Warning about "crackle beads"

Old July 29th 03, 06:41 PM
Lee S. Billings

Default Warning about "crackle beads"

I've bought two or three strands of bicolored "crackle glass" beads, and
yesterday was the first time I'd had occasion to use them in a piece. It's a
good thing I "wear-test" my necklaces! The colors aren't in the glass, they're
just a coating, and several hours later when I took it off, I saw that the
coating had started to come off where the beads were in contact with the skin
at the back of my neck! So that piece is going to be pulled apart and redone
with something else, and the crackle beads are being set aside for use in
earrings and pins only. sigh It's a shame, they're awfully pretty...

Celine

--
Handmade jewelry at http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat
"Only the powers of evil claim that doing good is boring."

Old July 29th 03, 07:01 PM
Valerie

The colors aren't in the glass, they're
just a coating, and several hours later when I took it off, I saw that the
coating had started to come off where the beads were in contact with the skin

at the back of my neck!

I've used crackle beads many times and this has never happened. Although I did
buy some from a craft store before and the coloring peeled off in flakes. Maybe
if you spray them with acrylic it might help?

Valerie
Website: http://www.geocities.com/m2ir8/index.html

Old July 29th 03, 10:53 PM
SmartAlecBlonde4

The colors aren't in the glass, they're
just a coating, and several hours later when I took it off, I saw that the
coating had started to come off

Yes, I've got some dark purple ones that are now very light purple. I love
crackle beads and have used the clear ones in some of my bracelets.

Jo Jo
Old July 29th 03, 11:48 PM
White Raven Designs

I have recently been stocking Chinese glass beads that appear to have the
color applied over a clear base bead,
any one had any problems with the color rubbing off on these?
Sorry I can't show a picture of them, haven't got around to scanning them
yet!

--
Warmest Regards,
Nita,

Old July 29th 03, 11:54 PM
rainbow

If you don't want to say where you bought them on the list, please send
me an emai privately, I own some crackle beads. I would like to know
whose you bought. I don't want to use them if there is a problem.
Rainbow

Old July 30th 03, 12:24 AM
laura

Grrrr... I bought two little bags of these a little while ago. They *look*
really nice. But I just took a piece of wire to one of them and sure
enough, the color was a coating, and it flaked right off. It took a little
bit of elbow grease, but I don't think I'll be using them in a necklace, if
this is happening for you when they're worn.

I do have some tiny clear ones, also, and I use those all the time.

Laura

Old July 30th 03, 02:45 AM
C Ryman

I bought some cut glass beads with the prettiest blue lining inside. I
soaked one in water and poked a toothpick in and the blue color (paint) came
right off. It's so disappointing :-{
I don't know what to do with them now.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old July 30th 03, 03:16 AM
Nicole @ Black Cat Beads

These particular "Crackle" Glass beads are coated... They are made in
China. The Czech are
also making cracle glass beads that are not coated. I would ask who ever
you are buying from if they are before you purchase. Some colors like
tanzanite purple and Hot pink are NOT colors you can naturally get in
glass and are either dyed or coated. So beware

--
Nicole
Black Cat Beads

eBay Sto http://www.stores.ebay.com/blackcatbeads

I never met a bead I did not like! : )

Old July 30th 03, 04:02 PM
Beadesignr

I make crackle beads when I'm feeling brave..LOL! It involves putting the hot
bead into some water, then "healing" the outside with the flame.
The colour should _never_ rub off; in fact it's impossible, unless they're
dyed.
Evalynne
http://www.beadsuncommon.com
Beads Uncommon Lampwork
Think Uncommon Jewellery

Old July 30th 03, 04:15 PM
Tink

I get a real adrenaline rush when I make those... LOL! They're darn pretty,
too. And I've never had any break.

--
Tinkster
www.imeltstuff.com