One beef so far

Old November 20th 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default One beef so far

"Leah" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:11:01 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

What's Ravelry?

Mary

It's an online community dedicated to hand work like knitting,
crochet, and I guess even sewing. I've been too busy to sign up, but
my friend did, and it took her a month to get her invite. They are in
the beta testing phase and are adding a couple hundred people every
day, but with thousands in line all the time now, it takes time to get
processed.

Ah, I see, thanks!

Mary

Old November 20th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB[_2_]

wrote:

What's Ravelry?

Mary

It's an online community dedicated to hand work like knitting,
crochet, and I guess even sewing. I've been too busy to sign up, but
my friend did, and it took her a month to get her invite. They are in
the beta testing phase and are adding a couple hundred people every
day, but with thousands in line all the time now, it takes time to get
processed.

You sign up at www.ravelry.com.

Leah

They are processing 700 a day...took me about a week to get on.

Donna

Old November 20th 07, 12:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

"DAB" wrote in

They are processing 700 a day...took me about a week to get
on.

they're getting faster. it took me a bit over 2 months to get
on.
lee
Old November 20th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Thank you all Dear friends , i have thought about that ravelry , and
decided that there is so much i can do aday ,, i HAVE to finnish my
book ,,,,,, and some art , and also you know a bit of house keeping
etc,,,, i must draw a line and say no to such temptations ,,,
mirjam

(Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote in
:

i hope i sm not going to loose contact with all of you when
you go to ravelery ,,,,

i don't think you will. ravelry is an addition to rcty, not a
substitute
lee

Old November 20th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

On Nov 20, 6:33 am, enigma wrote:
"DAB" wrote innews:x6A0j.23811$V74.6184@trnddc02:

They are processing 700 a day...took me about a week to get
on.

they're getting faster. it took me a bit over 2 months to get
on.
lee

My understanding is once it's out of beta, anyone can have access
without being a member.

Hesira
Old November 20th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"DAB" wrote in message

Ok that makes sense. So far I like it and I view it as an additional

source
for my fave hobby and love all the adsG

Isn't that just too funny - that everyone loves the yarn ads on Ravelry?
No blinking, no annoyances, just nice tasteful ads that you can click on,
or not.

Me too, my blog is hosted via my website domain and I can store pictures
there too but will always have them on my PC and thumb drive.

I'll have to upgrade my own technology and get a thumb drive or two.
I think they're a wonderful idea - hey, my DH can get me one for
Christmas!!! I just wanted to get my pics and a few other files backed up,
and quickly. I don't always remember to do that.

Shelagh

Old November 21st 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB[_2_]

hesira wrote:
On Nov 20, 6:33 am, enigma wrote:
"DAB" wrote innews:x6A0j.23811$V74.6184@trnddc02:

They are processing 700 a day...took me about a week to get
on.

they're getting faster. it took me a bit over 2 months to get
on.
lee

My understanding is once it's out of beta, anyone can have access
without being a member.

Hesira

Yes I saw that somewhere on the site.

Donna

Old November 22nd 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Shillelagh wrote:
snip
It would cost the Ravelry owners far too much money to host all the pictures
of all the people on Ravelry, so that's why a photo host like Flickr is
necessary. I signed up to test using Photobucket (which I far prefer), but
it still requires uploading pictures to a photo host. The only pictures
hosted on Ravelry servers are the avatar pictures you load into your own
profile.

Just curious, since I have no intention of getting on Ravelry -

Can you change your avatar? Can it be changed frequently?
Does it absolutely have to be an avatar?
Could you upload a low-resolution picture of one knitted item instead,
and change it occasionally to show off the latest?

Just as an aside, I also have all my pictures on my hard drive as I would
never trust any photo hosting service with my only copies. Just the other
day I backed up all my pictures and filled 4 CDs. ;)

That's the way! Never trust a hard drive either! Some people say to
put one in a ziploc[tm] bag and keep it in the freezer, in case of fire.

And frankly, I still like printed out copies, that don't take electricity
to look at.

=Tamar

Old November 22nd 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Richard Eney" wrote in message
In article ,

Just curious, since I have no intention of getting on Ravelry -

Can you change your avatar? Can it be changed frequently?

Yes, some people change their avatar frequently.

Does it absolutely have to be an avatar?
Could you upload a low-resolution picture of one knitted item instead,
and change it occasionally to show off the latest?

Since you have no intention of getting on Ravelry - you just don't
understand why people have many pictures, and why your idea wouldn't work
for most people on Ravelry.

Each person has a virtual "notebook". Within that notebook is a section for
your projects, which most people stock with pictures of their projects,
along with all the pertinent info. Also within that notebook is a section
for listing and displaying your stash - complete with more pictures.
Another section (called a "queue") is for WIMs - and if there is a picture
in the database for that/those WIMs, it's displayed along with the other
info for that project.

There are other sections (not within the notebook) on Ravelry for patterns
and yarns - all of which have pictures. This is why
a photohost is needed.

Thousands of people around the world have joined for the community aspect,
and for the fact that it's a wonderful database for projects, yarn, patterns
and discussion. Right now, there are over 2000 different discussion groups
people can join. Right now, this minute - 452 Ravelers are online, at other
times of the day over 800 are there. Some of us are waiting and watching
for when it rolls over to 1000. Ravelry is nothing like a Yahoo group, or a
Usenet group - it's totally different, and is probably why so many people
are joining it. ;)

Shelagh