One beef so far

Old November 23rd 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB[_2_]

Default One beef so far

Shillelagh wrote:
"Richard Eney" wrote in message
In article ,

Just curious, since I have no intention of getting on Ravelry -

Can you change your avatar? Can it be changed frequently?

Yes, some people change their avatar frequently.

Does it absolutely have to be an avatar?
Could you upload a low-resolution picture of one knitted item
instead, and change it occasionally to show off the latest?

Since you have no intention of getting on Ravelry - you just don't
understand why people have many pictures, and why your idea wouldn't
work for most people on Ravelry.

Each person has a virtual "notebook". Within that notebook is a
section for your projects, which most people stock with pictures of
their projects, along with all the pertinent info. Also within that
notebook is a section for listing and displaying your stash -
complete with more pictures. Another section (called a "queue") is
for WIMs - and if there is a picture in the database for that/those
WIMs, it's displayed along with the other info for that project.

I love the queue feature...before I would find a free pattern and have to
save the text and picture separately then later combine them and save. Now
you find a pattern/pix and save em in your queue and everything is together
and you can even add details such as yarn needle size and later start it as
a project in works and add other details such as person its for. I love
hats and am making those again this year for family so it was a big time
saver to use the hat pattern browse feature and search for free patterns all
in one place instead of trying to find via Google and other sites I have
saved.

There are other sections (not within the notebook) on Ravelry for
patterns and yarns - all of which have pictures. This is why
a photohost is needed.

Thousands of people around the world have joined for the community
aspect, and for the fact that it's a wonderful database for projects,
yarn, patterns and discussion. Right now, there are over 2000
different discussion groups people can join. Right now, this minute
- 452 Ravelers are online, at other times of the day over 800 are
there. Some of us are waiting and watching for when it rolls over to
1000. Ravelry is nothing like a Yahoo group, or a Usenet group -
it's totally different, and is probably why so many people are
joining it. ;)

I am going to S. Korea in March for work meetings and was pleasantly
surprised to find a group already with KnittersG so will be checking with
them for shops in Seoul that have yarn.

Donna

Old November 24th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
coggietm

I have been on for about a month and Ravelry has actually gotten me
organized. I have done inventory of my yarn ( donated a bunch) and
needles/hooks. I have found a bunch of people that live by me and met
up for knitting together.
Ravelry doesn't take away from other groups online , it adds to them.

Coggie
Old November 24th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mystified One[_2_]

I'm still waiting for my ravelry invite. (

"DAB" wrote in message news:LTo0j.6100$K_3.1970@trnddc03...
Got my Rave invite and was setting up the notebook....finished stuff and
the only way to load a pix of items is via flicker.......I hate flicker as
for me on a slow dial up it takes forever....all of my pixs are saved on
my hard drive, so other than not being able to post pixs so far looks
good and I found a group for Dayton area knitters.

Old November 24th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Mystified One" wrote in message
I'm still waiting for my ravelry invite. (

It's coming ;) - try to hang in there. Have you got your screen name all
picked out? Do you check where you are on the list checker? It helps to
pass the time.

Shelagh

Old November 26th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Shillelagh wrote:
"Richard Eney" wrote

Just curious, since I have no intention of getting on Ravelry -

Can you change your avatar? Can it be changed frequently?

Yes, some people change their avatar frequently.

Does it absolutely have to be an avatar?
Could you upload a low-resolution picture of one knitted item instead,
and change it occasionally to show off the latest?

Since you have no intention of getting on Ravelry - you just don't
understand why people have many pictures, and why your idea wouldn't
work for most people on Ravelry.

snip

I see. Thanks for the detailed response.

=Tamar

Old November 26th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

Shillelagh wrote:

Since you have no intention of getting on Ravelry - you just don't
understand why people have many pictures, and why your idea wouldn't
work for most people on Ravelry.

snip

I see. Thanks for the detailed response.

=Tamar

Obviously you didn't read the next TWO paragraphs where I did explain in
some detail about how the pictures are used on Ravelry. (shrug) Perhaps you
could go back to my previous post (which you have snipped) and read the
paragraphs about the pictures. If you are that curious - Google Ravelry and
go look for yourself at their screenshots and video on how the site works.

Shelagh

Old November 28th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

Shillelagh wrote:

Since you have no intention of getting on Ravelry - you just don't
understand why people have many pictures, and why your idea wouldn't
work for most people on Ravelry.

snip

I see. Thanks for the detailed response.

=Tamar

Obviously you didn't read the next TWO paragraphs where I did explain in
some detail about how the pictures are used on Ravelry. (shrug)

Huh?? thinks - Oh, you thought I was being sarcastic. I wasn't.
I was just saying thanks for the details, quite sincerely. I'm sorry
I wasn't clear enough.

=Tamar

Old November 28th 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Richard Eney" wrote in message

Obviously you didn't read the next TWO paragraphs where I did explain in
some detail about how the pictures are used on Ravelry. (shrug)

Huh?? thinks - Oh, you thought I was being sarcastic. I wasn't.
I was just saying thanks for the details, quite sincerely. I'm sorry
I wasn't clear enough.

=Tamar

I'm glad you cleared that up for me - I do appreciate it. ;) It just goes
to show how easy it is to be misinterpreted on the Internet. Sorry for
not realizing it.

Shelagh

Old November 28th 07, 09:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

... It just goes
to show how easy it is to be misinterpreted on the Internet.

Indeed. I've been misinterpreted many times :-)

Mary

Old November 28th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Shillelagh" wrote in message
... It just goes
to show how easy it is to be misinterpreted on the Internet.

Indeed. I've been misinterpreted many times :-)

That's why I always ask people if they meant something to come across a
certain way before I embed it into the more indelible portions of my brain.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.