Shocking the employees at Jo-Ann's

Old September 1st 03, 12:37 AM
duh who

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:29:45 +0000, duh who wrote:
And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.
Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far,

and
then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)

Dwight,

LOL! I know how you feel - perhaps more so (as tailoring is mostly
considered a mans job) as I am a female engineer - I have had this
attitude in the past at work.

You'd like the sewing machine dealers I found last week - run by a bloke
with 2 lady assistants. And he demonstrated one of the machines for me!

Sounds like where I bought my machine. The Sewing Machine Place (or
something like that), in Walnut Creek, CA.

Old September 1st 03, 12:39 AM
duh who

"SewStorm" wrote in message
Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far,

and
then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)

Hey, Dwight, just remember that it's just one individual who is

prejudiced, not
every single person. And you can change their attitudes, one person at a

time.

Actually, I was kidding about the "hard life". I usually get strokes for
doing my own shirts. It just surprises some people. Hell, it surprises me
sometimes.

None of us are prejudiced against you; we know you're not the only man who
sews. There are quite a number of guys who post on these newsgroups, and

we
thoroughly enjoy hearing from all of you!

In my experience with interviewing sewing enthusiasts all over the US,

Canada,
and the UK, I've found that somewhere between 5 and 10% of sewing people

are
male.

Yeah, but we get paid 40% less. ;-)

Old September 1st 03, 12:48 AM
duh who

"Irene" wrote in message
om...
"duh who" wrote in message

Hm. From your title I though you might have been asking for help with
your underwear while you were wearing it--that might be called

My lips are sealed.

"shocking". My experience of shopping and working in fabric stores
leads me to believe that if you give it enough time, every form of
craziness will walk through that door...The one that really freaked me
was the story about people in Chinatown stuffing store cats (mouse
patrols) into their shopping bags to take home.

Well, I did go for some felt the other day, and said "You'll never guess
what this is for." I was making a padded velcro wrap for one of the straps
on my cajun accordion.

So feel free to teach that employee a lesson, sort of along the lines

of asking for help to buy tencel "for underwear". You never know--I
went into a store for pants elastic, and came home with yards of
shocking pink with "Victoria's Secret" woven into every inch, 5 yards
for a dollar...

Not very secret when you've got that much of it in one place, is it? ;-)

Oh, and about buying tencel--I have had consistent luck ONLY at most
locations of Fabricland/Fabricville chain in Canada. Decent quality,
sometimes on sale, and good colours.

Do they have a website?

Maybe you need to think about a trip...

Hell, I"ve been thinking about moving to Canada. It would be nice to have
health insurance.

Old September 1st 03, 03:07 AM
duh who

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
duh who wrote:

Sounds like where I bought my machine. The Sewing Machine Place (or
something like that), in Walnut Creek, CA.

YES!!!!! YES!!!!!! YES!!!!! My absolutely FAVORITE sewing machine
store (I live in the next city over).

I bought this GORGEOUS 1970s-ish New Home machine (a beauty that runs
like a top and sews like a dream) there for $129 -- it was my Mother's
Day gift to myself 2-3 years ago and it was worth every penny. They are
absolutely GREAT people and appreciate old machines as well as new ones.

I remember you now. We chatted last year some time. I was living in El
Cerrito. I've moved to Petaluma.

Old September 1st 03, 03:08 PM
SewStorm

You never know--I
went into a store for pants elastic, and came home with yards of
shocking pink with "Victoria's Secret" woven into every inch, 5 yards
for a dollar...

Where was this, Irene? I'd love to be able to get their elastic! And I was told
by a Victoria's Secret employee that they "never" allowed their trademarked
parts to be sold to the public!

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old September 2nd 03, 03:23 PM
Charlie

My local fabric shop is run by a bloke, he deals with the machines and the
ladys deal with the fabric and knitting etc! Terribly nice bloke. I feel
bad though, because he took about an hour demonstrating the machine to me,
only for me to buy it cheaper off the net!

Charlie.

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:29:45 +0000, duh who wrote:
And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.
Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far,

and
then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)

Dwight,

LOL! I know how you feel - perhaps more so (as tailoring is mostly
considered a mans job) as I am a female engineer - I have had this
attitude in the past at work.

You'd like the sewing machine dealers I found last week - run by a bloke
with 2 lady assistants. And he demonstrated one of the machines for me!

Sarah

Old September 2nd 03, 03:31 PM
SewStorm

I feel
bad though, because he took about an hour demonstrating the machine to me,
only for me to buy it cheaper off the net!

That's too bad, Charlie. If we don't support our local dealers and fabric
stores we won't have any more when we need them.

I wish we could find a way to keep all these local independent stores in
business without going broke ourselves!!
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old September 2nd 03, 07:37 PM
Charlie

Yeah, it's a shame, but when theres somewhere else that sells it £200
cheaper, it's not something you can sniff at! The only thing it didn't come
with were classes. I could sign up for them now for £30, but I learnt
everything the machine can do from the manual - it's a really thick one!

Charlie.

Old September 2nd 03, 07:42 PM
Charlie

Oh god, that's awful! BF had a similar problem a while ago in the shop but
with age. He works in a hardware shop and knows *loads* about power tools.
He was serving some stupid woman who was buying power tools for her husbands
birthday. He was trying to convince her that the one she'd chosen wouldn't
so the jobs she's said he wanted it for and that she needed to either buy
the next better model or better, to buy him gift vouchers (like buying a
sewing machine for someone really). She was having none of it so she said
"let's see what your collegue thinks shall we?" and asked the other guy
working there who admits he knows nothing about the power tools. Heh.
Shebought the cheap one. And came back the next day with her husband and
exchanged it for the next model up.

Some people think age = knowledge apparently.

Charlie.

"IMS" wrote in message
My daughter faces the same prejudice, only the opposite type - she is a
computer network geek and a race car driver. The last time she went in
to the automotive shop with her dad to get brake pads and oil filters,
she asked the questions but they addressed the answers to her dad! This
annoys her no end.

Stereotypes go both ways, and for those of you who march to a different
drummer than the norm, it is difficult but rewarding! Particularly as
you are enlightening those who wear "blinders" to what either sex
should or should not do, wear, behave, etc. You have accepted the
challenge with dignity and grace. Sew On!!

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:29:45 GMT, "duh who" wrote:

I went into Jo-Ann's tonight to get some interfacing. I'm not sure how the
woman got the idea that I was "repairing" my own shirts. When I said
"Repair? I make them from scratch."

Old September 2nd 03, 09:56 PM

Charlie wrote:
Yeah, it's a shame, but when theres somewhere else that sells it £200
cheaper, it's not something you can sniff at! The only thing it didn't come
with were classes.

The reason the store sells them for more is because they take the time
to demonstrate it for you.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa