gemini,

When you read us again, please know that I am thinking of you and
Matthew and wish you the best for a wonderful holiday season and new year!

Janise

.. .

Old December 11th 03, 07:43 PM
Katherine

Thanks, Norma.
Gemini,
If you read this, know that we are still thinking of you here. Good luck in
2004.
Hugs,
Katherine
"

Old December 11th 03, 08:45 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Norma,

Thanks for posting the note from Gemini. I can't believe the luck that lady
has, let's hope the new year will be a much better one for her.

Hugs,

Nora
Old December 12th 03, 12:17 AM
Sarah Grace

Thanks for posting Gem's letter, Norma.

Gemini- if you get chance to read this i hope that this is a fresh start in a
fresh new year that will bring all good things for you and Matthew. Have a
wonderful Christmas!

Warmest regards
Sarah