ISO Plastic Sewing "Basket"

Old September 18th 04, 02:51 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default ISO Plastic Sewing "Basket"

Hi Guys,
Delurking for some help. My trusty old, Ol, OLD sewing basket has finally
gone to sewing heaven :*-(. It has to be 10 or 12 years old, has a broken
hinge and deserves a fine, ceremonial burial of some sort. So -- now I am on a
mission to find a replacement. There is one at e-Bay but it is much deeper
than what I am looking for. What I have is the type with the single pull out
molded plastic tray. The lower portion has spool pins and the tray is molded
to hold a bunch of bobbins and has long portions along the sides for seam
ripper, etc.
I have *tons* of stuff stored in convenient containers and thread racks but
the sewing box sits right next to my machine and has most of the wound bobbins
and threads of the most commonly used colors. I don't have a regular sewing
table type thing so have no drawers to keep stuff in. I have a 10 foot long
wall unti that has cupboards on one side, a double sized wall bed in the center
and a pull down table on the other end and this is where my sewing center is.
So -- does anyone know of a source for the old style sewing baskets or
something similar? Obviously, I don't need something all cutsey and
fancy-schmancy nor do I need anything already filled with stuff. The plastic
tackle boxes are the right size but they don't have the spool pins or the inner
tray that will **easily** accommodate bobbins, etc. If I can't find anything
else, I will likely have to make do with one of those type boxes but thought I
would ask here first. I might get lucky and find a tackle box that is the same
size as my sewing basket and just use my molded tray. The spools don't really
need to be stored on spool pins -- they do stand up just fine all by themselves
-- LOL!
Thanks for any leads. I Googled and got all sorts of strange things :-)!
Not at all surprising. Thanks & CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!
Online Photos at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old September 18th 04, 03:01 PM
snowflake

Dont know if its worth a look but art shops do boxes made for art materials
that have compartments! I use a tool box, one made with all those little
bits for nails etc, but looked and looked for a purpose made sewing box and
they were just too tiny for my collection!
Amanda

Old September 18th 04, 10:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

they don't have the spool pins or the inner
tray that will **easily** accommodate bobbins, etc.

Have you seen these? They are excellent bobbin storage: the curvature keeps
one edge of teh bobbin apart enough from its neighbor that you can easily
pick it up:
http://www.notions.fabricstodyefor.c...saver_case.htm
Best bobbin storage I've ever had... they don't come unwound and tangle,
and it can be hung up on a peg or dropped in a drawer or box. Mine lives
on a hook under the sewing table at easy grabbing position.

NAYY to the product, and especially to the retailer-- I chose it
for the picture and a URL that fit one line. Mine came from
a local quilt shop.

Thread lives in plastic silverware drawer dividers that I picked up
at the local dollar store. Unlike the rubbermaid ones I use for our
silverware, these have dividers straight up and down, and no shaping
of the bottom or sides. I suspect they were actually intended for
packaging sets of inexpensive stainless. They live on the shelf under
the sewing machine table.

Kay