Land Rover Commercial

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 23rd 04, 08:44 AM
annemarie

"Uncle John" wrote in message
(MIKandCOL) wrote in
:

Have you seen the land rover commercial where a couple guys are
walking along the road hitchiking? One of the guys says his goal in
life is to work with ceramics and pottery. A land rover picks them up

It may be surprising to some but the vast majority of our populations
couldn't care less about ceramics and pottery or any other craft object
or fine art. After all it is a very middle class occupation and market.

Apart from Otago Polytechnic, ceramics have disappeared from all other
tertiary institutions in New Zealand. At the end of last year ten tutors
were made redundent from the Otago Polytechnic School of Art. Two of
these were from the ceramics department leaving only one tutor to run the
show. I would be surprised if the ceramics department lasts another year.

I would estimate that in our total population of 4 million there would
only be less than ten people making a good full time living from making
pottery. There is a larger group who make a part time income from their
pottery, while they are working away at something else.

Interestingly enough I posted a an ealier message looking to contact any
potters out there who were grossing more than $50,000 a year to discuss
business plans etc.. $50,000 gross would be the minimum to make a full
time living. I have not had a reply.

We have all missed the boat and I feel that is because over the years we
have ceased to educate the younger people into the love of hand made
objects and craft.

Regards

John W

I agree that educating people is the key. I went to a weekend demonstration
by Jeff Ostriech (sp) recently. In his opinion in America pottery and hand
made "stuff" is popular again and selling well??
Do other Americans experience this? Hope it happens here in NZ.

Commercial Bertrand M. Jewelry 0 July 20th 04 04:10 PM
commercial manufacture of lenses and mirrors Allan Adler Glass 13 January 8th 04 12:44 AM
Blatant Commercial Post, But its such a deal!! Javahut Glass 18 November 22nd 03 02:19 PM
Commercial Glassblowers? GOD Glass 13 September 4th 03 01:53 PM