Wedding quilt - Help me decide!

Old October 13th 05, 02:19 AM
extremevalues

Default Wedding quilt - Help me decide!

My 1st cousin is getting married next October. She was born when I was
14 and she was my favorite cousin. I babysat her quite a bit. But I
have not had much contact with her in the last 15 years or so. She was
in my wedding and my 13 year old daughter will be in her wedding.

Now I need to make some choices, and the sooner the better.

1. What kind of quilt is appropriate for such a relationship?
A) Should I peice something that is fabulous and of heirloom quality?
(Don't know if that's possible, but I can make a lone star)
B)Or should I make a simple pieced pattern that she will probably be
equally thrilled with? (
C) somwhere in between.

Also, please suggest some pattern that would go with your choice.

2. What colors should I use and why?
A) Totally scrappy
B) Her home dec colors
C) Her wedding colors - Chocolate brown and pink
D) What I like

3. What size should I make?

Carol in TX
Need Therapy? Make a quilt!

Old October 13th 05, 02:43 AM
Bookbug

Hi Carol,

Here's my 2 cents--make the quilt that will make you the most happy. I
know that sounds funny because the wedding couple is supposed to be the
primary focus, but I think if you are pleased, they will be too.

Therefore, if you want to go all out on this because she was your
favorite cousin, then do it. On the other hand, if there's a quilt
pattern you are eager to try--even if it not appliqued, embroidered
with lace and tassels, then do that quilt. The point is, the quilt
will be a very personalized gift because you made it and that is very
special.

As for colors, the wedding colors would definitely commemorate the
event, but do you think she would use the quilt or "save" it? If it's
to be an heirloom, "saving" is fine, but if you want her to use it, it
might be better to match home decor or go scrappy.

I know I haven't really helped pin it down, but maybe I posed some
ideas that will help you decide? I hope so.

Michelle (a fellow "your pick" quilter)

Old October 13th 05, 02:46 AM
Dannielle

Any quilt is appropriate. Make one that she will use. Will she and her new
DH have a queen or king sized bed? Does she have a color theme in mind for
that room? Maybe you want to make something smaller to put on the back of
her couch? What is her favorite color? Or is there something that stands
out in your mind that reminds you of her?

As long as you can make the quilt for them out of the love in your
heart....it will be the right quilt!

Dannielle

ups.com...

Old October 13th 05, 02:50 AM
Ann

Hi Carol
You should choose a pattern that you will enjoy making.....it will go easier
and faster that way Even a simple easy pattern can be absolutely stunning.

As for colours, she obviously likes choclate brown and pink and will
undoubtedly work those colours into her home dec so you can go with that.
Or something neutral that will go with anything. Scrappy goes with anything
and everything too.

Size.......to fit the bed, a generous queen size if you are that ambitous.
Or lap size if that's what you are leaning towards.

Make her a quilt that she can use for years to come I'd think. I'm sure she
will be thrilled with whatever you decide.

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

Old October 13th 05, 02:50 AM
frood

I'm pretty much with BookBug and Danielle, but I'm intrigued by the wedding
colors. That's what I'd go for, partly because I'd have fun working with
those colors, and partly because, she must like them or they wouldn't be the
wedding colors!

For size, I'd either make a bed size, or a generous couch size - big enough
for 2 to snuggle under. (I typed "snuttle" the first time and that just
looked um.... naughty!)

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply

Old October 13th 05, 03:16 AM
extremevalues

Thanks for the ideas! I like the thought of her using whatever it is I
make. I don't really like the idea of heirlooms unless they are of
that high of quality to actually become one. I don't think anything I
have made thus far counts!

I guess I could just let the "your pick" girls make the blocks for
this! HMMM if I can go sooner, rather than
later..........hmmmm......... NAH! I think I'm gonna give you guys
something crazy to work with!!!

Carol in TX
Need Therapy? Make a quilt!

Old October 13th 05, 03:38 AM
Polly Esther

Ordinarily, I'd answer that her home dec colors and wedding colors won't be
around very long. However, since chocolate brown and pink are her choices
*now*, ah, my! What a gorgeous combination. There are just heaps of
quilts that would thrive with those two colors. You can make just about any
pattern with chocolate and pink. Well, I can't much picture a Baltimore
Album in those two but generally you can go from old-timey to truly wild.
But, yes. Do a quilt that you love doing. It will show.
No real help from me. I don't do decisions these days. Polly

Old October 13th 05, 03:41 AM
extremevalues

I know that picking what I want is the way to go. I am just stuck, and
don't want to wait another six months trying to figure it out. I need
some inspiration!!

Anyone just want to suggest patterns? Ranging from simple to
intermediate. I really don't want to do the heirloom thing and I don't
do applique (unless it's fusable). Maybe you guys know of some great
patterns that I have never seen.

I really think I will do a lap or larger quilt, not a wallhanging.

Carol in TX
Need Therapy? Make a quilt!

Old October 13th 05, 03:48 AM
extremevalues

"No real help from me. I don't do decisions these days. Polly "

Wonder Why?

Anyway, your post helps a lot!! I have been told not to do pink and
brown (which I was truely considering) since it is her wedding colors.
I guess it is too trendy, and will be looked upon as a UGLY in a few
years, but I figure a few years later it will be back in style again,
well maybe 20 or 30 years, but her kids or grandkids may like it....
Who cares?? Right! Maybe I'll post the Pink and brown things I have
done on EQ. Then you guys can see if they are UGLY now!

Carol in TX
Need Therapy? Make a quilt!

Old October 13th 05, 04:13 AM
Louise

In the late 80s, I had a quilt book (probably still have it somewhere) that
had a sampler quilt done in pinks and browns - I loved it and always said
I'd make one some day. Well, some day hasn't come yet, but I still remember
the warm and fuzzy feeling I got when I looked at that quilt. If she likes
it and you can find the right colors, I say go for it!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com