Two sided cross stitch

Old March 8th 05, 06:05 PM

Default Two sided cross stitch

Hi all - I usually lurk, but today I received my Keepsake Needlearts
book. In the snips area it states * Two-sided cross stitch looks
exactly the same on the back and front of the fabric. Use it to work
monograms and borders where both sides of the item are visible... This
stitch uses up more thread than ordinary cross stitch.* My question are
they talking about blackwork or regular cross stitch. If they are
talking about regular cross stitch how do you do it? And do you know
any web sites showing it?
Thank-you in advance - Denise

Old March 9th 05, 12:28 AM

Lucretia Borgia wrote:
I'm trying to find Stefania's site where the "correct" method of
reversible cross stitch is shown. Some of these methods don't

produce a
perfect cross stitch on both sides.

No, it's not black work. There actually is a reversible (two-sided)

cross stitch. I'll do some more searching and see what I can come

up with.

Dianne

It's in the classic stitches glossary.

Thanks for the info. I had *never* heard of this. Guess it shows I
don't know as much as I thought. Thanks for the help. Now I have to try
it.
Denise

Old March 9th 05, 02:42 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I saw your post, but this is not the directions I'm looking for.
Further, I didn't find the directions at Classic Stitches to be easy to
follow at all.

Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old March 9th 05, 06:04 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I did some other googling, and it appeared to me that the Classic
Stitches way (again, not easy to follow at all) was similar to those
which also creates a vertical stitch on the back (as well as a cross)
and also a square stitch on the back.

That's what I meant by "correct" and "incorrect". I learned from
Dillmont and had clear directions on my site, which I then gave the
pages to Stefania. But darned if I can find a link! I don't remember
having double stitches on the front. I'll have to go look that up again.

Dianne

Lucretia Borgia wrote:
I saw your post, but this is not the directions I'm looking for.
Further, I didn't find the directions at Classic Stitches to be easy to
follow at all.

Dianne

I used the Classic Stitches method and had a perfect cross on both
sides. I am sure I do not understand what you mean by 'correct' or
'incorrect' in this context.

Old March 9th 05, 06:46 PM
Jan Lennie

try here
http://members.aol.com/hblossomxs/reverx1.html
http://members.aol.com/hblossomxs/reverx2.html
http://www.angolostefania.it/revxs.php
Jan

Old March 9th 05, 08:58 PM
Lucille

I tried doing this stitch and although didn't find it particularly difficult
to follow I would very much like to see the difference in this method and
the one you're talking about so please post it when you can.

I definitely can see where it would be very useful, especially for something
like a fingertip towel when the back should look as neat as possible.

Lucille

Old March 9th 05, 08:59 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Yes, the Blossom ones are not the same in reverse.
Another gal emails me. You got the one, and I'll repeat:
http://www.angolostefania.it/revxs.php

This makes a perfect reversible cross stitch and eliminates double
stitching on the front.

Dianne

Old March 9th 05, 09:03 PM
Lucille

Now I'm definitely confused. The first two from Blossoms do show a vertical
or square stitch on the back, but the third that appears on Stefania's site
looks identical to what Sheena showed from Classic Stitches.

Am I missing something?

Lucille

Old March 9th 05, 11:39 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I couldn't follow Classic Stitches directions, and it appeared there
were two many double stitches. I thought their directions were poor. I
couldn't have learned from them.

That's what I was getting at. Since I couldn't understand them, I felt
the original poster ought to be given a site where the directions were
more clear. And I noticed that other sites gave "incorrect" directions.
I couldn't tell whether Classic Stitches was correct or not.

Dianne