Help......Problem with rust marks on quilt.

Old February 8th 05, 11:41 PM
Rapunzel

Default Help......Problem with rust marks on quilt.

I've just recently found this group and have been enjoying reading the large
amounts of mail. I would love some advice if possible.

I am making a quilt using the "quilt as you go method" and have heavily
embroidered and quilted the large middle section. Unfortunately, the type of
quilting that I have used has pulled in the embroidered middle heart and
puffed it out. In order to try and straighten the section, I added further
quilting to no avail. Then I decided to block the section and try stretching
it out. This has worked nicely....but my problem is that the board that I
used for blocking and stretching the quilt has two hinges on it for folding
together. When I wet the entire quilt to block it, the metal hinges created
rust....which has dried and marked three sections on the back of my quilt. I
am not in a position to redo the quilt, so any and all suggestions would be
greatly appreciated. I have not attempted to remove these rust stains yet in
case I caused further problems. Please help with advice. Thankyou.

Old February 9th 05, 01:22 AM
Karen Johnson

Hi!

[...]

I have gotten rust stains out of old quilts (75+ yo) using Biz. I
soaked 'em in the washing machine, sometimes for several days, and it
got nearly every stain out.

You must have very nearly had a heart attack when you saw the rust --
my heart goes out to you!

Good luck!

Karen Johnson

http://www.dabukar.com
Old February 9th 05, 02:48 AM
Ellen

"Rapunzel" wrote in message
[...]

This is the weinie way out -- when I have had a quilt back crisis, I usually
put my label over the crisis. This has led to a couple of quilts with labels
in *cough* odd places. Or you could applique something over it -- maybe
another heart?

Ellen

Old February 9th 05, 02:53 AM
taria

I do think Biz is the greatest! There is a rust remover that
usually can be found in the grocery laundry section. Mom always
kept a bottle of it around and it seemed to work.
Taria

Hi!

Old February 9th 05, 04:34 AM
Polly Esther

Sometimes lemon juice and sunshine will do the trick. Don't know if you
have access to sunshine or not - we haven't seen much of it lately. Polly

Old February 9th 05, 09:57 AM
Estelle Gallagher

I got a stain remover a few years back.I beleive it was a "Stain Devil"They
make them for all types of stains.As I rememberit worked well.
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

Old February 9th 05, 04:58 PM
Roberta Zollner

Welcome! You already have lots of good advice. Mine is to test any chemicals
first on a scrap of your backing fabric, and other main fabrics too if it
will involve the whole quilt! (Personally, I'd go with the strategic label
idea :-)
Roberta in D

Old February 9th 05, 11:30 PM
Rapunzel

"Karen Johnson" wrote in message

I have gotten rust stains out of old quilts (75+ yo) using Biz. I
soaked 'em in the washing machine, sometimes for several days, and it
got nearly every stain out.

You must have very nearly had a heart attack when you saw the rust --
my heart goes out to you!

Good luck!

Karen Johnson

http://www.dabukar.com

Karen, Could you tell me what Biz is. I have not heard of this product.
Thanks.

Old February 9th 05, 11:35 PM
Rapunzel

"Ellen" wrote in message

This is the weinie way out -- when I have had a quilt back crisis, I

usually
put my label over the crisis. This has led to a couple of quilts with

labels
in *cough* odd places. Or you could applique something over it -- maybe
another heart?

Ellen

Ellen, I do like your idea. I've just gone and had another look at
it...probably not a heart, but a lace butterfly would look quite nice on the
back and add a different dimension. Thankyou for the idea.

Old February 10th 05, 12:05 AM
Karen Johnson

Karen, Could you tell me what Biz is. I have not heard of this product.
Thanks.

You can find it in the same aisle with other laundry detergents. It's
an enzyme cleaner, not a detergent or bleach, so it's safe on fabric.
Older quilts are tricky since you don't know how fragile the fabric
is, or how dyefast it is .. and I figure if a product is safe enough
for an antique quilt, it's certainly safe for one I just made!

For info on cleaning antique quilts, see:
http://www.quilthistory.com/cleaning.htm.

There might be something there that will help you, too.

Hope this helps,

Karen Johnson

http://www.dabukar.com