Photographing your beads

Old June 30th 04, 10:41 PM
Dr. Sooz

Default Photographing your beads

This has come to my attention.....not because anyone here asked in the last
week, but because of those who contact their fellow beadmakers asking for tips.

If you don't know how to photograph your beads, learn. Google it. Research
it. Do NOT email fellow jewelry-makers or lampworkers, asking them how to do
it.

How in the world do you get the nerve to ask them to teach you how? Does
Angelina Jolie give lessons on how to be sexy to J.Lo? Hell NO. They are
COMPETITORS. Does Usher give Justin Timberlake tips on how to have a hit
record? NO! They are COMPETITORS.

How can you ask someone who's competing with you for customers to help you do
this? Don't you realize you're asking them how to make you a BIGGER THREAT to
their income?

SERIOUSLY. Are you even thinking at ALL???????? Do you go to the girlfriend
of the guy you like, and ask her, "How can I get him to be MY boyfriend? What
does he like in bed?"
~~
Sooz
Old June 30th 04, 10:47 PM
JoAnn Paules

I used to work for a needlework shop here in York. One day a woman called
the shop and the owner answered. This woman had the chutzpah to ask for
directions to get to a larger shop about 60 miles south of here. And then
she got ****y when Gail refused to tell her.

When I worked for Gateway Country we often got phone calls asking us where
they could buy Dell computers.

Some people are absolutely clueless.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old June 30th 04, 10:55 PM
Dr. Sooz

I used to work for a needlework shop here in York. One day a woman called
the shop and the owner answered. This woman had the chutzpah to ask for
directions to get to a larger shop about 60 miles south of here. And then
she got ****y when Gail refused to tell her.

When I worked for Gateway Country we often got phone calls asking us where
they could buy Dell computers.

Some people are absolutely clueless.

Another thing -- the people who know how to photograph their beads had to WORK
to learn. What makes anyone decide they can ride on their coattails? Go learn
how -- and do it yourself. Or pay these folks to teach you. Asking is just
incredibly bad manners.

Want to flame me? That's fine. I've been flamed to *death* this week already.
I can take whatever you dish out, and then some, so you might want to think
twice.
~~
Sooz
Old June 30th 04, 11:17 PM
JoAnn Paules

No flames here. I am a firm believer in helping people to teach themselves.
It goes back to that "give a man a fish" line.

Sounds like you've had a rough week. Does this help?
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Sooz}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Old June 30th 04, 11:36 PM
Marisa2

I'm sorry to disagree, but I thought this was a place anyone could come
for tips on bead making, jewelry making, selling our wares, etc?

I am annoyed with people who just come in and say "I want to make some
money so I thought making jewelry would be a good way for a quick buck.
What can I do to start selling them?" without any other introduction.
But I think asking for tips in a specific area should be ok.
Especially if, say, you point people to your website and they say "I
like your work, but I really think better photography would help. It
looks dark." That seems like an opening to say "do you have any tips on
working on that?" or "do you have any suggestions for better cameras?"

I find the photography tips of those here very useful. I always
thought that if I were going to buy a camera again I would definately
come here for advice first.

marisa2

Dr. Sooz wrote:

[...]

Teva Yafae Original Designs
inspired by nature

For unique jewelry or apparel, or to learn about having your
own Jewelry home-party or children's party, please visit:

http://www.tevayafae.com

Old July 1st 04, 12:09 AM
Kandice Seeber

I have to say that I get emails asking about my photography pretty much
every other day. I have written tutorials, posted tips, helped people via
email, etc. etc. and it does get tiresome after awhile.
I *have* worked very hard to get good pictures, and I didn't ask for any
help. I researched it on my own and fumbled my way through it. I read
through the hundreds upon hundreds of tips posted in all the various forums.
My pics have evolved through the last few years. I started on a scanner,
and now I use a digital camera and software.
I don't have any real quick fixes or secrets - and people are kind of
disappointed when they ask and I list all the steps I have to go through to
get good pics. Some people write me back and say that they had no idea it
was so difficult and that they were hoping there was a small, quick secret
to it.
Just like selling on ebay, there is no quick small secret to success with
good photography. It's a lot of time and hard work.
I am a nice person. I try not to be proprietary with regard to beadmaking
technique or photography or any other aspect of my business. I'm not stingy
with the help - just ask the people I have helped in the past. Read the
tutorials I have posted in 8 million different places. But I am not so
excited about just giving away all my hard work and time by sending everyone
who asks a step by step list of what to do to get the same exact kind of
pictures that I can get. I already did that with my ebay tips and tricks,
and I *still* get people asking about it. I have to stand out somehow, and
my pictures are one way I stand out to my customers. There's so much
competition out there that one has to be exceptional in some way to achieve
success. Yes, my beads are pretty good. At least, I think so. And my pics
are really good, and I am proud of that. If you want pics that are as good
as mine, you have to work as hard as I do for them.
Wow. Sorry about the rant. Sometimes these things just touch on a nerve.
Carry on!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old July 1st 04, 12:12 AM
starlia

I have no idea what started this, but I agree with Kathy. Asking one person
how they do something when they are competitors is rude. I don't mind
giving out information as long as I see that the other person is doing some
sort of research.

You guys know I'm looking for another camera. I did ask what everyone is
using and why they like the cameras. Then I take that information and test
out said cameras. Before asking though I had two cameras in mind that I
thought could do the trick. Do you know what I found? It's probably
overkill on the cameras I chose and I may not have to spend as much money.
Yeah!

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

gy.com...

Old July 1st 04, 12:15 AM
Kandice Seeber

And of course, asking on a forum like this one is totally different from
asking via email. In a forum, people choose whether or not to respond, and
you have a good chance of getting some varied and good information,
especially if you show that you are researching as well. In email, if you
don't respond, you appear rude. If you do, you're roped into giving some
kind of assistance. IMO, at least.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

I have no idea what started this, but I agree with Kathy. Asking one

person
how they do something when they are competitors is rude. I don't mind
giving out information as long as I see that the other person is doing

some
sort of research.

You guys know I'm looking for another camera. I did ask what everyone is
using and why they like the cameras. Then I take that information and

test
out said cameras. Before asking though I had two cameras in mind that I
thought could do the trick. Do you know what I found? It's probably
overkill on the cameras I chose and I may not have to spend as much money.
Yeah!

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

gy.com...

Old July 1st 04, 12:19 AM
starlia

On caveat to all the photography stuff...it's not always the camera. Most
of the time it's the photographer. Give me any 35mm and I will show you
wonderful photos. Give one to my MIL and they look like poop.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old July 1st 04, 05:44 AM
Christina Peterson

There are tips and tutorials readily available on photography.
Unfortunately even that is not good enough for me. I figure that gives me
two options. Market my work in person, or pay a photographer. And hope I
eventually will gain enough skill to do my own photography.

I think this is fair.

Tina