Sweater progress

Old February 15th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Default Sweater progress

On Feb 15, 2:56*am, (Richard Eney) wrote:
In article ,
Samantha Hill - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

Wow, I am really pleased with how fast this sweater is going (for a
reminder, I used the sweater calculator from knittingfool.com to create
a drop-sleeve gansey pattern and am knitting with two strands of
worsted, one black and one tan, creating a nice random marled look).

It sounds nice and warm. *I once knitted a double strand using white
and lemon yellow in seed stitch, and I liked the effect very much.

I am hoping to get this thing done before the very cold weather is past,
but since it seems like spring is already dawning on Northern
California, I might not.

After this, I want to knit a similar sweater only with worsted cotton to
handle warmer weather. *Not sure if I will do double-stranded or
single-stranded. *Will have to do a swatch to be sure.

Double stranded worsted cotton? *That'll work up fast but it'll weigh a
ton! *If you have a swatch of the wool double strand, knit a swatch the
same size and weigh them, and consider how much weight you want to wear.

=Tamar

As usual your point is a very good point Tamar ,,, but Samantha maybe
will make some lace = knit with some rows of enlarged st and or rows
of vertical threads insted of stitch she might have less weight ,,,
mirjam
Old February 15th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Feb 15, 6:41*am, wrote:
[...]

mirjam- Hide quoted text -

Ps Samamtha it occured to me you could knit your cotton sweater with 1
regular cotton thread , and for EFFECT use perle embroidery thread in
another color , it will add other colored dots , but will no add mucch
to the weight ,,, i have done that !!!!!
mirjam
Old February 17th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Feb 13, 9:28*am, Samantha Hill - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:
Wow, I am really pleased with how fast this sweater is going (for a
reminder, I used the sweater calculator from knittingfool.com to create
a drop-sleeve gansey pattern and am knitting with two strands of
worsted, one black and one tan, creating a nice random marled look).

I figured out how to do the semi-set-in (or whatever they are called)
sleeves thanks to the great instrux posted here. *I have the entire back
knitted and the front knitted up to the point where I have to split for
the neck opening.

I am chuckling at this lovely marled look, because I am the only sibling
in my family who can cook without being a slave to a recipe, and there
have been times when I have made something like "throw whatever is in
the fridge that looks good into the pot stew" types of dishes only to be
asked by one or the other of my sisters for the recipe, which, of
course, I cannot give, so I look at the random color spots on this
sweater and chuckle, wondering whether, if one of them knitted the way
they cooked, they would ask for the chart to get that lovely random
pattern. *ROTFL.

I am hoping to get this thing done before the very cold weather is past,
but since it seems like spring is already dawning on Northern
California, I might not.

After this, I want to knit a similar sweater only with worsted cotton to
handle warmer weather. *Not sure if I will do double-stranded or
single-stranded. *Will have to do a swatch to be sure.

I knitted only one sweater in cotton, and I don't wear it. I just
don't
like the feel of it. And now I am knitting socks in cotton, and I am
really not sure if I will wear them or not. Sigh!

Higs,
Katherine
Old February 17th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Feb 13, 2:28*pm, "LauraJ" wrote:
It sounds lovely! *And if it is too warm for you to wear, you can always
send it to me - we are still getting snow and gross grey wet weather. *I am
sure some of the Canadians in the group would make the same [very generous,
of course] offer!

Oh, yes, please! I am in Montreal, where the weather network is
claiming
that the city has not had this much snow since the 1940s! So extra
sweaters would definitely be appreciated! g

Higs,
Katherine
Old February 18th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

Katherine- Hide quoted text -

I knitted several in cotton , but preffer cotton in crochet ,, still
it depends whic cottons , there are some variations now and some knit
better than others, i also knitted from Cotton ribbons [ that looks
like shoe laces] it is wider and can be knitted in wonderful open
work ,,, mirjam
Old February 18th 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Katherine wrote:

I knitted only one sweater in cotton, and I don't wear it. I just
don't
like the feel of it. And now I am knitting socks in cotton, and I am
really not sure if I will wear them or not. Sigh!

I had a cotton sweater a number of years back that I loved for chilly
mornings in otherwise warmer weather (like we get here in northern
California). Granted, it was knit of something more like sportweight
yarn than worsted weight, but it was still perfectly fine.
Old February 19th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Feb 18, 7:58*am, Samantha Hill - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:
Katherine wrote:

I knitted only one sweater in cotton, and I don't wear it. I just
don't
like the feel of it. And now I am knitting socks in cotton, and I am
really not sure if I will wear them or not. Sigh!

I had a cotton sweater a number of years back that I loved for chilly
mornings in otherwise warmer weather (like we get here in northern
California). *Granted, it was knit of something more like sportweight
yarn than worsted weight, but it was still perfectly fine.

Now adays one can get here [ and we are not the most Blessed Threads
country ] some nice cottons ,, knittable with 4-5 mm
mirjam

China cashmere sweater, merino sweater, etc. manufacturer andexporter Sweater manufacturer Yarn 0 January 29th 08 09:21 AM
China cashmere sweater, merino sweater, etc. manufacturer andexporter Sweater manufacturer Yarn 0 January 8th 08 06:39 AM
progress marbles_2 Quilting 6 August 20th 05 05:11 PM
New Progress Pic Darla Needlework 0 June 3rd 05 03:17 PM
Progress! Sandy Foster Quilting 50 July 31st 03 06:25 PM