OT - Story: Time Flies

Old January 17th 05, 11:25 AM
Kathy N-V

Default OT - Story: Time Flies

On the way home from one of my many doctor's appointments last week,
Bob and I stopped at the pharmacy to get me a new toothbrush. We
heard a "Hey, Bobby and Kathy!" and turned to see the mother of one
of our high school friends. She's a very sweet lady, and we stopped
to chat for a few minutes.

"So, where's the baby?" she asked.

Bob and I are used to hearing Amanda referred to as "the baby" (her
Grandpa calls her nothing else), so we weren't too surprised. Bob
commented that she was in school.

"Oh, that's wonderful!" the lady gushed. "It gives you guys a little
more time together, and I'll bet the house stays cleaner. It's so
hard when they're small."

Bob and I looked at each other sideways. What WAS she talking about?

"So, is she in Kindergarten or still in preschool?" This was
especially funny because in our section of Boston, Kindergarten is
pronounced "kindee-gahten," and this lady's accent is particularly
strong.

I was dumbstruck, but Bob answered for both of us. "Um. Manda's in
high school. She's a freshman."

Several heartbeats pass in total silence. Then the lady replies,
"Wow. Time flies. Last time I saw her, she was the blondest little
girl I'd ever seen. Guess she's not that little any more, huh?"

I answered, "Not little at all. She's several inches taller than I
am. Still pretty blonde, though."

We left the lady still shaking her head. "Gee, I thought for sure
she was in kindee-gahten."

(Only if she was held back about ten times)

Kathy N-V

Old January 18th 05, 06:51 AM

We left the lady still shaking her head. "Gee, I thought for sure
she was in kindee-gahten."

(Only if she was held back about ten times)

SNORT!!! And did you tell Manda this lovely story.....
how hard did she laugh...

though .. I can relate - I had lunch with a retired former co-worker
last week.
I asked how his daughter was..... and he replied she was working in
VA....
and 28..... "28?!?!? "I exclaimed... "can't be....."

I can remember babysitting her when she was bout 5 -- she'd never seen
a tropical fish tank - and tried to reach in and catch a fish.... LOL
they do grow up fast... sigh

Cheryl

Old January 18th 05, 05:25 PM
Kaytee

In article .com,
" writes:

I can remember babysitting her when she was bout 5 --

Sigh... I remember my Chinese "nieces" crawling on my lap, and feeding them
their dinners while my girlfriend cleaned up their messes....

The "little China dolls" are all grown up now-- one is doing a residency in
opthamology, the other is a concert violinist... and their baby sister is a
high-school jr planning on going to Yale.... They still giggle when "auntie"
speaks Chinese to them, but at least they no longer look to their mother to
check if I really said what they thought I said.... I remind them, that no
matter how "big" they get, they won't be "grown up" as long as they have
aunties who remember them wearing diapers....
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com