OT, sorta: No chance to make beads grrrr!

Old July 1st 03, 08:08 AM
Kalera Stratton

Default OT, sorta: No chance to make beads grrrr!

OK, so, for a week I've been waiting for a chance to go torch. My camera
even finally showed up, MORE incentive to get out there and work!
Saturday, too much was going on for me to make more than two beads. OK
then.

Yesterday, I managed to make eight mediocre beads. Sigh.

Today, DH was home all day. I waited and hoped and planned for the
moment the baby fell asleep; she never did.

???

Is it even possible for a 4-week-old infant to be awake for 18 hours?
She did nod off for 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there during the day,
but never for longer than it took for me to figure out she was asleep
and try to leave the room. Mostly, she cried and nursed all day. My
boobs are SORE!

Now I feel so frustrated about not having time to make beads, I don't
know what to do! Besides hope that she goes to sleep tonight; she's been
viewing me through slitted eyes as I rock her bassinet with my foot and
type this...

--
-Kalera
Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03
See us at www.strattonhome.org
Old July 1st 03, 12:00 PM
Marisa Cappetta

(Kalera)

Some times the mum needs mothering! DS would sleep well for a few days and
then have an awake marathon out of the blue. I didn't know whether I was
Arther or Martha.

I consoled myself by telling myself that by the time he was 21, I wouldn't
be getting up to him in the night! I hope you're little one sleeps through
the night soon.

--
Marisa (AU)
ESBC

Old July 1st 03, 07:55 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
Is it even possible for a 4-week-old infant to be awake for 18 hours?
She did nod off for 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there during the day,
but never for longer than it took for me to figure out she was asleep
and try to leave the room. Mostly, she cried and nursed all day. My
boobs are SORE!

Yes, it's possible. She's probably going through a growth spurt (there are
usually a couple of big ones around 3 weeks and again at 6). Are you using
Lansinoh on your breasts? Getting enough to drink? Are you sure she's got a
proper latch - check to make sure both the upper and lower lip are everted.
Have you tried wearing her down for a nap in the sling? If she's also crying
constantly, you might want to have the ped. check her ears - she might have
an ear infection. It's rare for a BF infant to have one, but you never know.
With all the humidity/rain/molds in the air, anything is possible.

E-mail me offlist if you want to talk more - I've BTDT, and recently!

Barbara

Old July 1st 03, 08:49 PM
Beadbimbo

Hang in there Karera! She's gotta sleep sometime!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old July 1st 03, 09:50 PM
Dr. Sooz

Oh, man, I usually don't say anything, or *think* anything, either, because I
don't KNOW anything. Except that I was once a kid, of course, and I might know
what I'd have liked.....which isn't always what a kid *needs*. I am totally
ignorant and aware of that fact. But I'm a dog expert! (Was a pro)

Lol! Sooz, you remind me of my friend who always had opinions on what other
people should do with their children. She didn't actively give out advice,
but maybe later, when the person wasn't around, would say, "What she should
do is..........." and then she'd laugh and say, "I have all the answers on
how to raise children and I didn't even have any!"

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
http://www.vibrantjewels.com/jewelry/links.htm
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Old July 2nd 03, 01:32 AM
Kalera Stratton

In article ,
"Diana Curtis" wrote:

Growth spurt. Welcome to hell. She will get your milk supply sorted out in
no time and get back to a schedule of sorts soon.
Meg didnt sleep much either. She seemed to be able to sense when I was out
of the room and would wake too.. still does that even to this day!
Arrrghh...
She will get older and you will have more time to make beads, I promise! I
can now make quilts occasionally, but when Meg was little there were days I
felt I had no time to myself, even to do something as simple as eat! This
too shall pass.
Hugs,
Diana

Oh my gosh, it is a growth spurt! Why don't I remember these things from
the older kids? I must have been so tired that I blocked it out. Geez!
I'm REALLY glad she chose a day when the other two are at their dad's
house, so they couldn't be swarming me all day. (Children's First Rule:
the amount of attention demanded must be in direct converse proportion
to the amount of energy parent has available; therefore, when parent is
fresh and eager to interact, ignore parent and play as far away as
possible, whereas if parent is exhausted and under pressure, needs must
be presented in unbearably whiny tone every 1.5 minutes.)

As far as eating... LOL! I'm living on jerky, nuts, and nectarines right
now!

On the plus side, Ophelia slept for five hours straight last night (yay
sleeping!) and woke up with a dry diaper, which she promtly drenched
just in time for DH to change her. Go Ophelia! Now, I just hope she
sleeps a bit today... I don't just WANT to make beads, I HAVE to make
beads because I do not, not, NOT want to go back to work full-time in
two months.

See us at www.strattonhome.org
Old July 2nd 03, 01:51 AM
Dr. Sooz

I was kidding! Totally! It was supposed to be funny.

Everyone knows exactly how to raise children, and this knowledge mysteriously
evaporates the moment they have children of their own. As for me, I mutter a

lot, tell everyone that they're loved at every opportunity, and figure that
my baby will never care if the carpet is spotless, but she'll always know
that her Mama had time to play.

I'll let you know in 20 years if I was right.

Kathy N-V

~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 2nd 03, 02:58 AM
Beadbimbo

This friend was so outspoken, sometimes I wanted to smack her and other
times I wished I was just like her! Lol. I just learned to take her with a
grain of salt because she was very opinionated, but a really good friend
too. She moved away about 5 years ago, although we're still in touch. Your
post just reminded me of her and of a lot of laughs we had at things she
would say. Sometimes the words just came out before the brain was in gear.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old July 2nd 03, 03:32 AM
Diana Curtis

That was basically my philosophy in child rearing too, Kathy. I loved my
son, let him know he was loved, and gave him my time and attention, and gave
him the responsibilty for his own choices (at the times when he was ready to
handle that job) and since he has become a man grown I have asked him if he
thought I did a good job. He said I was a good mom. I tell him, I had good
material to work with. :-)
And I am proud of the man he is, the child he was, the father he is to his
son...
But as to the carpet being spotless..well... lets just say he noticed, and
is a Much better house tender than I will ever be. Did he care? Ill try to
remember to ask!
Being a parent means not having all the right answers and trying to figure
out the right questions!
Diana, going through it again, none the wiser....for each child is unique.

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Kathy N-V" wrote *gently snipped*