machine opinions please

Old March 13th 05, 04:07 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Kate
Dicey of Customer of PlusNet plc (http://www.plus.net) uttered

Those things are known in some places as Touch & swear!

Or "Touch and Jam"
--

AJH
alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo
Old March 16th 05, 01:28 PM
Ward

"IMS" wrote in message

snipped

Three years ago purchased a used top of the line Singer 401 for $100
(this machine was the best available in the 1950s) and it was by far the
best SM purchase I made. All metal, gear driven (no belts), a boatload
of built in decorative stitches, and will sew through anything you can
fit under the foot. The old machines are so much better than the new
ones available for the same $$ (or less). Now I have over 50 vintage
machines; I took a SM repair class and can now repair them as well.
And, I sew and quilt up a storm.

-Irene

--------------
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
--Mae West
--------------

Hello Irene,

I have a old Singer machine (black in a wood cabinet) that belonged to my
grandmother who bought it in the 50's. I'm sorry to say it's just sitting
around looking like an antique. It probably still works. Do you have any
problems getting these old machines in cabinets serviced? I think I'll open
the machine today and look for a model number or something that will
indicate it's model. My grandmother was very efficient. I have a green box
filled with all kinds of attachment for the machine including and a separate
button hole thing. Now that I'm typing this, I can't believe I never tried
the machine. I'll bet it hasn't been run in over 20 years.

Liz

Old March 17th 05, 06:06 AM
Pogonip

Ward wrote:
Hello Irene,

I have a old Singer machine (black in a wood cabinet) that belonged to my
grandmother who bought it in the 50's. I'm sorry to say it's just sitting
around looking like an antique. It probably still works. Do you have any
problems getting these old machines in cabinets serviced? I think I'll open
the machine today and look for a model number or something that will
indicate it's model. My grandmother was very efficient. I have a green box
filled with all kinds of attachment for the machine including and a separate
button hole thing. Now that I'm typing this, I can't believe I never tried
the machine. I'll bet it hasn't been run in over 20 years.

Liz

Chances are good that it doesn't need a "pro" servicing. Get a manual
for it, and in there will be instructions for cleaning and oiling. If
you need more information, come back and ask. You do want to thoroughly
clean the tension assembly and the bobbin race.

Here's a good reference:
http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachineshop/index.html

--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/
Old March 21st 05, 12:42 AM
Victoria Hirt

For anyone who sews regularly buying a new sewing machine is a
very big deal. They will most likely keep it longer than they will
keep whatever car they are currently driving. So if they aren't happy
with their purchase, they are going to be unhappy for a very long
time. What follows are just some ideas on buying the right sewing
machine for you.

When I purchased a new machine several years ago, I wrote down all
the features that I felt were important to me, the price range I was
comfortable with, and the names and addresses of the various dealers
in the area. Today I would also visit the Web sites of the various
manufacturers.
Next I got brochures from all the companies (available at larger
quilt shows) and read though them carefully. Armed with the lists and
after reading all the sales brochures on each machine available, I
could pretty much ignore the "sales pitch" and knew going in what I
needed in a sewing machine and I tested each machine based on MY
criteria.

NOTE: When I did the testing, I left my checkbook, credit cards, etc.
at home so I couldn't be tempted into buying one on the spot if I met
a really good salesman.

After visiting the various dealers I went home and looked over
everything and bought the one I thought fit me best. I started out
thinking that I would buy a Pfaff and wound up with a Viking. From
that day to this I have been 100% satisfied with the machine I got.
BUT that was the best sewing machine for ME, what I needed from a
machine, and the way I sewed. Each sewer is different.
I know another woman who bought a Bernina and hates it and another
who doesn't understand how to use her sewing machine. Another woman
couldn't figure out the programming on a Viking. Yet there are LOTS
of satisfied customers who have each machine. It's because they have
the right machine for THEM.

Before buying, separate need from want. While it might be prestigious
to own the top of the line sewing machine, if you aren't happy with it
or don't know how to use it, you have wasted your money and will
probably waste a lot of time trying to use a machine that isn't suited
for you. My best advice to you is don't take other people's advice on
which specific sewing machine to buy.

