Does this look like it would be relatively easy?

Old November 7th 07, 09:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Does this look like it would be relatively easy?

I am trying to figure out what kind of sweater to put on my list to
make, and typical for my "if it's just a normal/typical thing, it's not
my bag" personality, I found a sweater that I would like to try:

http://www.klaam.com/sheknits/Sweaters.htm
and look at the Ribbon Stitch Pullover at the bottom of the page. It
looks like something that I would wear, you can make it to fit whatever
size you are, and I think the diagonal line would be flattering.

Does this look like a complicated project that I might be best off
trying after a first pass at an easier project? (I do okay with
knitting corner-to-corner dishcloths, and I have made two items before
that use increases at markers for shaping, so this sweater looks like
the same type of thing and also something that I might be easier able to
get to fit my unconventional dimensions better than your average random
sweater, but I am having an awful time making this one unprintable
adjective of a tessellated fish that has repeats or increases at random
spots because I keep forgetting where I'm at.)

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old November 7th 07, 11:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

It's a lovely pattern, and I read through it with great interest.
Looks like it would be very simple to do once you got the hang of the
increasing/decreasing. To me, any project is worth trying. ;-) I'd
pick out the part of the pattern that stumps me or looks a bit
confusing and get that down pat first. The sleeves are what made me
'blink' in the pattern.

MargeInReno

Old November 7th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
It's a lovely pattern, and I read through it with great interest.
Looks like it would be very simple to do once you got the hang of the
increasing/decreasing. To me, any project is worth trying. ;-) I'd
pick out the part of the pattern that stumps me or looks a bit
confusing and get that down pat first. The sleeves are what made me
'blink' in the pattern.

MargeInReno

It looks fairly easy to me too - but I'm in the throes of knitting a very
complicated shawl in cobweb :-)

Mary

Old November 8th 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
FarmI

wrote in message
It's a lovely pattern, and I read through it with great interest.
Looks like it would be very simple to do once you got the hang of the
increasing/decreasing.

It is a lovely jumper but I couldn't understand the ribbon pattern at all
and that is after finishing just the neckline bask and I've been knitting
for at least 50 years!

Could you translate it for me please? The pattern says:
The Ribbon pattern stitch on the photo begins with the very first row as
follows:
1. Knit every stitch with color #1
2. Purl every stitch with color #1
3. Knit 2 sts of color #1, and 2 sts of color #2
4. Knit 2 sts of color #1, and PURL 2 sts of color #2
5. Knit every stitch with color #1
6. Purl every stitch with color #1

I can't figure out what she means by these instructions. I didn't even
bother getting to the sleeves when this first bit stumped me.

Old November 8th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

FarmI wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

On those rows, you knit with different color yarns, sometimes an entire
row with one color, sometimes just 2 sts alternating color. That's what
gives it a `ribbon' effect. You could just leave it and use the color
scheme of the rest of the sweater, or knit all in one color.

sue
Old November 9th 07, 07:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
FarmI

"suzee" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Ah! Thank you. I now see that the instructions are written in a sloppy
way. It's 6 row pattern - simple when pointed out to me. I wonder why it
didn't say:
Row 1, Knit every stitch with colour #1,
Row 2 Purl every stitch with colour #1,
Row 3, Knit 2 sts of color #1, and 2 sts of color #2
etc.
Odd way of writing instructions. I might go back and now try to get to the
sleeves.

Old November 9th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

FarmI wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

confused That's what it does say.... at least that was what was posted
above...

Old November 9th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

It looks like that pattern is not so much a commercialized pattern to
follow as much as is it instructions on how to create the sweater. I
didn't think that part was confusing (but then again, I have been sewing
without patterns for about 10-15 years and have knitted without patterns
my entire life except for one brief but unsuccessful fling 10-15 years
ago that resulted in a lousy sock and my recent attempts to learn how to
follow a pattern). What part of it do you not understand?

Old November 9th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

FarmI wrote:

Row 3, Knit 2 sts of color #1, and 2 sts of color #2
etc.

I think you have to purl the color 2 stitches so they stand out.

Old November 10th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
It looks like that pattern is not so much a commercialized pattern to
follow as much as is it instructions on how to create the sweater. I
didn't think that part was confusing (but then again, I have been sewing
without patterns for about 10-15 years and have knitted without patterns
my entire life except for one brief but unsuccessful fling 10-15 years
ago that resulted in a lousy sock and my recent attempts to learn how to
follow a pattern). What part of it do you not understand?

What I'm confused about is you... you said "I wonder why it didn't
say..." When that's exactly what it did say! Unless there was a real
subtle difference in the way the 2 instructions were written out in your
posts that I missed...

sue

suzee wrote:
Ah! Thank you. I now see that the instructions are written in a
sloppy way. It's 6 row pattern - simple when pointed out to me. I
wonder why it didn't say:
Row 1, Knit every stitch with colour #1,
Row 2 Purl every stitch with colour #1,
Row 3, Knit 2 sts of color #1, and 2 sts of color #2
etc.

confused That's what it does say.... at least that was what was posted
above...

Odd way of writing instructions. I might go back and now try to get
to the sleeves.

AD: Not easy being green Susan B. Beads 0 November 10th 06 04:15 AM
the easy way OT KJ Quilting 0 May 8th 05 02:42 PM
Easy Handcraft for you to do. Terriel Marketplace 0 October 25th 03 03:37 AM
Easy to use ULTRA PUNCH Embroidery needle. Punch it easy. Terriel Marketplace 0 October 22nd 03 09:42 PM
OT - This is not easy life Karen Yarn 2 October 10th 03 12:43 AM