I did it - and I love it! - Lampwork studio set up questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 13th 03, 04:56 PM
Pam

Default I did it - and I love it! - Lampwork studio set up questions

My lampwork class was this weekend - it was so great! I don't think I can
wait for my husband to put a window and ventilation in the garage (because
it will probably take a year for that to happen), so I'm eyeing my laundry
room - it's got a window that opens, a ventilation fan in the ceiling...tile
floors... it's small, but maybe that is good since I tend to SPREAD all my
cr@p out everywhere and small would make me want to stay organized. Do you
think it's ok to do it in the house like that?

And now I'm eyeing two starter kits:

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/kits.html
The Basics - Professional
MINOR BURNER
OXYGEN REGULATOR
PROPANE REGULATOR
HOSE SET
Regular: $331.00 DISCOUNT PRICE: $297.90

and
same stuff (don't know about the brand of the burner) he
http://www.artglass1.com/kitslamp4.htm for $269.

Has anyone ever ordered from Sundance? Their prices for everything seem
really a bunch lower than the other places I'm finding... sometimes you get
what you pay for - is this the case with them? Their kilns are also lower
priced than most I've been finding...

I know I don't need a kiln right off - because I know I need lots of
practice... but having a kiln would let me start playing with PMC right off
and that would make me really happy too I think... plus there is a PMC
certification class in March - so if I started playing now, I might be ready
for that by then.... so I'm back to kiln questions.

A lot of the kilns I'm finding that have the built in controller and a front
door say they are good for PMC, fusing and annealing... but I'm wondering
how in the world do you put the beads with the mandrels still on them in the
kiln and then close the door - I think the mandrels would stick out too
far - see this pictu
http://www.artglass1.com/paragon-sc2-1-r.htm and scroll down to where they
have the fiber blankets and bead rack set up - do they NOT close the door??
Do they just use the fiber blanket to hold the heat in??? I'm so confused. I
thought you had to lock them up tight, let them soak, then ramp the temp
down slowly...

Ok that's it for now I think... thanks for any responses!

Pam