Introduction - lurking not spying

Old October 3rd 04, 04:42 PM
Rob Ridley

Default Introduction - lurking not spying

Hi
I have to admit to lurking here for several months now. Have always been
meaning to introduce myself but... with a very hectic life and dial-up
internet connections I'm lucky to be able to just read messages a couple of
times a week.
I guess it was last week that I found the form to be in the directory and
the message that if we were just lurking we wouldn't be included. My push to
take time to say "hi!"

So, this is me.
My name is Marilyn, and I live in a small town in Alberta. A year and a half
ago I married husband #3. I believe I've finally got it right! Between us
we claim 16 children, (only 1 still legally a child but he doesn't live with
us) and 16 (17 in Dec) grandchildren. (Right here you can see how my time at
the computer is limited, grin). We have two golden retrievers and 1 cat at
home at present, subject to change without notice.
My husband and I are both very into our hobbies (He is a knifemaker) and
attempting to find ways to dabble in each others workshops. We would
eventually like to turn the hobbies into a full time business.
I have sewn since I was a child, from doll clothes to my own and my family's
and then into home decor stuff. THEN I found quilting! and have been hooked
ever since. With the addition of grandchildren to my world I've gone back to
children's clothing along with baby quilts. I have many UFO's, as projects
for myself tend to get put on a back shelf when something needs to be
completed on a schedule.
My husband had owned an older home as a rental property that needed complete
renovation. We chose to move in to it when we got married as we thought
living here we could fix it up much easier than having to commute to it to
work on it. The brainwave was to store all of the stuff we wouldn't need
right away in the double garage, fix up the house, sell it and then move to
something that would accommodate all of our hobbies and still leave room for
kids to come visit.
Life sure does know how to get in the way! It was amazing how much STUFF my
husband and I had when we put it all together in 1 place! The garage was
stacked floor to ceiling and boxes in every corner of the house. 2 months
after we moved in we ended up with a daughter moving in with us (all her
stuff got added to the garage) and 4 months after that an infant
granddaughter was placed in foster care by social services and we began what
ended up being a 5 month court battle to have her come live with us. We had
the joy of having a baby in the house for 6 months (She was 11 months old
when she finally got here.) then social services decided that her mother had
jumped through enough hoops and should have another chance with her
daughter, so Aug 1 the granddaughter moved back to her mothers, Sep 1 the
daughter that was living here moved into another rental house that we own,
and we are only a 3rd of the way through the renovations that we had hoped
would have been finished last spring.
Now, with a little more space in my house (several garage sales and dump
trips helped) and a little more time, maybe the siding will get finished
before winter, some of my UFO's will get finished and I will get more
computer time.
As for quilting, my preference is for traditional patterns in jewel tones or
autumn colors and I seem to prefer making bed size quilts. It's a good thing
I don't quilt only for myself as they would all look the same! I'm a real
fabriholic and a gadget junkie and my collection of quilting books and
magaizines need their own set of bookshelves.
I've just spent the last two days at the Creative Stitches & Crafting Alive
Show in Calgary and am just itching to get into my sewing room and play with
the new toys I brought home.

Wishing everyone a great quilty day

Marilyn
(marigold has been my online name for about 8 years now. I love their bright
happy colors and they will survive against all odds!)

Old October 3rd 04, 06:13 PM
teleflora

"Rob Ridley" wrote in message
Hi
I have to admit to lurking here for several months now. Have always been
meaning to introduce myself but... with a very hectic life and dial-up
internet connections I'm lucky to be able to just read messages a couple

of
times a week.
I guess it was last week that I found the form to be in the directory and
the message that if we were just lurking we wouldn't be included. My push

take time to say "hi!"

Welcome, Marilyn. I am always in such awe of you people who manage to
quilt, sew, etc, when all around you is chaos. (Or at least chaos to me! I
grew up with one brother and I had one child, so my life is real quiet).
This is a great group and I hope you have fun here. Just jump in with both
feet. Everyone has an opinion about most everything, but I don't see blood
being drawn very often. Out of all the groups I visit, this one and
alt.sewing seem to be the most friendly for such large, active ng's. I've
yet to spot much cliquish behavior. I think because quilting is and always
has been such a group activity.

