Firehouse Angel Framing Status

Old June 2nd 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Firehouse Angel Framing Status

Hi Guys,
I got my first estimate for framing of the piece this morning --
went with one of my needlework friends so that I had more input :-).
This is an independent framer so there's no coupon, etc. available but
she quoted a discount anyway. I have photos of the piece with the
corner mats and frame but I can't get the *$&%^%%$ scanner program to
save the stuff I scanned! Once I get the machinery working properly
I'll scan the photos and set up a special Firehouse Angel album at
Webshots. DIANNE -- If you want me to send the photos to you for
inclusion in the website I can do that too. It's up to you so e-mail
me, OK?
Anyway -- a description. The area of the needlework that will be
shown is 13" wide x 17" long -- this allows about 1" beyond that actual
stitching. The finished size will be 24.5" x 28.5". There is a very
pale yellow inner mat -- 1/4" showing (to highlight the wing tips), next
is a narrow gold (coordinates with the frame) fillet that is very simple
-- no curlicues, etc. The second mat is a 3" pale rosy cocoa textured
suede (the photo sort of washes it out) that complements the face of the
Angel nicely. Last is the frame itself. It's one of those that has a
reddish base with heavy gold overlay -- not at all shiny. It has some
scrollwork curvy stuff that reflects the curves of the wings but is NOT
all "squirrley" and gorpy. Of course, I had the woman quote
conservation glass on the piece and ALL materials will be conservation
quality. Oh -- add in spacers too -- want to make sure the beadwork
doesn't come anywhere near the glass and the cost is minimal.
The frame is about 2" wide and I KNOW that sounds too small for the
piece but it's not. It is one of those frames that curves up a lot (the
profile measurement is probably 2" also) so it has a lot of "oomph" to
it. If anyone wants to take a look at it, it's Larson Juhl #559WG. We
tried other, larger frames but all you saw was the frame. None of us
like any of the larger frames -- odd when you remember that for me "more
is always better" -- LOL!
Now for the sticker shock -- which isn't all that bad considering
all the stuff included -- quoted price is $431.23. Add at least another
$70.00 for shipping to NY and packaging supplies and I'll need to have
about $500.00. The piece looked SO lovely that if I knew we could raise
that much money, I would have told her it's a done deal! Currently,
with donations in hand and one BIG one that is on it's way to me, we
have about $250.00 so we are half way there.
I WILL go to Michael's and Hobby Lobby early next week and see what
type of estimate they give me. I have an appointment for 3:30pm today
with another independent framer and I will post again with that info.
Also, I want to be the one to do the lacing & pinning and I'm not sure
that the chain stores will agree to that. To MOI, that is one of *the*
most important parts of framing needlework properly! Susan, the lady I
met with this AM, has no problem with me doing the lacing and pinning.
She doesn't lace -- just pins but I think a piece this size needs both.
She will provide the foam core, etc. and that's been included in the
estimate.
OK -- that's all for now. I'll post again once I return from this
second appointment -- and I'll make sure to get photos. Hopefully, DH
will get the *&(#%*($#^ scanner working so that I can actually SAVE the
stuff I scan -- LOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old June 2nd 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tia Mary wrote:
There is a very
pale yellow inner mat -- 1/4" showing (to highlight the wing tips), next
is a narrow gold (coordinates with the frame) fillet that is very simple
-- no curlicues, etc. The second mat is a 3" pale rosy cocoa textured
suede (the photo sort of washes it out) that complements the face of the
Angel nicely. Last is the frame itself. It's one of those that has a
reddish base with heavy gold overlay -- not at all shiny. It has some
scrollwork curvy stuff that reflects the curves of the wings

Sounds great, Tia Mary!

The frame is about 2" wide and I KNOW that sounds too small for the
piece but it's not.

I don't think it sounds small at all. I guess I generally don't like
the big, heavy frames-- they always seem to overpower the picture.

Now for the sticker shock -- which isn't all that bad considering
all the stuff included -- quoted price is $431.23.

Sounds about right for things I've framed that size. And I don't
really think you'd need the spacers, since you have 2 mats and the
fillet. That should pull the glass away from the beading and Wisper
enough.

Also, I want to be the one to do the lacing & pinning and I'm not sure
that the chain stores will agree to that.

The Michael's here didn't have any problem with me doing my own lacing.

Joan

Old June 3rd 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Sounds lovely, and the price sounds about right for what you're doing.
AC Moore and Micheal's both allow me to do my own pinning and in fact
have complimented me on it, so don't worry about that. Can't wait to
see the final piece.
Old June 3rd 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tia Mary wrote:
Hi Guys,
I got my first estimate for framing of the piece this morning -- went
with one of my needlework friends so that I had more input :-). This is
an independent framer so there's no coupon, etc. available but she
quoted a discount anyway. I have photos of the piece with the corner
mats and frame but I can't get the *$&%^%%$ scanner program to save the
stuff I scanned! ..........