Questions you need to answer:
· What kind of sewer are you?
o Are you an expert, average sewer, or a beginner? If you are a
beginner you might want to get a cheaper model right now and wait a
few years to see what kind of sewing you wind up doing. I started out
making my own clothes and now almost exclusively do quilting.
o Are you a professional seamstress, professional quilt maker or a
costume designer that may need a heavy duty or specialized sewing
machine?
· What do you sew?
o Do you make slipcovers?
o Do you routinely sew very large items such as drapery?
o What kind of fabrics do you sew?
o Do you usually use upholstery fabric, silks, knits, denim,
cottons, or a mix?
· Where are you planning on keeping your sewing machine and where do
you plan on using it?
o Are you going to get it out of a closet each time you use it?
Maybe the weight of each machine is something you need to consider.
o Will you be sewing on the kitchen table (not recommended, but many
of us started out that way.)
o Do you have a room dedicated to sewing where your machine will
stay undisturbed?
o Do you have small children that might play with the tension dial?
Some reset automatically?
o Do you have a sewing cabinet? Will you be buying one in the
future?
· What features will best help you in YOUR kind of sewing?
o If you do mostly quilting? Then maybe you only need a few basic
stitches rather than a whole array of stitches.
o If you are making clothing it's very important how you finish
seams in certain garments. Do you have a serger or will you depend
heavily on various zigzag stitches?
o Do you do appliqué using a satin stitch? Some machines satin
stitch better than others.
o Does it have a freearm? Is this something you need?
o Will you use a large assortment of decorative stitches? I have
known people who got machines high end machines with vast stitch
assortments and have never used them and they would have been just as
happy with a cheaper machine.
· Do you want an embroidery machine?
o Is it something you would use or just something you want? This is
a distinction I had to make. While I think embroidery machines are
neat, they aren't something I would have much need for personally.
· What do I need to avoid?
o If the one you are looking at is computerized:
§ Can you figure out how to program it? How easy it is for you to
learn programming (a must in some machines)?
Note: If you find using a computer difficult, probably getting the
most computerized machine that you have to constantly adjust won't be
the best for you.
o What features wouldn't you use and don't you need? Why pay money
for 100 decorative stitches if you don't need them?
· Transporting it:
o Are you going to take it with you to classes?
o Will you take it on an airline?
o Does it pack up easily if you need to take it someplace?
o What kind of carrying case does it have?
· Basics & Extras
o What kind of needles does it take? Are they expensive? Are they
readily available?
o What feet/attachments comes with the sewing machine?
· What kind of extra feet/attachments are available that you need,
etc. Are they expensive? Are they readily available?
o What type of instruction classes are given FREE
o Are there additional classes offered?
o Can it be updated with new cards, attachments, programs, etc.?
o Warranty.
o Routine Maintenance
§ What kind of service is available in your area for cleaning and
maintenance of your machine?
§ Can you afford the routine maintenance?
· Features:
o How easy is it to wind the bobbin?
o Does it have an option on the needle position that enables it to
have the needle down when you stop sewing?
o Does it sew sideways (this was an important feature at the time I
bought my machine because I was embellishing sweatshirts)

On 11 Mar 2005 11:49:47 -0800, "carolyn"
wrote:

I am looking for a basic sewing machine. I have narrowed my choices
down to models from Elna, Babylock, and Husqvarna/Viking. I know very
little about the quality, reliability and service of any of the
manufacturers. Any information or opinions would be a great help to
me.

TIA

carolyn

Old March 21st 05, 02:08 PM
Ward

Thanks for the information. I think I'll give this a try. Nothing
ventured, nothing gained ... right?

Old March 21st 05, 02:47 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article ps.com,
Ward of AllTheNewsgroups.com uttered
Thanks for the information. I think I'll give this a try. Nothing
ventured, nothing gained ... right?

Do you know what model it is?

At a rough guess, I'd echo the other advice. Give it a good clean out.

Carefully undo the stitch plate. The feed-dog will contain a layer of
fluff so compacted it will be like cardboard. Pick it out with a pin

Take the shuttle race out and defluff it the same way *but* *beware*: if
it's a model 66/ 99/ 201 with the drop-in bobbin, you will see a bit of
bright red fluff/ felt to the side of the shuttle race. *Don't* get rid
of this. It's purpose is that you put a spot of oil on it from time to
time and it gently seeps into the works from there.

Oil the rest from the outside as per the diagram in the manual. If you
don't have the manual, you can find one on the web quite easily - if you
draw a blank with Treadle On try http://www.ISMACS.net

Old April 6th 05, 04:22 AM
Rebecca Tousey

I have a Janome Decor- twin to the Elna decor, and my sis has a H/V Oscar.
We both like ours very much. Around here the H/V dealer has better sale
prices but the Janome dealer is better with servicing & repairing. My last
machine was a Singer my MIL gave me for a wedding gift 30+ years ago(nobody
has a better MIL than mine, though once in a while I have heard of some who
might be as nice) I loved the Singer for years, but it finally got old and
cranky. My sis owned a secondhand White and hated trying to sew with it.
When she finally got Oscar she found out that she really did like to sew.
Neither of us have needed any repairs yet- 3 years for me and 2 for sis.
Jane in NE Ohio
oups.com...

Old April 6th 05, 04:44 AM
Rebecca Tousey

If you have one of the OLD Singers, you have a jewel. My Mom still uses
hers. It made the nicest buttonholes, (that attachment needs a new screw).
It has attachments for pin tucks, ruffles, sewing on lace and trims, rolled
edges, darning, quilting, zippers & cording, and more I can't remember. Most
of my & my sisters' clothes were made on that machine. It has it's own
cabinet and operates with a knee lever instead of a foot pedal. Its only
drawback is that it doesn't zig-zag. Oil it good before you try it out with
good sewing machine oil- a drop or 2 in each little opening, and hand turn
it a few times to loosen it up. If it is really stiff open it up & spray
with WD40. wipe it, let it dry, then oil it. Cleaning, oiling, & new needles
are all most of these old Singers need to purr like kittens.
Jane in NE Ohio

groups.com...

Old April 6th 05, 07:52 AM
BEI Design

"Rebecca Tousey" wrote in message
machine was a Singer my MIL gave me for a wedding gift 30+ years
ago(nobody
has a better MIL than mine, though once in a while I have heard of
some who
might be as nice)

Sorry, but mine was the BEST! No, really, she was. She was
supportive, she *loved* *me*, she never once criticized me, the way I
kept our home, the way I treated my husband (her only child), or the
way I raised our children. Never, in over 45 years that I knew her.
I loved her so much I took her into our home and cared for her the
last two years of her life. I still miss her.

My greatest ambition is to be the same kind of MIL she was to my two
sons-in-law.

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 November 2nd 04 11:47 PM
NEW Machine Knit Patterns! Marge Parker Marketplace 0 August 28th 04 01:54 PM
Welcome to RCTQ FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 10 November 3rd 03 05:43 PM
Old Sewing Machine Advice Diana Curtis Beads 9 August 22nd 03 06:01 AM
Sewingtrader Ebay auctions - Machine Embroidery and Machine Knititng items. DS Sewing 3 July 25th 03 05:17 PM