Pics of the wet-finished shawl

Old November 16th 03, 04:05 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:14:07 GMT, SlinkyToy wrote:

I finally got the DH to put on some pants so we could go outside for a
photo shoot.

http://www.fysh.org/~slinky/triloom/first_project and refresh your
browser to get the latest and greatest.

Finished up nicely!

I can see where my troubles arose when I tried using a borrowed one. I used
a heavier yarn that proved weak and prone to breakage.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old November 16th 03, 04:27 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi SlinkyToy,

What a lovely shawl, I've printed out the picture so I can now put another face
to an RCTY member.

Hugs,

Nora
Old November 16th 03, 04:36 PM
Shillelagh

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
Nah, just Illinois -- the worst of all possible weather! Winters
cold enough to freeze a brass monkey, summers in the 90s with 90%
humidity and skeeters big enough to carry away small household pets...

Hah.... we have very similar weather, except for the humidity. In Manitoba
we call the mosquito our "provincial bird". (just kidding). I hate winters
here, especially since in the last few years we have had howling winds along
with the -25C temperatures. Our brass monkeys have to hang on tight to the
trees so as not to be blown away snerk. And now, in summer, we have our
special "West Nile" mosquitoes. bleah.

Shelagh

Old November 16th 03, 04:43 PM
SlinkyToy

*nod* I don't like to think about using weak yarn. Heavy would be
OK, if you want a shawl that weighs pounds and don't mind carrying the
weight around - warmth and a workout, I guess.

I have a load of unspun 3-ply Icelandic in the stash, I'm going to
sample with it on my (very small) looper loom to see how it holds up.
I will probably need to put some twist in it before I can use it for a
big project - even just knitting the stuff tends to pull it apart if
I'm not Jilly-on-the-spot with the tension (or lack thereof).

Old November 16th 03, 05:08 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:43:07 GMT, SlinkyToy wrote:

*nod* I don't like to think about using weak yarn. Heavy would be
OK, if you want a shawl that weighs pounds and don't mind carrying the
weight around - warmth and a workout, I guess.

I think I could have managed with one or the other but not both. The
weakness only really became a problem as the work got tighter, and it got
tight mostly because of the thickness.

I have a load of unspun 3-ply Icelandic in the stash, I'm going to
sample with it on my (very small) looper loom to see how it holds up.
I will probably need to put some twist in it before I can use it for a
big project - even just knitting the stuff tends to pull it apart if
I'm not Jilly-on-the-spot with the tension (or lack thereof).

Which is just the stuff I had the problem with. It would have worked okay
as weft on a normal loom or even knit on the machine, but it was not up to
the manipulations of the triangle loom.

All in all, I was glad to give that loom back. I am also exactly the wrong
height to work with any of the positions on the stand it came with.

Old November 16th 03, 09:16 PM
Norma

Ha, we have the worlds largest mosquitoes, black flies, and we have Muskoka
River Bass, a cousin to the Piranha! (and if you believe that one, I have
some swamp land for sale, too!) VBG

--
Star love,
Norma

Old November 16th 03, 11:40 PM
Katherine Burgess

Wow! That is fabulous! Am I on your Christmas list? If not, would you like
to put me there? g
Katherine

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
I finally got the DH to put on some pants so we could go outside for a
photo shoot.

http://www.fysh.org/~slinky/triloom/first_project and refresh your
browser to get the latest and greatest.

My next project is already out of the stash waiting to be wound into
center-pull balls. I have some mill ends of Brown Sheep Lambs Pride
Bulky in two shades of purple - one an intense purple that is almost
black, the other a very nice lavender. I also have a hank of hairy
mohair from Weaving Southwest in a shade about midway between the two.
I'll use the hairy mohair as a carry-along until it is gone and then
nap the shawl to raise the halo. It'll be a "something for me"
project and I should have it finished next week.

I'm off for the rest of the weekend - we're out to run errands this
evening and tomorrow is "Thanksgiving" with the outlaws and other
farther-flung relations...

WC Project Exchange - pics of my finished project Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 23 October 21st 04 09:45 AM
New pics now posted Ann Quilting 12 October 21st 04 01:13 AM
Finished, WIP's and 'To Do's' Maureen Miller Needlework 11 June 27th 04 08:38 AM
new pic up and old pics moved to webshots Kathy in CA Quilting 0 December 6th 03 12:03 AM
Shawl Pattern - again - New pics Bryan Yarn 10 November 3rd 03 11:39 AM