Is Design School Worth it?

Old August 22nd 03, 06:21 PM
Anna Boulay

Default Is Design School Worth it?

Has anyone gone to a clothing design school? Is it worth it? I want to
design clothes, but i'm not sure where to go. I'm doing lots of
research on schools but I also am looking for people with first hand
experience attending a shool of that type, or even attending a school
I am considering. My list of schools consists of: FIT in NY, Illinois
Art Institute in Chicago, FIDM in LA, Central Saint Martin in London,
Fashion Instituto Europeo di Design in Madrid. Fashion is my passion.
If anyone has any advice, positive or negative, I would love to hear
opinions of design schools dos and don't. Thanks for your time.

Anna
Old August 22nd 03, 07:05 PM
Valkyrie

"Anna Boulay" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone gone to a clothing design school? Is it worth it? I want to
design clothes, but i'm not sure where to go. I'm doing lots of
research on schools but I also am looking for people with first hand
experience attending a shool of that type, or even attending a school
I am considering. My list of schools consists of: FIT in NY, Illinois
Art Institute in Chicago, FIDM in LA, Central Saint Martin in London,
Fashion Instituto Europeo di Design in Madrid. Fashion is my passion.
If anyone has any advice, positive or negative, I would love to hear
opinions of design schools dos and don't. Thanks for your time.

Anna

I can't answer your question but maybe this web site would be of some
help....

http://www.fashionschoolreview.com/

Val

Old August 23rd 03, 03:36 AM
Geri

Anna,
My daughter's friend is currently enrolled in the fashion design program
at the International Academy of Design and Technology here in Chicago. The
girl didn't know her way around a sewing machine at first....I had to show
her before school started --two years ago. She loved to 'draw' clothes but
that was it. School was not as easy as some thought...there's a lot to
it...patternmaking. draping , adjusting, fabrics...and now she has become so
savvy on the subject she is really enjoying it. They are also taught the
business end of designing which will determine whether you make it or break
it into the business. I say YES...go for it.
Mother Bones

Old September 3rd 03, 11:27 PM
Maxixe

That's what I did as a teenager, drew lots of fashion style drawings
and my art teacher - who's mother had worked in a couture house in
Europe kept telling me that I should go to design school because I
would be really good but no one mentioned sewing! Here I am in my 30's
just learning to sew and I love it but I have no aspirations of doing
it professionally. I just like to make simple things for the house and
my daughter. My sister did want to be a fashion designer but she had
no interest at all in sewing.

Ithink technical skill and creativity go hand in hand. I have a lot of
respect for seamstresses/tailors. It is so much harder than anyone
gives them credit for! I really have an appreciation for clothing now.

Old September 8th 03, 08:31 PM
Lorrie

I too loved to dream about clothes and fashion and attended a four year
college and received a BA in fashion design, that was 19 years ago. The sad
truth is there are very few jobs to be had in this field, unless you live
on the East coast or almost anywhere in Asia. The computers and software
that are so prevalent in the industry today were just beginning to be used
when I left school so unfortunately, my degree is almost useless. I would
highly recommend to anyone thinking of entering this field today to double
major in marketing or business, industrial engineering or textiles to make
yourself more marketable. It's wonderful when you can love your work but
you need opportunities to get a job.
om...