Ceramics newsgroup

Old December 20th 03, 12:40 AM
Steve Holcomb

Default Ceramics newsgroup

Hi,
Does anyone know of a newsgroup dedicated strickly to ceramics and not pottery?

Thanks,

Steve
Old December 20th 03, 04:15 AM
Dewitt

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:40:01 -0500, "Steve Holcomb"
wrote:

Does anyone know of a newsgroup dedicated strickly to ceramics and not pottery?

What is your definition of "ceramics"?

deg
Old December 20th 03, 07:39 AM
Monika Schleidt

Steve Holcomb wrote:

Hi,Does anyone know of a newsgroup dedicated strickly to ceramics and
not pottery?

what is in your opinion the difference between ceramics and pottery?

Monika
--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/mskeramik

Old December 20th 03, 03:00 PM
Bob Masta

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:40:01 -0500, "Steve Holcomb"

------=_NextPart_000_0036_01C3C667.E4841B60

Hi,
Does anyone know of a newsgroup dedicated strickly to ceramics and not =
pottery?

Thanks,

Steve

If you mean "ceramics" in the technical sense
as a material or technology and not as a craft
involving painting glaze on bisqued puppy dogs
and angels, then
sci.materials.ceramics
is the only one I know of. However, it gets *very* little
traffic, probably less than one post per week unless
someone comes up with an interesting problem.

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Old February 24th 04, 09:37 PM
D Kat

I was amused to see your sig. I have 3 or 4 working dt2821 boards sitting
in my store room that I once used for speech research. For reasons I can no
longer remember we moved on to a DAQ board..... I cannot face the idea of
giving up the boards because they were so expensive but hate seeing them not
put to use.... Is there a market for these anymore? DKat

Old February 25th 04, 02:03 PM
Bob Masta

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:37:05 -0500, "D Kat"
wrote:

I was amused to see your sig. I have 3 or 4 working dt2821 boards sitting
in my store room that I once used for speech research. For reasons I can no
longer remember we moved on to a DAQ board..... I cannot face the idea of
giving up the boards because they were so expensive but hate seeing them not
put to use.... Is there a market for these anymore? DKat

I don't know about a "market" for them, but they can be used with
my Daqarta software in real-mode DOS. (Win9X or earlier.)

The DT2821 was the grandaddy of all data acquisition boards,
and really was amazing in its day. But they did things in a lot
of ways that are downright screwy by more modern standards.
It was by far the hardest board I've ever written a driver for.
(However, I was also making it do tricks that the manufacturer
said it couldn't do, like simultaneous input and output.)

It would be a great kiln controller as far as resolution
goes (12 bits), but its just too darn hard to program.
If you count your time for anything, it might be cheaper
in the long run to use another board. Or use my (shameless plug)
Daqarta software with them and you have a scope/
spectrum / spectrogram analyzer... no obvious application to
pottery, but you can make some great voiceprints!
(And you are putting an old ISA-bus computer to work
instead of sending it to the landfill.)