Hi Guys,
OK -- DH had to reload all the scanner software to get the
()%(*&#*&$ thing to work but he did it :-). I have added a new album to
my Webshots page -- appropriately titles Firehouse Angel Framing or
something like that. The 2 photos of the stuff for the first estimate
are there. The colors of the mats are considerably lighter than they
really are so take that into consideration.

I had the 3:30 appointment and got quotes for two different options.
Now, these quotes are a LOT less money for several reasons. First is
that the woman runs her framing business out of her home so she has
minimal overhead. Second is that the framing is much less involved than
the first estimate.. No pictures yet but I'll try to see what can be
done about that. OK -- here's the first option:
1.) Large frame with NO MAT -- done like the MLI chart photo.
Again, the area of the Angel that is shown will be 13" x 17". The frame
is about 2.5" wide and heavy. It has a moderately ornate (all that
curvy stuff)top section done in a matte gold. The center section is
very curved and is a dark brownish. The bottom section is a narrow band
of more curvy matte gold. Having the matte gold right next to the
fabric was very nice and the center brownish section highlighted the
hair on the Angel. This option is $80.67 and while it IS quite nice, I
think it is too "minimalist" to really do the piece justice. Also
remember that I have received money from only four people and there were
at least 14 people who have said they want to contribute so I'm sure we
will have a fair amount of money over the cost of this option.
2.) This option is for a frame and one mat. The frame is 2" wide
and the base color is a grayish blue with a latticework overlay done in
gold dry brush. There is a narrow flowery looking border along the top
and bottom in the same dry brushed gold -- maybe 1/8" wide I think.
The mat is a stunning shimmery, glimmery white that looks pretty much
like what you would expect an angel's wings to look like! It is really
a pretty mat and is perfect with the frame -- whose base color is very
close to the color of the fabric! The mat width will be 3.5". The cost
for this option is $101.54. Again, I fairly sure we will have more
money than we would need if we used this option.

OK -- so I will go to Hobby Lobby and another independent B&M framer
(across the street from HL) either this weekend or on Monday. On
Tuesday, two of my needlework friends will go with me to Michael's to
get an estimate from them. I'm trying to get as many estimates ASAP
because I go to Lizard Land for 2 weeks on Wednesday. DD & DSonIL need
me there to help him get adjusted to his new VRT program and generally
smack him upside the head and whip his sorry butt into shape again :-)!
I think a time limit needs to be set for making donations. I was
thinking that if people had their donations to me by the end of June,
that would leave enough time to choose the framing option we wanted AND
had sufficient money for. If the framing was completed by the end of
July, that would give me plenty of time to get the piece packaged
properly and shipped off to our presentation volunteers (Heather & Linda
T.) in time for presentation before 9/11.
So -- any thoughts, recommendations, etc. from anyone? Can you
think of something I have forgotten to take into consideration? OK --
that's all for now. I'll post again when & if I get photos of these
last two framing options. CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old June 3rd 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Address for the webshots page?

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old June 3rd 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Dr. Brat wrote:
Address for the webshots page?

Elizabeth

It *should* be part of my siggy. Let me post this and then make sure
it's there. If not, I will post the link. CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old June 3rd 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
Dr. Brat wrote:
Address for the webshots page?

Elizabeth

It *should* be part of my siggy. Let me post this and then make sure
it's there. If not, I will post the link. CiaoMeow ^;;^

It's not there. Please post it.

Old June 3rd 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tia Mary wrote:

Dr. Brat wrote:

Address for the webshots page?

Elizabeth

It *should* be part of my siggy. Let me post this and then make sure
it's there. If not, I will post the link. CiaoMeow ^;;^

HMMM -- it's not there so I will try again. I will copy and past the
siggy line so you might wee it twice......

PAX, Tia Mary /\____/\ © ^.,.^
= 0.0 = ( )~~~~~
their WHISKERS!
NOTHING is complete without a few cat hairs -- they make the best
decorative fibers!
Tia Mary's Webshots http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Old June 3rd 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
Tia Mary wrote:

Dr. Brat wrote:

Address for the webshots page?

Elizabeth

It *should* be part of my siggy. Let me post this and then make sure
it's there. If not, I will post the link. CiaoMeow ^;;^

HMMM -- it's not there so I will try again. I will copy and past the
siggy line so you might wee it twice......

PAX, Tia Mary /\____/\ © ^.,.^
= 0.0 = ( )~~~~~
their WHISKERS!
NOTHING is complete without a few cat hairs -- they make the best
decorative fibers!
Tia Mary's Webshots http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Got it~!! Will you be able to post pics of the other options?

Old June 3rd 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Lucille wrote:
Got it~!! Will you be able to post pics of the other options?

If I can remember to take the *$(*%^ digital camera with me, I'll
have photos! As for the siggy file -- I don't know WHAT happened, I
dumped everything and started over 2 or 3 time but it never worked. I
finally just did a copy & paste and went on to other things. I drug DH
up her to tell me why I got no siggy file -- just "Greek" gibberish. I
again wrote a new siggy file and told the machine to use the it. When I
clicked on the reply button to your post, VOILA -- there's the OLD siggy
file -- VBS!! Sometimes I truly computers -- LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^
--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!