Anyway, welcome.
Cindy

Old October 3rd 04, 06:13 PM
BGSuntil

Me too! It seems I never have time to do anything but work. I get home about
8:00 at night ,dinner to make, clothes to be done... The only time I have for
myself is Sunday. Then it is the internet for a few minutes and quilting.
My name is Sharon, I have been married 24 years. Two girls(23) now a registered
nurse,(18) in college taking math teaching classes. Two dogs,cat,rabbit, and
fish.
I have been quilting since I was 13,now 47. I guess I got it from my
grandmother. I found some quitl tops she did when she was young,about 70 years
ago now.
The internet has given me a lot more rescorces to quilting ideas,which I am
thankful for.
Everyone here is so nice I promise I won't be a stranger.
Sharon
Old October 3rd 04, 07:04 PM
Louise

Sharon, welcome to the group. My grandmother was the only other close family
member that was a quilter, too, and I'm so glad I inherited the gene (if
that's what it is!). I know the frustration of not having enough time to get
it all done -- I don't accomplish much during the week, but Sunday
afternoons are "get something done" time.

This is a great group: friendly and helpful and fun! Come back often.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old October 3rd 04, 07:10 PM
Kate Dicey

Rob Ridley wrote:

Hi
I have to admit to lurking here for several months now. Have always been
meaning to introduce myself but... with a very hectic life and dial-up
internet connections I'm lucky to be able to just read messages a couple of
times a week.

Welcome into the daylight, and the mad world of the great cyber quilt frame!
I guess it was last week that I found the form to be in the directory and
the message that if we were just lurking we wouldn't be included. My push to
take time to say "hi!"

'Bout time, too!

So, this is me.
My name is Marilyn, and I live in a small town in Alberta. A year and a half
ago I married husband #3. I believe I've finally got it right! Between us
we claim 16 children, (only 1 still legally a child but he doesn't live with
us) and 16 (17 in Dec) grandchildren. (Right here you can see how my time at
the computer is limited, grin). We have two golden retrievers and 1 cat at
home at present, subject to change without notice.

Yikes! I thought 16 bridesmaids was bad enough...

My husband and I are both very into our hobbies (He is a knifemaker) and
attempting to find ways to dabble in each others workshops. We would
eventually like to turn the hobbies into a full time business.

Knives and quilty stuff... Hm. Well, it should cover most couples!

I have sewn since I was a child, from doll clothes to my own and my family's
and then into home decor stuff. THEN I found quilting! and have been hooked
ever since. With the addition of grandchildren to my world I've gone back to
children's clothing along with baby quilts. I have many UFO's, as projects
for myself tend to get put on a back shelf when something needs to be
completed on a schedule.

Sounds like you travelled much the same route as I did! I seem to be
stuck on bridal things for the moment! At least they pay and then go
and live somewhere else!

My husband had owned an older home as a rental property that needed complete
renovation. We chose to move in to it when we got married as we thought
living here we could fix it up much easier than having to commute to it to
work on it. The brainwave was to store all of the stuff we wouldn't need
right away in the double garage, fix up the house, sell it and then move to
something that would accommodate all of our hobbies and still leave room for
kids to come visit.

Sounds good! The trouble with plans is...

[...]

Well, you surely found out what happens to the best laid plans!

Now, with a little more space in my house (several garage sales and dump
trips helped) and a little more time, maybe the siding will get finished
before winter, some of my UFO's will get finished and I will get more
computer time.

Nah... You'll find other urgent NEW sewing projects to do for
Christmas!

As for quilting, my preference is for traditional patterns in jewel tones or
autumn colors and I seem to prefer making bed size quilts. It's a good thing
I don't quilt only for myself as they would all look the same! I'm a real
fabriholic and a gadget junkie and my collection of quilting books and
magaizines need their own set of bookshelves.
I've just spent the last two days at the Creative Stitches & Crafting Alive
Show in Calgary and am just itching to get into my sewing room and play with
the new toys I brought home.

Ooooh! Fun! I just reorganised my space, and made it easier to get to
things! sewing is more fun when you can get to the toys!

Wishing everyone a great quilty day

Thank you! I had piles of red wool lint to dig out of my machine after
finishing some jackets. More customer sewing tomorrow, and I hope to
get a binding on my lap quilt!

Marilyn
(marigold has been my online name for about 8 years now. I love their bright
happy colors and they will survive against all odds!)

Makes me think of rubber gloves... But I'm warped, so just ignore me!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old October 3rd 04, 07:16 PM
frood

Hi, Marilyn (or Marigold, if you prefer!),
Welcome to the group!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old October 3rd 04, 07:34 PM
Joanna

Welcome to the group. What small town are you in? I'm in Innisfail.
Joanna

Remove Quilt to reply

Introduction [email protected] Beads 21 November 19th 04 02:45 AM
I"ve been lurking.. now I have a question... Sheri Shanks Beads 54 May 3rd 04 07:42 PM
Introduction & question Valerie Beads 60 March 20th 04 07:26 PM
An introduction & the jump to evenweave Raine Needlework 161 March 6th 04 05:16 AM
Introduction, and request for help Audrey Beads 4 February 22nd 04 07:46 AM