Crepe backed satin

Old December 19th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sarah Dale

Default Crepe backed satin

S R Glickman wrote:

As there are princess seams on this jacket I wanted to know if the
curver foot ( I have both a 5/8" and a 1/4" one) would work on the
crepe backed satin?

OK - this is a new one to me - what is a curver foot?

TIA!

Sarah
Old December 20th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Sarah Dale wrote:

S R Glickman wrote:

As there are princess seams on this jacket I wanted to know if the
curver foot ( I have both a 5/8" and a 1/4" one) would work on the
crepe backed satin?

OK - this is a new one to me - what is a curver foot?

http://www.justcurves.biz/

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 20th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

S R Glickman wrote:
Grr! ARGH! Yup, I know that sort...

Triple ARGH!! Especially when I sewed the wrong two pieces of lining
together and ruined one of them trying to take out the stitches and
had to cut another piece (

There must be a better explanation of sewing this type of facing
all-in-one with neck somewhere.

Yes, the 5/8" should work just fine, but again, experiment and report
back!

Not very successful I'm afraid. Much easier to make lots of snips and
fit it in normally. That's with the lining - I haven't tried the
fabric yet. I've used it on quite a few sleeve heads quite
successfully.

Ah, well... Lining is always okkard stuff! Try more experiments with
the CBS and see how that goes. You might be surprised.

The threads have now arrived so I can get on with finishing the skirt
seams and doing the waistband and hem - and try to forget about the
jacket!!!

Yup, just give it a few days neglect and it'll soon fall into line!

Maybe it'll be easier when I go back to it. It can't be any harder
).

BTW the pattern describes itself as 'average' !

Oh the pattern is average all right... But that fabric isn't!

Old December 26th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Rosefolly

I see what you are saying about using poly crepe back satin. I tried
it once and just hated it myself. Didn't like the feel of it. I had a
dress about 3/4 of the way done and ended up throwing it away. I just
knew I'd never wear it. What about silk? It is still as slippery,
but do you find all the puckering, pressing, and other problems with
it? I've sewn with silk charmeuse but not yet with any of the crepes.

Rosefolly

Old December 26th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

S R Glickman wrote:

On 26 Dec 2006 09:10:31 -0800, "Rosefolly"
wrote:

I see what you are saying about using poly crepe back satin. I tried
it once and just hated it myself. Didn't like the feel of it. I had a
dress about 3/4 of the way done and ended up throwing it away.

Actually, I didn't find the material itself too much of a problem. It
was the lousy pattern instructions that caused most of the problems!!

I don't find it too much of a problem either: you just have to know what
you can do with it and recognise that in some areas it's not very
forgiving...

Update - the skirt is just awaiting the right shoes so I can measure
the hemline. The jacket just needs hooks and eyes, which I don't
have, and shoulder pads which I need to find )

The outfit looks really nice on her. I'm glad I did it - thanks Kate
for convincing me to have a go - but I will NOT be making that jacket
again. (I hope!!)

Which jacket pattern is it again? I'd like to know ehich to avoid...

Thanks again to all who offered help and advice.

You're very welcome.

Old December 26th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

S R Glickman wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 20:59:58 +0000, Kate XXXXXX
wrote:

Which jacket pattern is it again? I'd like to know ehich to avoid...

Butterick B4603.

Thanks again

Susan

Ah... Too much ease in the sleeve head? I have a trick for that,
learned from Teri Jones, developed by Kenneth King.

Old December 26th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

S R Glickman wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:38:40 +0000, Kate XXXXXX
wrote:

Ah... Too much ease in the sleeve head? I have a trick for that,
learned from Teri Jones, developed by Kenneth King.

Go on then - what's the trick?

Susan

Well, according to Kenneth, you only need between an inch and an inch
and a half ease in the sleeve cap. Any more and you WILL get ruckles,
especially on crisp or bloody-minded fabric! Silk dupion and crepe back
satin instantly spring to mind...

Measure the armskye seamline, and the seamline of the sleeve. If
there's more than an inch and a half difference, reduce the sleeve cap
until you have the right amount. You do this by slashint down from the
seam towards the point at which a line drawn vertically from the seam
matching dot hits a line drawn between the front and back halves of the
sleeve under-arm seam... The middle of the bell curve, as it were. If
the sleeve cap is fairly flat, you can do this at one point where the
dot is, but if the sleeve cap is a narrow hump, do it in two or three
mini-slashes. Just overlap the edges f the slashes until the seam line
has the right amount of ease in it, and true up the cutting line. Do
this BEFORE making any adjustments for fat or skinny arms.

I like to trace off the sleeve pattern and do the alterations on a copy,
so I have the unaltered pattern to refer to if things go wrong!

This, and a whole pile of other nifty things, appear in Kenneth D King's
CD book, Cool Tricks, available from his web site:
http://www.kennethdking.com/ (NAYY, just a very happy customer! )

Old December 27th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Joy Beeson

wrote:

What about silk? It is still as slippery,
but do you find all the puckering, pressing, and other problems with
it? I've sewn with silk charmeuse but not yet with any of the crepes.

I haven't sewn crepe-back satin, but I have a silk-crepe blouse. (An
ankle-length blouse, but that is another story.) I don't recall any
particular trouble with it. I did all the top stitching by hand, but
that was so that I could use ravelings and make sure that the thread
would continue to match after the shirt had been washed.

I did have trouble with the ravelings: the warp threads (I *think* it
was the warp threads; there are stills scraps around, so I could check
if anybody cared) were floss, and exploded into fluff when raveled
out. They would have worked fine if waxed, but I couldn't keep the
thread together long enough to wax it. The weft threads were
over-twisted -- that's what "crepe" means, after all -- and, when
dangled, never did stop spinning, not even when I folded them in half
and let them ply themselves. Repeated wetting, dangling, and waxing
made the plied threads useable.

The blouse is lovely-- crepe sort of sparkles -- and I wore it last
Sunday with my new black T-shirt slip and my old black-and-gold
paisley skirt. Pity there's only one day a year I can wear it.

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing