beach glass?

Old May 12th 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
No Body

Default beach glass?

How on eareth do you tell the difference between real beach glass and
glass that someone polished in a rock tumbler???

Old May 12th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
adrian

HI

No Body wrote:
How on eareth do you tell the difference between real beach glass and
glass that someone polished in a rock tumbler???

I wouldn't think you could tell just by looking - after all, it's the
same process - just that the rock tumbler does it rather faster...

Adrian
Old May 12th 09, 11:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Steve[_3_]

"No Body" wrote in message
How on eareth do you tell the difference between real beach glass and
glass that someone polished in a rock tumbler???

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but Why would it matter? It
isn't like beach glass is some long sought after limited commodity. It
isn't particularly rare or collectible in itself to have some forgery value,
so why does it matter? whichever means gives the end result is what I would
think would be important, and how it is used even more so.

to answer your question, carbon dating could give you a precise age of the
material, but don't know that it is quite worth it.

Old May 13th 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
charlie

"Steve" wrote in message

"No Body" wrote in message
How on eareth do you tell the difference between real beach glass and
glass that someone polished in a rock tumbler???

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but Why would it matter? It
isn't like beach glass is some long sought after limited commodity. It
isn't particularly rare or collectible in itself to have some forgery
value, so why does it matter? whichever means gives the end result is
what I would think would be important, and how it is used even more so.

to answer your question, carbon dating could give you a precise age of the
material, but don't know that it is quite worth it.

lick it and see if it's salty?

Old May 13th 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Ron Parker[_2_]

On Tue, 12 May 2009 18:23:06 -0400, Steve wrote:
to answer your question, carbon dating could give you a precise age of the
material, but don't know that it is quite worth it.

Only if it's really old and was originally part of a living thing. And
even then, "precise" is a relative term. Wikipedia seems to say that
for samples less than 10,000 years old, dating to within 40 years either
way is considered reasonable.

Old May 14th 09, 02:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Henry[_3_]

On May 12, 10:38*am, "No Body" wrote:
* * How on eareth do you tell the difference between real beach glass and
glass that someone polished in a rock tumbler???

If you do a search at Wikipedia for "sea glass" you will see a section
on artificial sea glass. The article seems to indicate that there is
a way to tell artificial from the real. And, it looks like the real
has more value for the collectors.

Might be fun for you to get involved with someone in the know and
learn how to tell the difference. I may move back to Florida and
start collecting it. I used to think it was worthless.

Henry
Old May 15th 09, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
David Billington

Steve wrote:
"No Body" wrote in message

How on eareth do you tell the difference between real beach glass and
glass that someone polished in a rock tumbler???

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but Why would it matter? It
isn't like beach glass is some long sought after limited commodity. It
isn't particularly rare or collectible in itself to have some forgery value,
so why does it matter? whichever means gives the end result is what I would
think would be important, and how it is used even more so.

to answer your question, carbon dating could give you a precise age of the
material, but don't know that it is quite worth it.

Would carbon dating work?. I think that applies to living organisms that
have carbon in them at some level during life and it decreases due to
radioactive decay once dead so the age can be determined. I didn't think
glass normally contained any carbon containing chemicals.
Old May 17th 09, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
nJb[_4_]

On Tue, 12 May 2009 09:38:25 -0500, "No Body"
wrote:

How on eareth do you tell the difference between real beach glass and
glass that someone polished in a rock tumbler???

If they tumbled it in actual beach sand I doubt theres any way to
tell. Why would anybody care? Just curious.

Jack

Making beach glass Kate Beads 18 February 29th 04 03:37 PM
Harry's Beach Glass - too cool lgreene Beads 15 February 26th 04 05:28 AM
AD: The Beach Glass Necklace Juanita Floyd Beads 4 February 20th 04 02:47 AM
Not and AD but maybe off topic? Beach glass pendants. Harry Beads 68 January 20th 04 03:48 PM
For those who want to know.. Making Beach Glass With Your Tumbler! Harry Beads 7 December 22nd 03 09:19 PM