1000 women for nobel peace prize in 2005

Old March 9th 04, 12:17 AM
nzl*

Default 1000 women for nobel peace prize in 2005

http://www.1000peacewomen.org/

there has to be heaps of quilters who qualify for this.
think of all those who organize masses of quilts to be sent to people who
suffer trauma of one kind or another in so many parts of the world, so far
away from their own home country.
quilts bring physical warmth and emotional comfort to those in need.
surely that brings 'peace' everytime they wrap up in their quilt.
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

Old March 9th 04, 01:21 AM
Mary in Oregon

Just curious ..... how many on RCTQ do any sewing for charity? I make chemo
caps for 2 treatment centers.

--
Mary

Old March 9th 04, 01:31 AM
Sharon Harper

ME! Quilts for Ronald McDonald House.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html

Old March 9th 04, 01:48 AM
Mary in Oregon

We don't have a Ronald McDonald house nearby. I just found the info on a
local quilt guild that I will check into further. They make quilts for the
local abused children group home. IIRC they put together kids for people to
pick up and complete then return the quilt for distribution.
http://www.scar-jaspermtn.org/

--
Mary

Old March 9th 04, 01:55 AM

I've been making ABC quilts for babies (aids, alcohol, abandoned) and
Linus (older kids) for many years. Brings great happiness and
satisfaction. 8^) Nancycog in MD (And the scraps go to Jill for animal
shelter pets)

Old March 9th 04, 02:14 AM
Lisa Caryl

Hi Mary,
As a group, my guild does quilts for the local police departments, firemen
and sheriff's deputies to carry in their cars for children that need them..
I think I did 4 or 6 last year, I can't remember for sure.

On my own, I've donated several tops I've made for shop samples to Target
house. My friend April quilts them on her long arm machine. Target house is
where families stay when their children are being treated at St. Judes. I
once got to see a picture of a boy who recieved one of my quilts. It was
priceless. He looked so happy snuggling in something I had never planned to
finish! I'm so glad I decided to give it away.

--
Lisa Caryl
http://www.picturetrails.com/quiltygurl

remove the obvious to reply

Old March 9th 04, 02:17 AM
Mary in Oregon

How wonderful to see a recipient of one of your labors of love. Guess I've
made about 500 chemo caps but only seen one in use. But they disappear from
the baskets so know they are being worn.

--
Mary

Old March 9th 04, 03:28 AM
Denise Jameson

I belong to two guilds. Both guilds make chemo caps, Project Smile
quilts (for kids undergoing chemo therapy) and "fire" quilts for those
who may have lost their homes to fire. We also give to our local
shelter for battered women and their children. We do this in both
guilds year round and it's always needed.

Denise in Ontario, Canada