Textile manufacturing

Old January 21st 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
informat

Default Textile manufacturing

Textile manufacturing

Textile manufacturing is one of the oldest human industries. The
oldest known textiles date back to about B.C. In order to make
textiles, the first requirement is a source of fiber from which a yarn
can be made, primarily by spinning. The yarn is processed by knitting
or weaving, which turns yarn into cloth. The machine used for weaving
is the loom. For decoration, the process of coloring yarn or the
finished material is dyeing. Typical textile processing includes
stages yarn formation, fabric formation, wet processing, and
fabrication. Visit http://textiless.50webs.com/ to read
more.
Old January 21st 09, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Barbara[_4_]

Default Textile manufacturing (off topic a little bit)

informat wrote:
Textile manufacturing

Textile manufacturing is one of the oldest human industries. The
oldest known textiles date back to about B.C. In order to make
textiles, the first requirement is a source of fiber from which a yarn
can be made, primarily by spinning. The yarn is processed by knitting
or weaving, which turns yarn into cloth. The machine used for weaving
is the loom. For decoration, the process of coloring yarn or the
finished material is dyeing. Typical textile processing includes
stages yarn formation, fabric formation, wet processing, and
fabrication. Visit http://textiless.50webs.com/ to read
more.

Last year we had a textile mill close down the road from here.(Elizabeth
City, NC,USA)It was 108 years in business. At one time I think it
employed over 300 people. I think we are losing our talents to
computers. Don't get me wrong computers are great. I have a degree in
computer sciences. But we rely too much on them. We are losing the human
element.
The information above was great to read.
Enjoyed it a lot
Barbara
Old January 22nd 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

Factoids from a weaver:
textiles go back to about 27,000 BC, when the first impressions of a
woven net were pressed into a clay pot. Looms go back to before 7000
BC, the production of silk goes back to before 2000 BC.