Newb ? about buying/making loops

Old November 2nd 03, 03:56 PM

Default Newb ? about buying/making loops

Hi all,

Just started making beaded jewelry and I'm using all sterling
components. SS eyepins and headpins are pricey and I'm finding myself
snipping off better than half the pin. The snipped piece isn't quite
long enough for me to use again hence I'm tossing them, wincing each
time.

I've got a Rio Grande catalog and wonder if I shouldn't just buy SS
wire and make both ends of the loop myself, now that I've got the
technique down. Can I just buy a spool and get moving or do I have to
do 'something' to the wire? I see references to annealing when making
jump rings and whatnot, but I have no soldering equipment, no hammers,
nothing like that. Just a humble pliers. g

Thanks,
Hera
Old November 2nd 03, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the response, Kathy.

I'm not concerned about jump rings as much as making rosary-type bead
loops. I'm new so not up on the lingo, but if I want a bead (or two)
on a wire with a loop at each end, I've been buying eye pins and
making the other loop myself. That's expensive (and wasteful) and I'd
wondered about using using straight SS wire and snipping and looping
to suit. Since these would be for dangles on bracelets and other
things (bookmarks) that get banged around quite a bit I wondered about
the strength of the wire.

Sorry if I wasn't too clear on my original post.

Hera

Old November 2nd 03, 08:59 PM
Dr. Sooz

I'm using all sterling
components. SS eyepins and headpins are pricey and I'm finding myself
snipping off better than half the pin. The snipped piece isn't quite
long enough for me to use again hence I'm tossing them, wincing each
time.

Oh dear -- save those snips and send them to someone, if only for the sake of
recycling precious metal. (There are several people here who would delight in
receiving them!)
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old November 2nd 03, 09:00 PM
Dr. Sooz

I've got a Rio Grande catalog and wonder if I shouldn't just buy SS
wire and make both ends of the loop myself, now that I've got the
technique down. Can I just buy a spool and get moving or do I have to
do 'something' to the wire? I see references to annealing when making
jump rings and whatnot, but I have no soldering equipment, no hammers,
nothing like that. Just a humble pliers. g

Yes, definitely! Buy the right gauge wire for your needs, and make wrapped
loops (not just a loop).
Wrapped loops: How to Make a Hangman's Noose---
http://www.mavissmith.com/neweb/wire...mansnoose.html
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old November 2nd 03, 09:01 PM
Dr. Sooz

Of, if you're me and lazy, just buy some Sterling Silver jump rings.
Actually, I use split rings almost exclusively

Yes -- so much more secure!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old November 3rd 03, 01:07 AM

Thanks for the tip on buying the wire (and for the source.) Is there a
suggested all-around gauge I should shoot for?

This brings up another point: The jump rings that connect the bars and
rings on sterling silver toggles... are those SS too? I'd think they
must be otherwise when I buy by gram weight, I'm paying for scrap.
I've been saving those, and my snips of head pins et al, and throwing
them in a baggie, just because. Thanks for letting me know they're of
use to someone!

Hera