box spring cover - how to?

Old September 7th 03, 01:19 AM
v quan

Default box spring cover - how to?

Need instructions on how to sew or assemble a box spring cover.
Mine is a king size and it's really 2 small box springs under the King-size
mattress but I don't think that would make a big difference.
Store or internet bought covers are $70-100 !! Have to believe I can make it
for much less than that!
Any patterns out there or ideas? I have googled quite a number of times and
can't hit anything on the web.
Thanks!

Old September 7th 03, 04:54 AM

box spring cover - how to?

(v=A0quan)
Need instructions on how to sew or assemble a box spring cover. Mine is
a king size and it's really 2 small box springs under the King-size
mattress but I don't think that would make a big difference. Store or
internet bought covers are $70-100 !! Have to believe I can make it for
much less than that!
Any patterns out there or ideas? I have googled quite a number of times
and can't hit anything on the web. Thanks!
---
I don't think you'll find a pattern for this. If you did manage to,
it would tell you the following: You'll need to measure your box
springs, add seam allowances, and a tiny bit extra so you don't have to
fight to get the cover on the box spring.
I'd put a very long wrap-around zipper on one end, and wrapped down
each long side at least 12 inches or so, so that you can open the case
wide enough to fit it on the box spring without cussing too much.
You can insert welting into each seam, or simplify: forget the
welting and just do a long box strip for each end and each side, join
these, then sew the box strip to front and back pieces.
What sort of fabric will you be using? Ticking? vinyl (please say no)?
Something with a bit of lycra, so that you can form-fit the cover?
Cea (who is finding google searches for printed/screen
printed cotton duck yard goods equally fruitless and frustrating)

Old September 7th 03, 06:03 AM
Valkyrie

My first question would be WHY? I have an old antique (is that a redundant
phrase?LOL) bed and there is about 10-12 inches between the floor and the
rails. A purchased dust ruffle over the box spring is too short and I didn't
feel like making one for twice what I could get one at the store so I put
the dust ruffle across the rails, it now just touched the floor, put the box
spring on top of that, put a purchased fitted sheet that matched the dust
ruffle on the box spring and it gives a nice finished look. If this is your
decorating dilemma maybe this will help solve your problem. Not that I shy
away from home dec sewing projects but if I can buy what I want cheaper than
I can sew it that's what I will do. If all you want to do is cover up the
ticking of your box spring for whatever reason I'd think a fitted sheet in a
matching or coordinating fabric to your bedding would do the trick and much
cheaper and easier, too.

Val