*&%^%@$*&^ Plackets

Old September 1st 03, 05:22 PM
Pat

Default *&%^%@$*&^ Plackets

Put them in BEFORE you sew the side seams.......much simpler that way. Then
sew the side seam and sleeve seam all in one go.

"duh who" wrote in message
Dang these things are tedious, particularly when you screw up and have to
rip them out and start over (I put them on the wrong side). They aren't
hard, just tedious.

Is there an easier way to do sleeves?

Old September 1st 03, 06:38 PM
Kate Dicey

duh who wrote:

Dang these things are tedious, particularly when you screw up and have to
rip them out and start over (I put them on the wrong side). They aren't
hard, just tedious.

Is there an easier way to do sleeves?

Not if you want them to look really smart! Sorry!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old September 1st 03, 08:17 PM
Sarah Dale

"duh who" wrote in message
Dang these things are tedious, particularly when you screw up and have to
rip them out and start over (I put them on the wrong side). They aren't
hard, just tedious.

Yep, I'll second that! Cut out your sleeves, carefully marking which
sleeve if Left and which is right, and what is the front and back of the
sleeve. Then do you cuff opening finish - a placket as you are a guy -
there are a couple more options open if your're a lady - or lazy!. Double
and treble check which way round before you sew - if necessary refer to an
already completed correct shirt. Then sew up the sleeve seams, then put
the cuffs on.

HTh,

Sarah
Old September 2nd 03, 04:50 AM
duh who

"Pat" wrote in message
Put them in BEFORE you sew the side seams.......much simpler that way.

Then
sew the side seam and sleeve seam all in one go.

I don't even have the sleeves on the shirt yet. I find it easier to do all
the placket origami without the sleeve attached.

Old September 2nd 03, 07:04 AM
Sally Holmes

duh who wrote:
I don't even have the sleeves on the shirt yet. I find it easier to
do all the placket origami without the sleeve attached.

You might find gluestick better than pins for holding everything down. Just
regular gluestick that you use for sticking paper works fine - no need for
fancy "fabric" gluesticks. It washes out easily. Good for pockets, too, and
for those appliqued yokes.

Sally H

Old September 2nd 03, 08:13 AM
Kate Dicey

Sally Holmes wrote:

duh who wrote:
I don't even have the sleeves on the shirt yet. I find it easier to
do all the placket origami without the sleeve attached.

You might find gluestick better than pins for holding everything down. Just
regular gluestick that you use for sticking paper works fine - no need for
fancy "fabric" gluesticks. It washes out easily. Good for pockets, too, and
for those appliqued yokes.

Sally H

Magic Tape works a treat, too. I am a big fan of it this week, even if
it IS expensive!

Old September 2nd 03, 03:38 PM
duh who

"Sally Holmes" wrote in message
duh who wrote:
I don't even have the sleeves on the shirt yet. I find it easier to
do all the placket origami without the sleeve attached.

You might find gluestick better than pins for holding everything down.

Just
regular gluestick that you use for sticking paper works fine - no need for
fancy "fabric" gluesticks. It washes out easily. Good for pockets, too,

and
for those appliqued yokes.

I've been using Tacky Glue, but its a little messy.

Old September 2nd 03, 09:58 PM
joy beeson

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 18:38:18 +0100, Kate Dicey
wrote:

Not if you want them to look really smart! Sorry!

That was my first impulse, then I realized we were talking
about shirt sleeves -- an entirely different critter from
dress sleeves.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange

Old September 2nd 03, 11:55 PM
Trish Brown

G'day duh who!

I was thinking: why don't you get hold of a bit of calico (muslin?) and do a
practice placket? I won't argue with you: they *are* hard to do, especially the
first time. But once you've got a clear idea of *why* they're constructed the
way they are, it makes them a lot easier.

If you patiently work a practice piece, making sure you keep all your seam
allowances even and maintain the folds by pinning (or, better, basting) them,
you ought to get a much better understanding of what to do.

Also, it is a good bit easier to make the placket before sewing the sleeve seam.
At least you can have everything lying flat and not have to winkle bits of
yourself into the feed dogs as you sew! Once you've made a really, truly man's
placket, you *will* sit back and pat yourself on the back! They look *so* good
and really give a professional finish to your shirt!

My only other tip would be to ensure you do all the pressing recommended in your
pattern. Pressing the garment as you construct it makes *such* a difference!

Best of luck! ;-D
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old September 3rd 03, 03:14 AM
bogus address

I was thinking: why don't you get hold of a bit of calico (muslin?)
and do a practice placket? I won't argue with you: they *are* hard
to do, especially the first time.

Let not the creaking of shoes nor the rustling of
silks betray thy poor heart to woman: keep thy foot
out of brothels, thy hand out of plackets, thy pen
from lenders' books, and defy the foul fiend.

- Edgar in _King Lear_, Act III, scene iv

I take it he isn't talking about plackets in sleeves...

There is also a 17th century song "Joan's Placket is Torn" (goes
to a tune much like "The Cock of the North" a.k.a. "Auntie Mary Hid
a Canary Up the Leg of her Drawers") and I think we can assume the
placket that met with said mishap was in a different place too.

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.