mosiac tiling on outside wall?

Old November 18th 04, 01:48 AM
doug

Default mosiac tiling on outside wall?

Hi,

I have a section of plywood underneath a frosted window (beside our front
door) that I was interested in putting some ceramic tiles on. I've done a
fair bit of wall and floor tiling inside the house, so I know some of the
basics. However, because I will need to tile on an existing vertical
surface I'm not sure of two things: what type of
mastic/mortar/thinset/glue/whatever to use (the wall is protected from
direct moisture, but it is outside); is it possible to set small mosaic
tiles on a vertical wall without them moving/falling?

thanks
doug
Old November 18th 04, 04:48 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Doug

Step one is to sand and prime the surface the tiles will be affixed
to.
Good waterproof tile adhesive can be obtained from most swimming pool
supply houses along with a UV protected vinyl based grout for swimming
pool use. Going to this extreme may be overkill since it won't be
underwater, but it will be more likely to hold up through harsh
winters if you have them where you live.

TTUL
Gary

Old November 18th 04, 07:54 PM
Andy

that's what thin set is for. It's thick enough to provide plenty of
"grab" so the tiles won't fall. When tiles get bigger (12 x 12's) then
you apply the mastic and the spacers....on a vertical surface.

Andy

doug wrote in message 45...
Hi,

I have a section of plywood underneath a frosted window (beside our front
door) that I was interested in putting some ceramic tiles on. I've done a
fair bit of wall and floor tiling inside the house, so I know some of the
basics. However, because I will need to tile on an existing vertical
surface I'm not sure of two things: what type of
mastic/mortar/thinset/glue/whatever to use (the wall is protected from
direct moisture, but it is outside); is it possible to set small mosaic
tiles on a vertical wall without them moving/falling?

thanks
doug

How to Display Fused Glass Pieces on a Wall Jeff or Lori Hultman Glass 3 February 14th 04 09:23 PM
Mosaic on a Stucco Wall? stricks760 Glass 2 February 4th 04 04:06 PM
wall sconce question ariadne Glass 8 November 10th 03 07:13 PM
wall sconce question ariadne Glass 0 October 28th 03 06:25 PM
Decoupageing a Bathroom Wall LuciDreamState General Crafting 1 September 29th 03 11:55 PM