Making a ring from a quarter - Kind of cool - OT

Old May 22nd 05, 01:26 AM
Jeanne Burton

On Sun, 22 May 2005 17:46:45 -0400, Tinkster
wrote:

This looks pretty cool. anyone done it?
http://forgedunderthemountain.com/FUTMPG3.html

Tink

I had one when I was a kid, made from a nickel. The father of one of
my friends made 'em for all of us...I'd LOVE another one.

Jeanne
Old May 22nd 05, 10:46 PM
Tinkster

Default Making a ring from a quarter - Kind of cool - OT

This looks pretty cool. anyone done it?
http://forgedunderthemountain.com/FUTMPG3.html

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old May 22nd 05, 10:59 PM
Polly S.

Tinkster wrote:
This looks pretty cool. anyone done it?
http://forgedunderthemountain.com/FUTMPG3.html

awwww that brings back memories... My first boyfriend (jr. high) gave me
two rings, one made from a nickel and the other made from a nut (as in
nut and bolt) that had been rounded and filed really smooth, inside and out.

-----

Sad story... two weeks after I broke up with him (and gave both rings
back, of course) him and his sister were killed in a train accident.
That was my first encounter with losing someone close. He was a cool and
funny guy!

--
Polly

--
don't spook my groove...
icq 13968113
Old May 22nd 05, 11:10 PM
Charlie

Now that I have to try

Charlie.

Old May 23rd 05, 01:15 AM
Glitzy Glass

I think those are so cool - and want to try it - but take a look at
this - it says that defacing US Currency is a crime

United States Code
TITLE 18
PART I
CHAPTER 17
=A7 331. Mutilation, diminution, and falsification of coins

http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/usc...rms=3Ddefaces=
&url=3D/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000331----000-.html

"Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs,
diminishes,
falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of
the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current
or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States;
or whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or
sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings into
the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered,
defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled, or
lightened- Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more
than
five years, or both."

Like the statute I previously discussed, prior to 1994 when this law
was amended, the statute read "fined not more than $2,000". This
was
changed in 1994 to read "shall be fined under this title" which
effectively gives the court the authority to impose a fine at its
discretion. Of course the imprisonment terms mentioned in the statute
speaks for itself.

NOTES TITLE 18 SECTION 331
http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/usc...18_00000331--=
--000-notes.html

"Do people sometimes do this and get away with it?"
Sure they do. We've all seen it and yet no one seems to be swooping
down on the violators to haul them off to jail.

"If this is the law spelled out before us in black and white then why
doesn't the government prosecute everyone who does it?"
Your guess is as good as mine; but nevertheless, there's the law,
just
as it is written and just as you asked.

The whole thread on bills as well as coins can be found here
http://answers.google.com/answers/th...ew?id=3D426715

I have to admit that I never knew that - do you think it only refers to
counterfiets?

Denise R.
Glitzy Glass Studio
www.glassbeadsz.com

Old May 23rd 05, 02:00 AM
Lori Greenberg

My dad used to do these with silver half dollars. I used to love watching
him tap tap tap away. I think he'd do it at the fire station when they were
slow. )

--
--------------------------------------
Lori Greenberg

justbeads:
http://snipurl.com/axek

Old May 23rd 05, 07:22 AM
Charlie

It's true over here too. Apparently you're not supposed to write on notes
and stuff. In practice I don't think they'd care unless it was racist (not
the right word) or something against the Queen.

Charlie.

oups.com...

http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/usc...1----000-.html

http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/usc...000-notes.html

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=426715

Old May 23rd 05, 05:23 PM
Kalera Stratton

Tinkster wrote:
This looks pretty cool. anyone done it?
http://forgedunderthemountain.com/FUTMPG3.html

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm

My local jeweler was just telling me about how her daughter's favorite
ring is one of these... I couln't quite picture it, but now I can!
Thanks for the link.

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old May 23rd 05, 09:15 PM
Cheryl

the question is one of INTENT

if the INTENT of the person mutilating the coin is to defraud another -
then it is illegal.
In the old days people would "shave" coins (i.e. when they were real
gold or silver)
to keep a little - then get rid of the rest of the coin. Theoretically,
if you did this enough - you could make a nice "chunk of change."
That is why the law was passed. If you use the coin for non-monetary
purpose - i.e. melt it down for the gold or silver content - and do not
intend to use it as a coin -
it has been "removed" from circulation.... and no harm no foul (melt
the remainder of the silver coin for other purposes... don't attempt to
use what's left!

I.E. If you cut the edge off - for a ring - then give it to a store
as "change" - you are in deep trouble!!!!!!!

defacing a paper bill may be a little edgier problem.... but the coin
thing
only prevents you from doing something to it - and then representing it
as still
legal currency.
As long as you don't pass it as "currency" after you have altered it -
you are ok.
Cheryl

Old May 25th 05, 02:23 PM
Glitzy Glass

Thanks Cheryl that is so interesting and makes so much sense - now I am
going to rifle through my change and try to do one of these!!

Denise R
www.glassbeadz.com