How does it make you feel?

Old January 4th 04, 10:55 PM
Christina Peterson

Actually I've always wonder how an artist feels when the finished piece
diminished the element she or he created. Or when you make a great piece
and the giftee gives it to a kid because it's the wrong color or whatever.
(Something they would not do with a piece of jewelry from a store).

Tina

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
How does it make you feel, as a person, an artist, or pusher of Paua

shells,
to see your contribution to the bead word used in a lovely finished piece?
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old January 4th 04, 11:27 PM
Carol in SLC

I took the "pusher of Paua shells" bit as an attempt at affectionate teasing
of Harry.

Same here.

Perhaps it would have been clearer if Diana had stuck an emoticon onto it

Probably would have helped. Not everyone visiting here is as familiar with
Diana as some of us.

Carol in SLC
My newest creation: http://members.aol.com/CarolinSLC/peacecu.jpg
http://members.aol.com/CarolinSLC/peace.jpg
Old January 4th 04, 11:29 PM
Lee S. Billings

In article 1073253323.71153@prawn, says...

Actually I've always wonder how an artist feels when the finished piece
diminished the element she or he created. Or when you make a great piece
and the giftee gives it to a kid because it's the wrong color or whatever.
(Something they would not do with a piece of jewelry from a store).

Two thoughts about this, from a maker of finished pieces:

1) What you've described here is analogous to the person who spends 6 months
writing a short story and then sends it out... and gets a rejection letter. It
would be foolish to pretend it doesn't hurt. It would be equally foolish to
pretend that it's not going to happen sometimes. Consider it an occupational
hazard of being in any creative field of endeavor.

2) When someone gives me an item that for one reason or another I don't find
suitable, but I can think of someone else who would like it, I will frequently
pass it along to that person. I think of this as honoring the *intent* of the
person who gave me the item, which was that it should give pleasure. If the
pleasure given is at one remove, it's still pleasing someone. And yes, I've
been known to pass on "jewelry store" pieces as well, rather than having them
languish unappreciated in my own jewelry box.

Celine

--
Handmade jewelry at
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat

Old January 4th 04, 11:39 PM
Kandice Seeber

Glorious and giddy!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old January 4th 04, 11:41 PM
Kandice Seeber

Oh, you guys, I think Diana meant this in a good way - not in a negative
way.... correct me i I am wrong, but I think she meant how do we feel seeing
our pieces made into jewelry....I don't think there was underlying negative
meaning at all. Diana's not like that, from what I can tell.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

I am not sure what you really mean by this. It sounds like a redundant
statement to me. You wouldn't do something you hate to do, if it didn't
please you to see your things as finished pieces you wouldn't do them. As
far a pusher of Paua shells, Harry is doing the same as other here by
selling his things. I don't think you meant to offend him, so I hope he
doesn't take your statement as offensive.
Roxan

Thank you. I have been pondering on what the meaning or underlying meaning
of the message may or may not have meant. After some thought I took it to

be
an interest as to weather I was pleased with the item made. I do love Paua

shell and
do not look to make a huge profit from the sell as can be easily seen by

my prices.
My primary goal was to introduce something beautiful to those who have not

seen it.
I hope I have not offened anyone with my post or sells? If I have I am

sorry and
will refrain from doing so in the future. I just wanted to offer a product

that is unique
and perhaps bring some joy to others.

Harry

Old January 4th 04, 11:43 PM
Kandice Seeber

Yes, completely. After all - I am a bead pusher, because I make beads. We
are all bead dealers - like drug dealers - because beads (and Paua shells!)
are addictive. We love this about ourselves.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

says...

I am not sure what you really mean by this. It sounds like a redundant
statement to me. You wouldn't do something you hate to do, if it didn't
please you to see your things as finished pieces you wouldn't do them. As
far a pusher of Paua shells, Harry is doing the same as other here by
selling his things. I don't think you meant to offend him, so I hope he
doesn't take your statement as offensive.

I took the "pusher of Paua shells" bit as an attempt at affectionate

teasing of
Harry. Perhaps it would have been clearer if Diana had stuck an emoticon

onto
it; one of the limits of this kind of communication is that facial

expressions
and tones of voice don't come thru.

Celine

Old January 4th 04, 11:44 PM
Kandice Seeber

You're an artist. And yep, a Paua shell pusher - and in this group,
that's a GOOD thing. We're all willing!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

How does it make you feel, as a person, an artist, or pusher of Paua

shells,
to see your contribution to the bead word used in a lovely finished

piece?
Diana

It was wonderful to see a simple creation of God
turned into something so beautiful. I do wish I had the talent to create

such
objects of beauty, but my talent is limited to being able to see what I

would
love to create and lusting for the ability to do so. I have many visions

of what
I would like to see made from these marvelous pieces and am in hopes of
others to use their talents to bring them to life.
How does it make me feel as a person? It feels good!
How does it make me feel as an artist? Do not consider myself an artist.
How does it make me feel as a pusher of Paua Shells? Seeing something so
lovely makes me happy that I did.

Harry

Harry's Happy Place
http://harryb41.homestead.com/HarrysHappyPlace.html
My Ebay Auctions

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&rows=50

Old January 4th 04, 11:48 PM
Kandice Seeber

Well, I try not to look at it as being diminished, but as being different
from what I personally do with the things I make. If someone gave one of my
creations to a child because it was the wrong color....hmmmmm, I am not
sure. I would either be happy for the child, or I might feel the need to
explain the kind of work that goes into the piece. I've never had that
happen, so I am not sure how I would feel.
I have seen some of my beads made into things that I didn't feel were quite
right, but that's a subjective thing. I try to tell myself that this
person's vision of beauty is just different from my own, and not necessarily
wrong. It's hard, though - a couple of times I just cringed. No one here,
though!!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old January 4th 04, 11:49 PM
Kandice Seeber

You always have such a good way of saying things, Celine. I totally agree
with both statements!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Gonna go make beads Carol in SLC Beads 7 September 1st 03 07:04 PM
Novice question - seeds vs beads (and how to make a seed last) WalkerDlwalke Beads 0 August 10th 03 11:40 PM
more eyepins, can i make them into head pins?? Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 8 July 13th 03 06:39 PM
OT, sorta: No chance to make beads grrrr! Kalera Stratton Beads 12 July 9th 03 06:44 AM