Problem with Machine Applique

Old November 5th 09, 01:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Liz Megerle

Default Problem with Machine Applique

That's perfect! Besides, doesn't the spider silk come out of its hind
end? Anatomical correctness, y'know...
Liz

Bev in TX wrote:
Thanks for all of the suggestions :-).

I looked under very bright light and still cannot see the threads to
cut on the backside. I used a very dense, narrow satin stitch and I
just cannot see (of course it probably also has something to do with
the fact that I just don't see as well as I used to). I widened the
satin stitch after the spider problem and I am able to see the
stitches on what I did later.

I am sending the quilt to my DSIL to be quilted on her long arm, which
is in AZ. She is going to deliver it to my DS, who is in CA. So I
will not be able to make any adjustments after the top is completed
and sent of to her.

I checked the eye placement by just laying the button eyes on the
bottom, rather than on the top, as Jeanne suggested and I think it
looks rather well that way. In fact my DH wandered in and, without me
telling him what I was doing, he exclaimed that the eyes belong there
instead of on top. So, thanks for a fix that actually looks better
than the original :-). You can see a picture of that (buttons are not
sewn down yet), in my webshots folder. The flash washed out the
color, but you can still see how the eyes look down there :-).
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...57527182mGOzpr

I'm going to zigzag over the problem area -- just lightly -- and then
sew on the eye buttons.

Thanks again!
Bev in TX

Old November 5th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

That really is a great solution; and the eyes do look right where they
are now! He's just climbing down from his web, instead of up into it

..
In message
, Bev
in TX writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 5th 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

Sometimes the best solution is an easy one - altho it takes someone
special to come up with the idea! Your spider looks great now!

Allison
Patti wrote:
That really is a great solution; and the eyes do look right where they
are now! He's just climbing down from his web, instead of up into it g
.
In message
, Bev
in TX writes

Old November 7th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

On Nov 5, 6:53*am, Bev in TX wrote:
I'm going to zigzag over the problem area -- just lightly -- and then
sew on the eye buttons.

Before I sewed on those buttons, my DH questioned my putting buttons
on the quilt at all. So, I called my DS and asked her whether that
would be okay. Because she has a medical problem with her legs, she
does not want any chance of laying on a button, no matter how flat
they are. So, I am now trying to find substitutions for the cat, bird
and spider eyes.

Bev in TX

Old November 7th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Bev try making some fabric "buttons". Draw around the button on a
piece of fabric, wrong side. Layer with interfacing, and another layer
of fabric. sew around. Cut slit, only in single layer of fabric. Trim
edge close to stitching, but not tooo close. Turn, press and attach as
a button.
May take some practice to turn easily. Or you could layer with right
sides out and satin stitch around the edge with matching thread.
Depends on look you want.
Have fun.
Pati, in Phx.

Old November 7th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Try felt Bev. You can put two layers of different colours to make they
eyes even more realistic. I don't know about washing though?
..
In message
, Bev
in TX writes

Old November 7th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Some of the imitation suedes don't fray. You could cut out the eyes and use
a tiny dab of permanent fabric glue to hold them in place. (Even WalMart
will give you an inch of fabric for free- to match with whatever. Perhaps
you could get a free inch of each of the colors you needed?) Good luck with
finding a solution.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old November 7th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Leslie& The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
Some of the imitation suedes don't fray. You could cut out the eyes and
use a tiny dab of permanent fabric glue to hold them in place. (Even
WalMart will give you an inch of fabric for free- to match with
whatever. Perhaps you could get a free inch of each of the colors you
needed?) Good luck with finding a solution.

Or felt or polar fleece? Both are soft with minimal fraying.

Lizzy
Old November 10th 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

On Nov 7, 10:07*am, Bev in TX wrote:
...*So, I am now trying to find substitutions for the cat, bird and spider eyes.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm also looking into doing machine
embroidered eyes. I may sew them out on organdy, faux suede or felt
(artificial only -- my DS is allergic to wool), and then applique the
finished products onto the existing applique. I have Embird, but I've
never used it for anything other than resizing and changing thread
colors. I'm trying to learn something about the other parts of it.
I was able to take an existing circle in Embird Studio, make it
smaller and sewed it out on quilting weight cotton. I am having a bit
of a problem a stray thread popping up with the tiny outside satin
stitch.

I looked up faux suedes on-line, and thus far I only found one that
does not ravel (Sensude). I'd appreciate any pointers to other non-
raveling faux suedes.

Bev in TX

Old November 10th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

There's UltraSuede, but it is quite expensive and you need only a very
small amount -- probably less than anything you can buy online. I've
also seen some suede-looking knits in stores like JoAnn's and Hancock
Fabrics, and the knits wouldn't ravel.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html