Dinner!

Old March 21st 04, 08:28 PM

Default Dinner!

Ha, bet you're thinking this is OT, right?
I found a beautiful deep, true red damask tablecloth and 21--yes,
count 'em, 21! matching napkins for $2.00! Most of them never used.
Plus a delicate white hand-crocheted cloth for $1.00. Feels like linen
thread was used making it, and looks like it was spun by a spider, it is
so airy.
The bad news: the linen crocheted piece needs a couple of mends, and
I've already begun ripping all of the hem stitching out of the 21!--yes,
count 'em, 21! napkins. I anticipate doing the same to the tablecloth,
which is long enough to fit my antique mahogany dining table.
Everything was stitched with a heavyweight off-white thread,
complimented by thick backstitching, knots. uneven stitches, seam ends
skewed beyond the cloth, and hems not properly turned and caught, so
that the two or three napkins which had been used were ravelling out
along the edges. I think all the hems were turned to the wrong side of
the cloth, after a close examination.
Despite having run my thread ripper up under a fingernail, I'm happy
skipping and dancing as I rip. Maybe that's _why_ I tortured myself...
You're all invited to dinner--I hope to have the repairs finished by
Feb 14th, the red being appropriate for St.Valentine's Day.
Cea

Old March 21st 04, 10:30 PM
Pogonip

[...]

Will this be a job for the rolled-hem setting on the serger?
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old March 22nd 04, 01:24 AM
SewStorm

You're all invited to dinner--I hope to have the repairs finished by
Feb 14th, the red being appropriate for St.Valentine's Day.

I accept, Cea. This is Valentine's Day of 2005, right?

tee hee

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old March 22nd 04, 01:34 PM
mamahays

wrote in message

Ha, bet you're thinking this is OT, right?
I found a beautiful deep, true red damask tablecloth and 21--yes,
count 'em, 21! matching napkins for $2.00! Most of them never used.

snip
Despite having run my thread ripper up under a fingernail, I'm happy
skipping and dancing as I rip. Maybe that's _why_ I tortured myself...
You're all invited to dinner--I hope to have the repairs finished by
Feb 14th, the red being appropriate for St.Valentine's Day.
Cea

Oh oh!!! I'll be there. I can even stop and pick Karen up on the way.
My mini-van will seat 7. I'm sure there are other folks between my house
and yours. lol

Sounds like a failed exeperiment in hand sewing happened with those hems.
But you got a heckuva deal on a new project. Hey I was excited when I
saw that the damask linen tablecloth (that came along with the doilies) from
DH's Grandmother's estate had 8 napkins. So you know I'm pea green that you
got 21!!!! That's great.

Do you crochet too? Will you be able to repair the crocheted cloth? That
really is heartbreaking that it isn't in good shape.

What do you want me to bring to dinner? (I'm baking biscotti today. mmmm)

Sharon
--
---
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time and just annoys the

Old March 22nd 04, 01:48 PM
SewStorm

I can even stop and pick Karen up on the way

Sounds like a plan, Sharon!

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old March 23rd 04, 01:45 PM

Dinner!

