questions about elastic

Old April 24th 05, 02:35 PM

Default questions about elastic

I'm confused and am hoping some kind soul will be able to help me.
When I go to look at elastic, I find several different types of
elastic. There's non-roll, which does seem reasonably
self-explanitory, if it works. But what about braided and knitted and
plain old flat elastic. Where should the various types be used? I'm
mainly looking for waistbands and ankles for martial arts pants to be
made out of soft cotton, silk, or possibly rayon if I can't convince
people otherwise.

Also, regarding how to measure elastic--how much difference between
waist and elastic length should there be? How much does it change the
length of the elastic if it's sewn in? I'm guessing this varies
depending upon the type of elastic, but is there a good rule of thumb?

Any help is much appreciated!

Sue

Old April 24th 05, 02:48 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , S of uttered
Where should the various types be used? I'm mainly looking for
waistbands and ankles for martial arts pants to be made out of soft
cotton, silk, or possibly rayon if I can't convince people otherwise.

O.. K ... which martial art(s) in particular are you talking about?
Certainly in my own case, elasticating the pants on my judo Gi would
lead to certain disaster, as would making them out of other than *very*
solid calico, preferably with reinforced knees.

Also, regarding how to measure elastic--how much difference between
waist and elastic length should there be? How much does it change the
length of the elastic if it's sewn in? I'm guessing this varies
depending upon the type of elastic, but is there a good rule of thumb?

As you surmise, it depends on the elastic. If you stitch through it, it
will seriously reduce the amount of "give". You have to stretch the
elastic by hand both before and behind the needle as you sew.
(Personally I wouldn't recommend it). There is, however, a "sports"
elastic you can get, with or without a drawstring threaded through,
which has channels along the length of it. You stitch down the channels
(stretching as you go) and then steam it like mad.

--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old April 25th 05, 10:25 PM

Where should the various types be used? I'm mainly looking for
waistbands and ankles for martial arts pants to be made out of soft
cotton, silk, or possibly rayon if I can't convince people otherwise.

O.. K ... which martial art(s) in particular are you talking about?
Certainly in my own case, elasticating the pants on my judo Gi would
lead to certain disaster, as would making them out of other than *very*
solid calico, preferably with reinforced knees.

*laugh* I can see how that would be a bad thing. In this case,
internal martial arts--tai chi, ba gua, xing yi. So little or no
contact, either with other people or the floor. The waist elastic is
primarily to keep the fabric evenly distributed around the garment
rather than for support. Definitely a drawstring there too.

As you surmise, it depends on the elastic. If you stitch through it, it
will seriously reduce the amount of "give". You have to stretch the
elastic by hand both before and behind the needle as you sew.
(Personally I wouldn't recommend it).

On a slight tangent from there, what about mens' boxer shorts? My
husband's all have the elastic sewn in. Is this a special case? And
if you do use elastic with a casing, not sewn in, how do you keep the
darned stuff from twisting? Would tacking it in a few places do the
trick? Or perhaps two or three vertical lines of sewing with the
machine?

Thanks for your help!

Sue

Old April 25th 05, 11:18 PM
Kate Dicey

S wrote:

[...]

There is a special sort of elastic for sewing in this way. Here's one sort:
http://www.sewing.co.uk/images/elbear.jpg

And a soft type:
http://www.sewing.co.uk/images/elplsh.jpg

More elastic than you'll ever need here!
http://www.sewing.co.uk/elastic.htm
NAYYY...

As for keeping waist elastic from twisting: yes, I sew it in place! I
'stitch in the ditch' down the seams, so it doesn't show!
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 25th 05, 11:59 PM
BEI Design

"S" wrote in message
On a slight tangent from there, what about mens' boxer shorts? My
husband's all have the elastic sewn in. Is this a special case?
And
if you do use elastic with a casing, not sewn in, how do you keep
the
darned stuff from twisting? Would tacking it in a few places do the
trick? Or perhaps two or three vertical lines of sewing with the
machine?

Yes. ;-)

Boxer shorts elastic is usually sewn with a chain stitch, so doesn't
stretch the elastic out permanenetly. And if you
"stitch-in-the-ditch" of CF, CB, and side seams, it will keep the
elastic from roling in a casing.

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Old April 26th 05, 01:44 PM

Thanks for all the help! I'm definitely finding that sticking the
stuff under the needle is the EASY part of sewing. It's the knowing
what to use and when that's difficult.

Sue

Old April 26th 05, 05:12 PM
Kate Dicey

S wrote:

Thanks for all the help! I'm definitely finding that sticking the
stuff under the needle is the EASY part of sewing. It's the knowing
what to use and when that's difficult.

Sue

A lot of the time you get needle problems with elastic: it tends to
grab the thread and hang onto it, giving you loopy threads under the
work! Some of this can be alieviated by tightening the upper tension,
using a stretch or jersey needle, and sewing slowly. If you look like
having to sew elastic in a lot of waistbands, it's worth investing in a
roll of waistband elastic.