1390 Quilt

Old April 5th 05, 04:59 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I didn't have a bit of trouble understanding what you were trying to say.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Luisa" wrote in message
I found the book: Solange Kergreis "Petit cadeaux en Boutis" ed Didier
Carpentier. I try to translate from French
....the quilt has been found on 1890 in Italy by the Comtesse Maddalena,
in the house of Conte Guicciardini.in Usella village near Prato ..it was
used by the house servants.
The part of quilt known in V&AM has 6 central scenes simmetric and 8
scene placed horizontal in down and vertical borders, both sides.
Persons and sentences in old sicilian slang and gothic character ,are
embroidered in brow thread on ecru fabric The quilts on V&AM and the
quilt in BM are the same works because they have the same subjects , kind
of brodery and they have the same coat of arms of Guicciardini family in
the corners- we know that on 1395 Laodomia Acialnoli married Piero son of
Luigi Guicciardini and the quilt has been a gift and made to celebrate
this wedding with the sad history of Tristan and Yseut.
It has been sold to Bargello Museum in Florence on 1927- there is a note
on the inventory " White bedspread, embroidered with 8 scene relief,with
Tristan story and texte sicilian dialect and gothic characters. Made up
by 3 longitudinal embroidered strips; measure 2,47 cm x 2,07 . Paied
90.000 liras on June 1927 ,to Comte Paolo Guicciardini"
Why it has been cut in two parts? I cannot find (for now) but I think it
has been cut because the blankets in this period were used also to cover
walls and doors and , may be, it was too big ...for a door.... sorry I was
joking...I foud somewhere that it was a part of gift for a daughter but I
don't know who she was...I try to find something else on Sicilian quilt
and I hope to write you again.
Anyway it is very difficult for me to write english...I read and
translate almost well but when I must write it is a very...disaster....I
apologize again..
thanks Luisa

-------------
"Luisa" ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .
Magic Patch "Les bases du Trapunto" pag 6 -1997
year of quilt:1395- in Victoria and Albert Museum is a part of the
original quilt about the tragic love of Tristan and Yseult . the
embroidery is written in sicilian language, the fabric is a linen ecru'
and embroidered around the persons, in dark thread -
I apologize for my english
thanks Luisa
www.luisaquiltpage.supereva.it

----------------

"georg" ha scritto nel messaggio
Luisa wrote:

--yes, 1370/90, the quilt has been cut in two pieces, one is in an old
Sicilian house and the other piece is in Victoria and Albert Museum in
London
Luisa-Genova

From what I have seen and learned, they were two separate quilts, and
there is a third one in the set that has fewer scenes. The one in Italy
in the Bargellow Museum in Florence is badly damaged though with scenes
removed. I believe the one in the London (of which this one is a scene)
has completely finished edges.

What makes you think they were cut apart? I'd love to see what you have
read on it. I don't mind being wrong and shown anew.

-georg

Old April 5th 05, 06:44 PM
georg

Luisa wrote:

------------------------------
sorry but I cannot help you more..I don't know where to go and see some new
news,I can try to find the Bargello Museum link and ask if they know
something else...
thanks for your kindness
Luisa

And I thank you for your information and assistance!

Every Bargello Museum link I have found is geared for selling entrance
tickets. I haven't seen one that is sponsored by the museum itself,
either in Italian or English.

-georg
Old April 5th 05, 07:01 PM
frood

This has been one of the politest discussions I've seen in ages! I thought
for sure since it started out with a difference of opinon that it would go
downhill. But I've learned so much from reading this! It's fascinating, even
if I didn't follow it all. Thanks to both of you for helping me learn more
about georg's project, and the info behind it.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old April 5th 05, 08:02 PM
georg

frood wrote:

This has been one of the politest discussions I've seen in ages! I thought
for sure since it started out with a difference of opinon that it would go
downhill. But I've learned so much from reading this! It's fascinating, even
if I didn't follow it all. Thanks to both of you for helping me learn more
about georg's project, and the info behind it.

There are often disagreements in academia. She may be right and I will
have learned something new. The idea certainly has not been spread in
English, and is definitely worth mentioning when I finish my write-up.
There are definite seams where the borders were attached to the story
panels. It is possible the whole thing was cut and re-arranged, or just
worked on in huge pieces. As it is, the story pictures are non-linear.
And there is no clear evidence if these quilts were meant to lie on the
bed or be used as bed curtains, or hang on the walls.

I have learned a lot while working on this project about the history of
quilting, and I'm happy to learn more and share what I do know.

-georg
Old April 5th 05, 08:05 PM
Diana Curtis

Its been a good long time since we had a juicy catfight here in rctq. I
miss those days. Snarks and attacks... sniff... see what happens when
good hearted, nice people post? ... Im so proud (but bored) ;-) .
Diana

Old April 5th 05, 10:06 PM
maryd

Ditto here.... I found this thread very interesting.

--
Mary
"frood" wrote in message
. com...
: This has been one of the politest discussions I've seen in ages! I thought
: for sure since it started out with a difference of opinon that it would go
: downhill. But I've learned so much from reading this! It's fascinating,
even
: if I didn't follow it all. Thanks to both of you for helping me learn more
: about georg's project, and the info behind it.
:
: --
: Wendy
: http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm

Old April 5th 05, 10:07 PM
Pat in Virginia

Diana,
You want a cat fight? OK! How about this?! I
always wash all my new fabric. I do it before it
even goes into the stash. I think that is the best
way!! Does that ease the boredom?
PAT in VA/USA

Old April 5th 05, 11:47 PM
Anne

Pat (Diana, are you watching?)

Oh you are so horribly misguided! You must never ever wash your new
fabric because it will lose all that lovely crunchy sizing feel :-P
That is by far the best way to do anything ever!

Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm

Old April 6th 05, 12:26 AM
Diana Curtis

No, but it does make me shudder in horror at the thought of someone so
organized and on top of things. Or, is that envy?
Diana

Old April 6th 05, 12:27 AM
Diana Curtis

Hee hee... thanks, but this is just light weight. But if this is the
worst our group ever gets I will consider myself lucky, consider the
alternative more carefully, and stay quiet. :-)
Diana, glad for the chuckles

Anne wrote:
Pat (Diana, are you watching?)

Oh you are so horribly misguided! You must never ever wash your new
fabric because it will lose all that lovely crunchy sizing feel :-P
That is by far the best way to do anything ever!

An evil quilt attacks you ! Karl-Hugo Weesberg Quilting 18 September 4th 10 12:55 AM
Nice Quilt Story Sk8eraunt Quilting 4 October 2nd 04 03:46 PM
De-lurk, vintage quilt tops, and an idea Debra Quilting 7 January 15th 04 03:58 AM
My first "real" Quilt -- LOL Kathy in CA Quilting 2 August 12th 03 10:28 PM