Think I'll answer everyone in one fell swoop:
ARE YOU ALL CRAZY????
Trish--hemstitch 21 napkins and a full length tablecloth by hand???
asks solicitously:
Did you finish weaving your own straightjacket before they let you out?
Joanne--roll hem? Having opened the napkin corners to find them chewed
up--I think the maker was going to do a mitered corner, slashed the
corners unevenly, then couldn't make a miter. I'd lose a lot more fabric
trying to serge a rolled hem, ditto the roll hem foot on a reg. machine.
The weight of this damask, combined with the occasional open work in
the weave, is asking me for a heavier folded hem, so I plan to reverse
the hems (cause I like the 'wrong' side better for the napkin face),
tidy them up, miter the corners, then re-hem with a slightly narrower
hand-folded, machine stitched hem, using quality thread. All of the old
thread is picked out, so I'm ready to operate.
more below---
---
(mamahays)
wrote:
=A0=A0Ha, bet you're thinking this is OT, right? =A0 I found a
beautiful deep, true red damask tablecloth and 21--yes,
count 'em, 21! matching napkins for $2.00!
snip
_why_ I tortured myself... =A0 You're all invited to dinner--I hope to
have the repairs finished by
Feb 14th, the red being appropriate for St.Valentine's Day. =A0 =A0 =A0
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Cea
---
Sharon, picking up the flung gauntlet, replies:
Oh oh!!! I'll be there. I can even stop and pick Karen up on the way.
My mini-van will seat 7. I'm sure there are other folks between my house
and yours. lol
---
Great! I love a crowd: don't forget Karen's DD!
The more, the rowdier! {And, Miss Karen, smartie pants, all of the
thread removal is finished, so there! Pbbbtttttt!}
And we could all go down to the beach after dinner, and throw rocks at
the bikini babes!
---
Sounds like a failed experiment in hand sewing happened with those
hems. But you got a heckuva deal on a new project.
---
No, it was machine sewed...after a fashion.
I did remember to take a pic of one, so will, some day, post it.
---
Hey I was excited when I saw that the damask linen tablecloth (that
came along with the doilies) from DH's Grandmother's estate had 8
napkins. So you know I'm pea green that you got 21!!!! That's great.
---
It's lovely that you now own your GM's damask napery--8 napkins is
good; 21 indicates the over-purchase of red damask, and a limited
imagination. ; )
I'm debating making a couple of pillow slipcovers out of four or five
of them, and my sis, who loves red in the kitchen, will probably get a
set. Every year, I give her a Christmas gift of a big box of vintage
kitchen goodies, all with at least a spot of red on it. It's her fav
gift. )
Got a start on it already-- found a four-piece red striped stoneware
container set on Sat.
Last year, she gave me a collection of tiny vintage sewing
implements. We feed each other's addictions.
---
Do you crochet too? Will you be able to repair the crocheted cloth?
That really is heartbreaking that it isn't in good shape.
---
Kinda-sorta; I can fake it for small repairs. I have books on most
needlework/sewing processes, so I'll dig the crochet book out and cram
for the exam. Over the years, I've picked up quite a few crocheted
pieces with holes/tears. The plan is to one day have a marathon
repair-a-rend day. Some finds are just too pretty to cut up for pillow
top pieces.
---
What do you want me to bring to dinner? (I'm baking biscotti today.
mmmm)
Sharon
---
Great! I never met a bread I don't love, and
biscotti--oooo---chocolate with slivered almonds and a choc. topping?
I'm still sulking over the burnt scones. I need a new oven, and hate to
think about buying one.
Well, happy thrifting, everyone!
Cea

Old March 23rd 04, 06:09 PM
SewStorm

And we could all go down to the beach after dinner, and throw rocks at
the bikini babes!

Now there's a plan, Cea!!!

Especially after we eat bread, biscotti, etc. We'll be all primed! LOL
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old March 23rd 04, 06:34 PM
Emily

Any one from TX going? We could take my Jeep, stop at this wonderful fabric
store in Jackson, TN on the way up or back. Gosh, I haven't been to VA
Beach in 12 years, I love it there. All excited with anticipation!
Emily

Old March 23rd 04, 06:42 PM

Dinner!

snip all relevant details
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0You're all invited to dinner--I hope to have the
repairs finished by Feb 14th, the red being appropriate for
St.Valentine's Day.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
Cea
---
It should be obvious by now that I live in a different time-space
continuum than y'all. This provides the proof you need.
Lest you think it makes me certifiable: actually, I never got my
annual box of Godiva chocolates on the 14th, so it may as well have
never occurred. The chocolate lack can be blamed on me, so heed this
advice: NEVER start a diet before Feb.14. Never.
Cea contemplating loss as she eats another burned scone:
never...

[Ganoksin] The 9th Annual Tucson Orchid Dinner Ganoksin Polymer Clay 0 January 11th 05 02:57 AM
Dinner set pricing scrappy Pottery 1 November 12th 03 12:48 AM
Going to Quilt Show in Harwich, MA - need dinner suggestions Kathy Quilting 0 August 3rd 03 01:04 PM
FA triangle dinner bells granpaw Marketplace 0 August 2nd 03 06:21 PM