chiffon--aaargh!

Old September 7th 04, 09:45 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

"AmazeR" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:33:27 -0700, Cynthia Spilsted wrote:

I have had nothing but trouble with Vogue patterns because so seldom are
people the same dimensions as the pattern and those patterns do not lend
themselves to adjustments......snip
"Jenn Ridley" wrote in message
"Sew-Sew Lady" wrote:

First, and foremost, my condolences on being given a Vogue pattern.

I love Vogue patterns. they work just like they're supposed to. I've
never had a problem with a Vogue pattern ...snip
jenn
--
Jenn Ridley :

I use Vogue, Simplicity, (used to use Style until they discontinued) and
Butterick. I love them all! But then I'm a size 10-12 - only thing is I
have to shorten them all because I'm 5'4" tall!

Mavis

Mavis:
You are one of the lucky ones: sounds like your bust is in the 'standard'
place, shoulders are average and your back waist length is close to the
'norm'......congratulations! My patterns of choice are Kwik Sew (but it's
limited in styles) and Burda, followed by Simplicity. I'll use them all,
but I ignore the fabric requirement of McCalls (where they get those amounts
is beyond me!); the instructions for Butterick (let's see - how can we make
a simple step convoluted...?); and Vogue only for the design - if I'm
desperate!
Cynthia

Old September 7th 04, 11:12 PM
AmazeR

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:45:35 -0700, Cynthia Spilsted wrote:

Mavis:
You are one of the lucky ones: sounds like your bust is in the 'standard'
place, shoulders are average and your back waist length is close to the
'norm'......congratulations! My patterns of choice are Kwik Sew (but it's
limited in styles) and Burda, followed by Simplicity. I'll use them all,
but I ignore the fabric requirement of McCalls (where they get those amounts
is beyond me!); the instructions for Butterick (let's see - how can we make
a simple step convoluted...?); and Vogue only for the design - if I'm
desperate!
Cynthia

Well, my bust is in the 'standard' place! - at least I think it is!!
LOL.... But I am a D cup, so do have to allow a bit extra for that.
That is usually the only adjustment I need to make though. I never even
thought about it before, really....

Mavis

Old September 8th 04, 02:05 AM
Arri London

lady sylvre wrote:

the darling daughter has left only two weeks in which to sew a dress for a
wedding she will be in. is is a vogue pattern (oh, pewp), and it is
essentially a dress and overdress. problem is, the fabric for the overdress
is an extremely fine chiffon. and it has a ruffle, of the same fabric, that
follows from the shoulder, across the front, and down to the hem. darling
daughter has presented me with fabric including scraps of chiffon with
which to practice, and her angst,
neatly packaged together. hints, folks--i need hints! i no longer have a
serger, and am afraid the old singer will not handle the chiffon without
eating it. somewhere, i have a janome 5000...not sure if it will be up to
the task, either. any suggestions? help me help this kid make a ruffle
without either of us losing our minds. (can't afford to lose mind--i have
to make the cake for this shindig, too. bride's mom is a professional
costumer in new york--broadway, rockettes, etc....i can feel my confidence
slipping. or maybe it is just flopsweat...

admom

Here are some hints:
http://www.janome.com/technique_show.php?technique=27

There are some things that are extra work but help: starch the fabric if
it's washable to give it more body. It will need to be washed out
afterwards though.
Use a little tissue under the chiffon when starting a seam.
Lessen both the presser foot tension and the thread tension. Use a
dual-feed foot if you have one.

Good luck!
Old September 8th 04, 02:28 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

"AmazeR" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:45:35 -0700, Cynthia Spilsted wrote:

Mavis:
You are one of the lucky ones: sounds like your bust is in the

'standard'
place, shoulders are average...snip
Cynthia

Well, my bust is in the 'standard' place! - at least I think it is!!
LOL.... But I am a D cup, so do have to allow a bit extra for that.
That is usually the only adjustment I need to make though. I never even
thought about it before, really....

Mavis

Smarty pants!
Yes, you are lucky - I come from a family of fairly high-busted women
(small, but high) so many outfits that are fitted do not! That, combined
with a long waist and broad shoulders make many styles difficult to work
with. (God has a warped sense of humour: broad shoulders and nothing to
hang off of them - whereas I have a friend with very narrow shoulders who
wears a DD!) Vogue styles tend to have a lot of fiddley details 'above the
waist' and that makes alterations a pain - starting with their fondness for
shoulder pads on down....
Cynthia

Old September 8th 04, 05:02 PM
ILENE McCOY

I once made matching dresses and self lined bolero chiffon jackets for
DD and tiny DGD. I thought I had all my ducks lined up when I started
on the tiny little jacket ( size 3T) well 2 hours later and many new
words coined it was finished. I had pulls, catches every problem you
can imagine. So before tacklng the adult size I took a break and then
rethreaded machine and put in a new needle ( I had replaced the needle
at least twice on small jacket) a new Schmetz needle. I could not
believe the difference --- quality counts.

My suggestion use the best needle you can (schmets if possible)
preferable size 9 sharps, (if you get any pulls or snags another knew
needle the tiniest barb will cause you large greef.

Ilene

Old September 8th 04, 05:52 PM
Irish Girl 71

Use iron-on hem tape to keep it from fraying, if you need to do a turned
hem. Otherwise, you can use tissue or a tear-away stabilizer to make the
task easier.

Lea

"Sew-Sew Lady" wrote in message
om...
First, and foremost, my condolences on being given a Vogue pattern.
For the chiffon: Be sure to use a very small needle, size 9. Handle the
fabric as little as possible to prevent raveling. Maybe cut the fabric

just
a little bigger than the pattern to allow a little more seam allowance

(and
more room to ravel). Perfectly matching thread is a must for the narrow

hem
on this fabric.
Patience and a light touch will be the most useful.
Good luck.

. ..

Old September 16th 04, 01:49 PM
mike & pauline

I am probably too late to help but.......A quick suggestion for the
ruffle.....where the fabric is chiffon and lite....have you thought
about cutting the strip twice the finished width plus seam allowances
and then just folding the fabric over, doubling the fabric strip and
having the raw edges caught in the seam? Pauline/Boston